Ballou Tabla

shermanator

3 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Tabla turned down the invite to play for Canada in Montreal.

ffs when you make a statement like this, give some proof

Doesn't sound like Tabla will be playing with us in the Gold Cup after listening to Zambrano discuss his situation at half time. Greg Sutton I think it was made some comment about camp being in Montreal in a few weeks providing Zambrano more opportunity to meet with Tabla and his family. Zambrano mentioned that Davies is very committed on the other hand, so it's nice to hear that reaffirmed. He scored today by the way. Tabla meanwhile was not dressed.

Zambrano's quote on Tabla from the article two posts up.

Highly touted Montreal Impact midfielder Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla declined Zambrano's invitation. The 18-year-old has dual citizenship, having been born in the Ivory Coast.

"He didn't close the door by any means," said Zambrano.

"I'm not putting pressure on him." he added. "He's a young guy. He will add a lot to our national team. But he really has to be convinced himself, not having any doubts about what this means. Because this means a lot. And I let him know that."

Zambrano expects to have more talks with the player and his family while in Montreal.

Edited by shermanator

Just now, Obinna said:

Doesn't sound like Tabla will be playing with us in the Gold Cup after listening to Zambrano discuss his situation at half time.

I missed the "half time show". Any recording?

Also,

Can somebody record the TVA interview with Tabla that will be broadcast before the next Impact game?

http://www.tvasports.ca/2017/05/30/ballou-pour-lamour-du-dribble

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Correct me if I'm worng, but if Tabla is not capped at this year's Gold cup, the next opportunity will be 2 years from now?!

That's a scary thought.

That's correct. It looks unlikely that either Davies or Tabla will be locked down before the 2019 Gold Cup.

As much as I want Tabla to play for Canada like all of you, we have to stop thinking from the fan perspective and think of his position in his shoes. If you've been reading these posts on Ballou and following him in the Quebec media it comes as no surprise there's lots of pressure (family) on him to go with CI. I sense his heart is to play for CI, the nation he came from and the team he grew up supporting in World Cups and African Cups. Something he most likely aspired to be watching his idol Drogba perform, and to whom he had the amazing fortune to play with in Montreal. 

I understand that dream. It has probably more to do with pride for his roots, culture and showing his circle of friends and family that he accomplished being one of the Elephants. More patriotism than anything sponsors or money could offer I feel.

If Canada had a history of making world cups, as part of our culture and notoriety I'm sure it would be more enticing but I'm certain he wants to see if he has the potential to make this dream come true. You know it's kinda hard to build a base when Canada doesn't make the WC let alone a hex and footy fans in Canada that want to be part of the WC festivities choose their country of ancestry to support for bragging rights, which in Qc landscape it is hard enough being a true red blooded Canadian and to show it. Moving day in Qc is July 1st FFS.

I believe Zambrano has done all he can without going overboard and turning him off. You don't want to be that guy who hits on someone for a date and become so annoying you get rejected. CSA and OZ are doing this with respect and dignity for both him and Canada, we can't come off as desperate.

Another factor will be seeing how Canada performs and Davies joining im certain will have an effect on his decision, like a generation movement. If Canada plays well in the GC maybe he'll feel he can contribute to it and be part of the success. If they play like they did with Floro mehhhh I'm sure his family will say "see! you would waste your time and talent with them."

I feel like if Davies thrives on club and international level, Tabla will want to join in on the fun eventually. Canada making it far in this Gold Cup will also help are cause to secure Tabla (and even hel make a case to get an automatic qualify WC spot)

I had the chance last night at the MTL/VAN game to have a small chat with Mr. Zambrano and asked him about Tabla and he said "I'm ready, he's ready" but there are other things holding him back at the moment(we all know what that is). So at least to me it sounds that least he wants to play for us. Hopefully at the end of the day it will tilt the decision in our favor. Btw Mr Zambrano is a very personable person. He even came down from his loge when I asked him for a picture with him and chatted for a couple of minutes more.It's sad that of all the people passing us (north section) nobody recognized him.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I agree with Moldy and canta15 that the best way to recruit him would be to do well in the Gold Cup. Let's go out there and win the whole thing and show him a Canada soccer party! I don't think it's realistic, but it wasn't realistic in 2000 either.

Just dreaming out loud.

It appears the US and Costa Rica are sending B-teams and Mexico a C-team. Making a run at the Gold Cup isn't all that far-fetched. 

8 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I believe Zambrano has done all he can without going overboard and turning him off. You don't want to be that guy who hits on someone for a date and become so annoying you get rejectedCSA and OZ are doing this with respect and dignity for both him and Canada, we can't come off as desperate.

Why do I have the feeling this is something that many V's (myself included) can relate to?

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I had the chance last night at the MTL/VAN game to have a small chat with Mr. Zambrano and asked him about Tabla and he said "I'm ready, he's ready" but there are other things holding him back at the moment(we all know what that is). So at least to me it sounds that least he wants to play for us.

Can we actually believe that or is it possible Ballou is using that as a crutch? Anyways there's nothing more anyone can do but be patient with the young man and like OZ says let him feel committed and comfortable with the decision. These kids grow up fast so who knows maybe by the time he's 23/24 he will realize what HE wants and not what others want. By that time we will be in a battle for WCQ for 2022. 

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

So basically is convincing the dad... yikes.

OZ did say last night he is going to meet w the parents so maybe he can use some of that suave suave-cito Latino persuasion and convince them in the grand scheme of things that even if Ballou could be selected for CI the best choice would be for Canada. What arguments could he have, I don't know, him along w Davies being the face of soccer in Canada and getting tons of sponsor money or being part of a golden generation in which 2026 is a lock??? Any other ideas or arguments?

9 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I had the chance last night at the MTL/VAN game to have a small chat with Mr. Zambrano and asked him about Tabla and he said "I'm ready, he's ready" but there are other things holding him back at the moment(we all know what that is). So at least to me it sounds that least he wants to play for us. Hopefully at the end of the day it will tilt the decision in our favor. Btw Mr Zambrano is a very personable person. He even came down from his loge when I asked him for a picture with him and chatted for a couple of minutes more.It's sad that of all the people passing us (north section) nobody recognized him.

He's the Doge in the loge. 

So soccer. Much Zambrano.