Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

On 7/20/2022 at 8:18 AM, narduch said:

Will play in Spanish 2nd tier.

It's a great place to go. He won't find it as physical and it's more technical and tactical than Championship. And Oviedo is a great place to live, an easy transition into a new culture. 

He'll have to improve his crappy Canadian Spanish with his fake Mexican tilt though.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/universal-deportes/marcelo-flores-y-otros-mas-se-han-quedado-sin-sueno-mundialista

Saying he misses the WC.

In Oviedo they like him. He started the first 2 games, then they switched to 2 pure strikers up high and he lost his spot. They argue he's been good, pacey and looking for the attacking pass, and could be good for 2nd halfs. So he's having a reasonable start so far.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, narduch said:

Doesn't look like it's going to well for him

I don’t like to see anyone fail, but his people really fumbled all of this.

With the injuries to Oso and Hutch, he most likely would have started at the World Cup, and if he had a good showing, it would of helped his club career.

Now he has disappeared in the Spanish second division, and a Mexican call-up seems to be in the rear view mirror.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 10:21 AM, SoCalTransport said:

I don’t like to see anyone fail, but his people really fumbled all of this.

With the injuries to Oso and Hutch, he most likely would have started at the World Cup, and if he had a good showing, it would of helped his club career.

Now he has disappeared in the Spanish second division, and a Mexican call-up seems to be in the rear view mirror.

Started?  

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

Started?  

We have a lack of depth, and we don't really have a player with his skillset on the roster at the moment.

I would line him up behind David, and have him move the ball forward. We've been playing Osorio in that role, but it's better suited for Flores in my opinion.

Even if you think Osorio is better in that position, it's unlikely he will be healthy or fit to play at the World Cup.

It's theoretical at this point anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

I would venture a guess even if Flores was still on the fence, he wouldn't have been part of a Canadian WC squad.  The Flores camp overplayed their hand.  Them's the breaks.

Definitely overplayed it. Likely, wouldn't make either WC team, but I find players are in such a rush to get called up to international level to highlight themselves as a young star. Seen multiple players get themselves cap tied super early and then finish with under 10 caps with their last cap coming by like age 22. It's one thing if you're a clear young star or not a dual-national, but for guys who are role players, getting yourself locked up for 10 minutes of action at age 18, or just wait until you're like 20/21 and have a better understanding of your role/potential. Imagine if a Junior Hoilett/Steven Vitoria received an England/Portugal callup at like 20 and then probably never would've again. They'd have missed out on like 50 caps and a World Cup appearance. (I know they tried for them, but looking back, they're probably glad they didn't get it)

Edited by rydermike

On 11/8/2022 at 6:14 AM, Ottawafan said:

I would venture a guess even if Flores was still on the fence, he wouldn't have been part of a Canadian WC squad.  The Flores camp overplayed their hand.  Them's the breaks.

I suppose that the Mitrovic camp overplayed its hand as well if making Papa's WC team was the goal. Them's the breaks.