Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

My theory continues to be that Koleosho will push Italy as far as he can.

If he cracks the senior team that's it.

If he grows impatient with Italy, then we can offer him a starting spot, which he won't get with the USA, they are far too deep already and are getting deeper all the time.

I wonder if Koleosho could be tempted by a CMNT starter's role at COPA.

16 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Pretty sure footyeh posted here months back that a switch to Canada was coming 

I was joking, trying to comfort myself because of the dual nationals we lost of late (Morris, Koleosho).

Edited by Sal333

13 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

He is an elevated version of Jebbison right now. He is benefiting from the Italy U21 system. Seems unlikely he commits before he is close to aging out, unless Italy call him to the first team. I don't really see them cynically cap tieing him either, they don't need to. He would have to keep performing, become a real standout and move to a bigger club doing the same before Italy give him a full mens cap imo. 

2025/26 will likely be decision time for him, I can definitely see him biting the carrot of the Olympics in 2026 (Just think we are 3rd choice, probably rightfully so given his background). COPA might well entice him too. He has lots of time on his side though. 

14 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Not a chance. He has the option (as an American kid who grew up in America) to join a really strong U.S program with tons of resources that keep improving.

Or he can join the country of his mom he's never lived in that is an absolute dumpster fire as an association with no resources and seemingly not progressing.

Tough choice.

25 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Not a chance. He has the option (as an American kid who grew up in America) to join a really strong U.S program with tons of resources that keep improving.

Or he can join the country of his mom he's never lived in that is an absolute dumpster fire as an association with no resources and seemingly not progressing.

Tough choice.

No brainer after seeing first hand what the CSA has done to the players.

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

Should never offer a starters role to induce a player.

I normally agree.  And it wouldn’t work anyway.  But this is a kid that would be a huge get for the program - even if it isn’t a position of need for us.  In this case, if I thought it would actually be successful, I would be ok with it.  

2 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Should never offer a starters role to induce a player.

I generally agree but I think it could be done the right way and not be so egregious. Like, I don't think we can say "I promise you will be a starter in X game" and then sign a contract in blood.

What I think we could do is give the player a presentation showing where he would theoretically slot into the starting 11 so the player can imagine what he are getting into. We cannot make promises, but we also don't need to, because a player of Koleosho's quality is very obviusly going to feature in our starting 11 anyways.

It's kind of like Tomori if he were eligible still, we don't need to promise him a starting spot because it's sort of a given.

I am not saying Kolesho starting is as clear cut as Tomori would have been. I just wanted to use a very obvious example to demonstrate the point. IF Tomori would have been 100% guarenteed to start for Canada, Koleosho would be somewhere between 80-90%....so we needn't back ourselves in a corner and promise him a starting role (if it came to that).

I would say Koleosho's odds of being a USA starter (as of today obviously) is more like 20-30%. Aside from Pulisic and Weah, you have Aaronson and Reyna (who I don't fancy as wingers, but Berhalter seems to) and then you have Paredes who is growing in leaps and bounds (recently scored for Wolfsburg).

Meanwhile, Canada has Davies who (for the time being) will be deployed as a defender, and Buchanan. That's pretty much a single player who is clear above Koleosho (in my eyes). Players like Nelson and Schaffleburg would be behind Koleosho and Millar would be close, but I think Luca would get those minutes ahead of him too, considereing how seldom we seem to start Liam right now. 

Edited by Obinna

Couple other dual national updates: 

Ronan Kratt is up to 6 goals and 13 assists in 10 games which I believe is good for 2nd on Bremen II for goal contributions. By far the most assists on the team, even though it looks like BII is blowing away everyone they play.

Gabriel Pellegrino looks like he’s being integrated into Freiburg II- he’s come off the bench 3 times in their last 5 games. Both him and Kratt are 20, we should start seeing if they’re on the way to pro success or not very soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 12:51 AM, An Observer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/oct/11/next-generation-2023-60-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

He made the Guardian's top 60 of the best young talents in world football.  No other Canadians made it.  There are two Americans and two Mexicans on the list.

Just a heads up, Romania’s submission is always through a journalist called Emanuel Rosu, he’s  biased and made a very superficial choice based on hype more than anything. Not that Sali hasn’t got good potential, but for the moment physically, mentally (very questionable attitude) and in terms of decision making, it's complicated.

Hellas Verona’s Ioan Vermesan deserved it for this category imo

If he’s in the US mix at the championship level, him not being good enough for them would be what, dropping down to League One? I dunno, I respect players who are clear about who they want to play for, even when it’s not us. In any case, would be cool if he becomes a player and has a change of heart and pulls a Freddie Freeman and honours his mom by playing for us. 

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If he’s in the US mix at the championship level, him not being good enough for them would be what, dropping down to League One? I dunno, I respect players who are clear about who they want to play for, even when it’s not us. In any case, would be cool if he becomes a player and has a change of heart and pulls a Freddie Freeman and honours his mom by playing for us. 

Is he not on their u-23 b sqaud ? Thought that’s the one he was named to

Yeah Covil was on their U23 B-team, so he's not close to being in the mix with senior team yet. You could say he's on the U23 C-team since their senior team has a lot of U23s like Musah and Reyna

But no doubt he will stick with the US program until he feels it's out of reach. Article says he actually spent his childhood in the US, so he grew up there unlike Musah or Balogun

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I wonder how close we actually were to getting Aiden Morris of the Crew.  He might have been a great fit in a central midfield three for us.

If I am searching for a dual, that d-mid spot would be a good one to see if you can find some prospects.

Don’t think it was that close, think it was overblown. If it was I don’t think the decision would have been made at the gold cup.

https://x.com/canmntbible/status/1729332983520264538?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q
canmnt bible guy saying some bad news apparently about a dual national, but tweeted after that there’s some good news attached to it? No clue what this is referencing. I know Jamaica is making a big dual nationals push, so I wonder if Jebbison, who I think is eligible, decided to play for them or something. 

No idea how legit this guy’s sources are, but he posts a lot about the team, so maybe something to keep an eye on