Manjrekar James

The crazy part is that he is presently the only CB in our pool that has played Champions League iirc and it was vs Atalanta when they had a potent attacking team and he got MoM! He's also had some good performances for Canada as well,  vs Jamaica in the GC in a 2-1 loss where he subbed on for Vitoria or Jackovic and when he scored vs Honduras away in WCQ, also in 2-1 loss! Herdman never seemed to rate him or perhaps it was a personality issue. Hope he can put it together in CR.

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The crazy part is that he is presently the only CB in our pool that has played Champions League iirc and it was vs Atalanta when they had a potent attacking team and he got MoM! He's also had some good performances for Canada as well,  vs Jamaica in the GC in a 2-1 loss where he subbed on for Vitoria or Jackovic and when he scored vs Honduras away in WCQ, also in 2-1 loss! Herdman never seemed to rate him or perhaps it was a personality issue. Hope he can put it together in CR.

I feel like he's an utility call up . has the speed to be an CB against an jamica or a team w pace

Interestingly enough, even though Alajualense are usually in the Champions League, this move takes him out of the Champions Cup for 2024. Forge are in it and Alajualense are not.

This is just a side note. I'm not using it as evidence it is a bad move. I think it's probably a good move for him. Hopefully Forge got decent money for him too.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

Interestingly enough, even though Alajualense are usually in the Champions League, this move takes him out of the Champions Cup for 2024. Forge are in it and Alajualense are not.

This is just a side note. I'm not using it as evidence it is a bad move. I think it's probably a good move for him. Hopefully Forge got decent money for him too.

No. They have a bye because they won the inaugural Central American Cup 

In CCC they get the winner of New England v Independiente (Panama).

They could actually meet Forge in the quarter finals if both teams get that far 

Independiente is the team that famously knocked out TFC in the first round a few years ago 

Edited by narduch

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, narduch said:

His club have played 3 matches now and he hasn't been in the line up yet

Edit: Still a paperwork holdup

https://www.nacion.com/puro-deporte/futbol-nacional/alajuelense-parece-tener-mas-facil-habilitar-a/BZXQ4FJWAZCE5BUKIYRL3JPBUE/story/

En el caso de Manjrekar James, hay un requisito que Alajuelense no ha podido presentar. Es un antecedente penal federal, un documento que emite el gobierno de Canadá y el proceso de la entrega es un poco lento.

La Liga presentó los documentos de canales municipales, pero en Migración requieren los estatales.

“¿Por qué presentamos municipales? Porque en su momento eran los que se pedían, pero hubo un cambio en la normativa, donde tenemos que entregar antecedentes penales federales y la inscripción consular”.

Edited by nolando

15 minutes ago, nolando said:

Is there still a paperwork holdup, I wonder? 

Mentioned in the article is also a struggle to adjust; maybe that's more than just to the climate, but worded gently.

The climate really ?

Seems crazy but apparently still waiting on official paperwork. Sounds like something as simple as  a criminal record check is holding things up, but I will let one of the fluent Spanish folk like Jeff provide the details. Nice to see him in his new kit though:

9 hours ago, nolando said:

Seems crazy but apparently still waiting on official paperwork. Sounds like something as simple as  a criminal record check is holding things up, but I will let one of the fluent Spanish folk like Jeff provide the details. Nice to see him in his new kit though:

He blames everything on his special needs primary school teacher.

Seriously, they say the Canadian federal government has to emit a criminal record certificate, and are very slow, although in some cases they can take 45 days. And that is the only paper he's missing, he's registered with their federation, they'll give him a work permit, and he is ready to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Good for him.  I think his reputation as a CMNT level player took a hit not so much because of his poor play, but because he opted to see out his contract in Denmark and cash in when he could, as opposed to move to a club where he'd see more of the field.  I think that's where his falling out with Herdman stemmed from, but that's just speculation.

He's only 30 years old.  Doing well for Alajuelense puts him right back into contention for starting CB spot.  Plenty of players at that club have done well at the international level.  

We specifically need a right footed CB like him.    

Edited by BrennanFan

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

He's only 30 years old.  Doing well for Alajuelense puts him right back into contention for starting CB spot.  Plenty of players at that club have done well at the international level.  

Sadly It's Europe, MLS or no ratings for the CMNT. 

6 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Good for him.  I think his reputation as a CMNT level player took a hit not so much because of his poor play, but because he opted to see out his contract in Denmark and cash in when he could, as opposed to move to a club where he'd see more of the field.  I think that's where his falling out with Herdman stemmed from, but that's just speculation.

I would add Zator to the conversation.  29, RB/CB hybrid with decent height, has gone 90' in almost all his Polish team's league games for over a year now. 

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

After watching Forge play Chivas last night I have no doubt LigaMX and some of the larger Central American teams will start sniffing around the CPL for value

I think Alajuelense picking up James was exactly that.

Probably the first of many, thanks to the play of CPL clubs in CONCACAF play. 

James with his experience with Canada and in Europe was low hanging fruit. It'll get interesting when clubs start to pluck away talented but more unknown and unproven players. I feel like that's coming in the next few years or so.

Also, I didn't watch the match (forgot about it) but to see the scoreline of 3-1 is very good. I mean, it's a loss, but this is an out of season CPL team versus a historical giant of Mexico 5 games into the season.

There was a time not long ago where MLS clubs would register that scoreline at home against a Chivas and it would be normal.

Now we have a CPL club doing it.

Encouraging!

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Also, I didn't watch the match (forgot about it) but to see the scoreline of 3-1 is very good. I mean, it's a loss, but this is an out of season CPL team versus a historical giant of Mexico 5 games into the season.

There was a time not long ago where MLS clubs would register that scoreline at home against a Chivas and it would be normal.

Encouraging!

Actually I was thinking the same thing. I've been watching for a while and Forge performance last night was definitely equal to if not better than that of MLS v LaLiga say 10+ years ago. Even hearing the announcers throwing around transfer numbers for players recently coming in to LigaMX and watching them play against preseason CPL guys I'm thinking you could get a 23 yr old CPL guy for a fraction of that with upside

Edited by SpursFlu

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Encouraging!

I watched the first 75 or 80 or so minutes, and Forge looked pretty decent. It's obvious some players just don't have the pace or physical strength to go up against teams of Chivas' calibre, but you could tell some of these players can hang. Borges' cross to Campbell for the goal was a beautiful play, and Forge's counterattack looked pretty decent. Cade Cowell got dispossessed a few times, and outside of his goals (big asterix there), Forge did a pretty good job of shutting him down, and he looked like the best player on the pitch.

Once Chivas made it 2-1, you could sense the game was over, and once they started making subs, it's clear that Forge doesn't have near the depth to hang in the game. I got the impression that this Forge team, if they had a few more players and maybe got lucky with one or two young Europe-bound talents could've definitely pulled off a result. Very curious to see how they hold up in Mexico though.

James certainly could have helped Forge last night with his physicality and experience, I suspect the club is looking to bring in another quality CB to replace him because Jonnson, who does well there for a natural midfielder and Metusala, who I rate but is somewhat inexperienced I don't think are the answer for a long CPL season!