Ballou Tabla

shermanator

23 hours ago, Obinna said:

De Jong at LM is not something I would personally like to see. He did not look good there against UNAL in Champions League. He really does not have the athleticism anymore to play that position. He can do a decent defensive job at LM, but going forward it is basically just service into the box for Larin. He's not going to be taking people on he doesn't have the legs for it.

Unfortunately he is more or a defensive liability especially against wingers with skill or pace. Don't think he is ideal in either position for us anymore. 

My question is if his family wants him to play for his birth nation (thanks Canada for welcoming us to this country while we had to leave our birth country because of many reasons) why did they let him play for our youth teams and take some other player spot? Just the fact that he still has to think about it is worrying to me as it shows the lack of commitment to this country.And it also shows a lack to the Ivory Coast. It just like if you give a job to a homeless person in your restaurant and he starts off as a dish washer and through the years with your help he works himself up to be a pretty good chef and later decides to go work at the restaurant across the street because it has a bigger kitchen.Or the girlfriend or leaves you for the guy who gives her a bigger wedding ring. Good luck to them because these type of people have no morals. And for me it applies to all the players in the same situation as him.

Just for some perspective, your "stringing us along" is his "making a major life decision."

He has to do what's best for him.  If it's play for Canada great.  If not then it's not meant to be.  And no offense MtlMario but until you've lived his life you shouldn't judge him.  Saying he (and other such players) have no morals is rather harsh if they don't play for us.

The venom comes from using our youth teams, taking up a spot, getting the coaching, going to the tournies and camps etc and then when Ivory Coast shows some interest, BOOM...gone.   Tabla is 18-19 now?  Alot of us were either working or getting an secondary education by this time, making harder choices than this.   If his "life decision" is to turn his back on the people and country that have helped him get this far, he should expect some flak.  If he really wanted to go he should have been turning us down long before this and trying to get on with Ivory Coast.  

22 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Just for some perspective, your "stringing us along" is his "making a major life decision."

He has to do what's best for him.  If it's play for Canada great.  If not then it's not meant to be.  And no offense MtlMario but until you've lived his life you shouldn't judge him.  Saying he (and other such players) have no morals is rather harsh if they don't play for us.

Picking a country to play for shouldn't be like picking a club team to play for (which in most cases, pick the one that pays you more) it should be picking the country that did the most for you,not what's better for my career. Btw my parents came over from Italy in the 50's with nothing, so I have a little idea of where he's coming from.And the morals part is whether he plays for us or not.

2 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Picking a country to play for shouldn't be like picking a club team to play for (which in most cases, pick the one that pays you more) it should be picking the country that did the most for you,not what's better for my career. Btw my parents came over from Italy in the 50's with nothing, so I have a little idea of where he's coming from.And the morals part is whether he plays for us or not.

As I said to Bison, we agree to disagree.  Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

No one complains on our end, when it works in your favor its all sunshine and roses.  But you'll be damned sure the country that raised him were dissapointed and angry, and rightly so.  

When we get a player from another country its usually because the other country doesn't want or needs him.If we lose a player it not the same, we need all the help we can get. It's like we lose a jr. hockey player to Italy it's not going to kill our national team but will help Italy much more. That's all.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I'm just glad Tabla will make the decision quickly. From a supporter perspective, I'll be glad to know that he's not stringing us along unlike other players in the past.

I expect his decision being something like, "I have decided to decline an invite to the Canadian program in order to leave the door open for an Ivory Coast call". It won't firmly shut the door on Canada and Zambrano himself said the door will always be open to him. Zambrano said he doesn't want to pressure him.

In any case, if he turns us down he won't be shutting us out forever, because that makes absolutely zero sense for him to do that. The end result is that we'll be strung along, as usual.

51 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I'm just tired of being everyone's second choice and using our youth teams for their benefit and then telling us "thank-you suckers".

I am too, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of alternatives. 

If a quality player refuses a call up to 'keep their options open' or 'focus on his club situation' or 'focus on getting a new contract' or... we can either leave the door open to their future interest or close it by never calling them again.  But if they are skilled - and the signs point to Tabla being a quality player - it just isn't realistic to shut the door on them.  Hoillet is a great example of this - didn't commit to us for a long time (presumably to test the waters elsewhere) but made a huge impact when he decided to pull on the maple leaf.  Despite his obvious ambitions elsewhere, we simply couldn't afford to close the door on a player of that calibre. 

Unfortunately it will mean we are stuck as the less popular kid who is just hoping a few people come to his 9th birthday.  But then only 2 people show up.  And one of them was his cousin.  Despite the fact that it could have been a great party with some really fun stuff and an awesome cake that my mom made...  But I digress. 

55 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am too, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of alternatives. 

If a quality player refuses a call up to 'keep their options open' or 'focus on his club situation' or 'focus on getting a new contract' or... we can either leave the door open to their future interest or close it by never calling them again.  But if they are skilled - and the signs point to Tabla being a quality player - it just isn't realistic to shut the door on them.  Hoillet is a great example of this - didn't commit to us for a long time (presumably to test the waters elsewhere) but made a huge impact when he decided to pull on the maple leaf.  Despite his obvious ambitions elsewhere, we simply couldn't afford to close the door on a player of that calibre. 

Unfortunately it will mean we are stuck as the less popular kid who is just hoping a few people come to his 9th birthday.  But then only 2 people show up.  And one of them was his cousin.  Despite the fact that it could have been a great party with some really fun stuff and an awesome cake that my mom made...  But I digress. 

Sounds like you had a tough childhood.

Or as Aird, Aleman and Bustos did before him he's simply positioning himself for a MNT call.  

If Tabla lives in a perfect world and ends up playing for a big club and Ivory Coast in a WC it looks like a good move but it's just way too risky.  If he falls short he's going to be a guy who played in U20 qualifiers and MAYBE the Olympics for Ivory Coast and then his international career will be done... he won't be of any special value to the Canadian MLS sides and he'll never earn DP money.  

The decision to play for Canada, especially since he'll be guaranteed at least one World Cup is probably the easiest decision he'll have to make in his career, from a club and international perspective.  Take a good hard look at Teal Bunbury is my advice.   

100% agree. We're the obvious choice for him. Making the Ivory Coast team is way harder than people think and lots of younger and better talent can emerge from now and 2026 killing his chances for a world cup.

We're by far the safest choice and the odds of participating in a World Cup are much higher with us.

38 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

As a NT player Tabla may have been a "carded" athlete which means he would have been recieving money from the federal government. If he has taken that money and then decides to play for Ivory Coast I'll be very disappointed.

Yup, he's on there, for 2014-15 anyways. http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1438710866037/1438710920918

If he chooses to join the Ivory Coast, then I think he should have to pay back this money, plan and simple.