Ayo Akinola

masster

24 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

The reality is as much dual nationals we have, the USA has just as much if not more. And just as tangible a World Cup is for them, it is for us as well. 

Players like Ayo are competing with a whole lot more players than we think, so I think he's definitely thinking about Canada. 

Yeah that'll be the day pardon the sarcasm????

I'm giving an opinion on the topic giving an opinion on Ayo and you guys attacked me and kept attacking me and I allowed it but no more. I ain't f****** havin it I'm not takin this s*** especially from all y'all so I was bound to snap sooner or later 

Edited by Tg11

2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

The reality is as much dual nationals we have, the USA has just as much if not more. And just as tangible a World Cup is for them, it is for us as well. 

Players like Ayo are competing with a whole lot more players than we think, so I think he's definitely thinking about Canada. 

Siebatcheu of France U21 and Rennes, Maurice Malone of Germany U18 and Augsburg, and Folarin Balogun of England U17 and Arsenal are the big three US-eligibles who are highly regarded. They are all CFs/strikers who would almost certainly be above Akinola's caliber. Malone is yet another German-American with an American military father, while Siebatcheu and Balogun were born in Washington and New York respectively. And for wingers, there is Timothy Tillman of Germany U19 and Bayern, Sam Shashoua of England U18 and Tottenham, both have American military fathers.

The US may not be able to get all of these five, but it's pretty much guaranteed that they will get at least one of them, and probably more than one. France, Germany, and England have so much competition at the youth level, and the US national team can offer them a way out to still (likely) make a World Cup.

Canada cannot turn away from Akinola just because he's picked the US initially. Many players have strong loyalties to multiple nations. He probably feels strongly Canadian, having lived there for most of his life, and would be very glad to represent Canada.

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

He knows exactly what he’s doing, unless you’re mocking him so that we can all laugh along no one should even engage him.  This guy is telling us LAFC and LA Galaxy are the same club and Pep is managing Bayern.  I don’t know how much longer the mods are going to let this go on because it’s ridiculous, unless we all troll him back and then it’s sort of entertaining. 

Agreed 100%. 

1 hour ago, ChuckMe92 said:

Siebatcheu of France U21 and Rennes, Maurice Malone of Germany U18 and Augsburg, and Folarin Balogun of England U17 and Arsenal are the big three US-eligibles who are highly regarded. They are all CFs/strikers who would almost certainly be above Akinola's caliber. Malone is yet another German-American with an American military father, while Siebatcheu and Balogun were born in Washington and New York respectively. And for wingers, there is Timothy Tillman of Germany U19 and Bayern, Sam Shashoua of England U18 and Tottenham, both have American military fathers.

The US may not be able to get all of these five, but it's pretty much guaranteed that they will get at least one of them, and probably more than one. France, Germany, and England have so much competition at the youth level, and the US national team can offer them a way out to still (likely) make a World Cup.

Canada cannot turn away from Akinola just because he's picked the US initially. Many players have strong loyalties to multiple nations. He probably feels strongly Canadian, having lived there for most of his life, and would be very glad to represent Canada.

I wanted to avoid doing what you did, (listing some of the potential players) but I agree 1000% with what you've stated. 

7 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Refuse to quote you to contaminate the thread with more of your post, so I'll @Tg11......

I keep telling you to educate yourself in the attainable information before being so eager to repost paragraphs of egregious comments you have already made. 

google, Google, GOOGLE..... Please just fucking Google first. 

@Tg11 Seriously, bro. Read. Learn. Educate. Then and only then, post.

I have always thought you were an overly enthusiastic kid, but now I am beginning to think you're  just a troll. Prove me wrong. This board is actually rather sophisticated and well informed for a message board. Walk before you can run. You have more posts than I do, and I have been on the site for years and years. Chill out, educate yourself and join us.

Edited by BCM

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

Dont forget Efrain Alvarez who has defected to Mexico yet plays for LA II.. he’s killing it in USL as a 16 year old and would otherwise be the Americans best.  Tough one for them, so almost every nation has it happen. 

Yeah every nation has to deal with it. The Moroccan National team in Russia was filled with dual nationals, Moroccan players raised and often even born in European countries playing for their parents country. Heck, they even had a Canadian at the WC! (Montreal-born Yassine Bounou). 

Win some loose is the way I see it. But of course, having a strong National Program is the best way of convincing fence-sitters. 

On 7/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, deschamp86 said:

He technically is Canadian. Just doesn't count as Canadian for the Voyageurs Cup

Why doesn't he? He has a Canadian passport and a Canadian is a Canadian no? He is still elligible for Canada (however likely that may be) so I dont understand what the deal is...

30 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Why doesn't he? He has a Canadian passport and a Canadian is a Canadian no? He is still elligible for Canada (however likely that may be) so I dont understand what the deal is...

19 hours ago, ChuckMe92 said:

I'm going to take this conversation in a different direction as I usually do. I'm not going to dispute the USA having a lot of guys potentially coming up considering I think all the ones mentioned (and some) will go with them in the end. This list is pretty telling:

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/toljan-tillman-and-10-germans-who-could-play-for-the-usa-usmnt-472403.jsp

In 5-10 years, the Americans could have a starting line up of all German born kids, and it could be a world class team. I'm not going to question the sustainability as they could keep doing this (along with the all the other European kids who have loose connections to the country) for the next 50 years or so if the trend stays this way. However, what kind of soccer identity and culture are they creating by doing this? There's always been the issue of Americans only caring about the national team during the World Cup and forgoing any interest in MLS. To me, this is just going to polarize those fans and make the issue that much worse. It's going to stagnate youth development in the USA as most promising players will continue to go abroad before playing their first professional game and it's going stagnate MLS as a league.

It's pretty telling that we have recently one upped them when it comes to a domestic player growing up here, learning his soccer here, developing here, making his professional debut here and being sold for a league-wide recording breaking fee.

10 hours ago, shamrock said:

Yeah every nation has to deal with it. The Moroccan National team in Russia was filled with dual nationals, Moroccan players raised and often even born in European countries playing for their parents country. Heck, they even had a Canadian at the WC! (Montreal-born Yassine Bounou). 

Win some loose is the way I see it. But of course, having a strong National Program is the best way of convincing fence-sitters. 

I made a joke about how the Netherlands were actually at the world cup.

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

I'm going to take this conversation in a different direction as I usually do. I'm not going to dispute the USA having a lot of guys potentially coming up considering I think all the ones mentioned (and some) will go with them in the end. This list is pretty telling:

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/toljan-tillman-and-10-germans-who-could-play-for-the-usa-usmnt-472403.jsp

In 5-10 years, the Americans could have a starting line up of all German born kids, and it could be a world class team. I'm not going to question the sustainability as they could keep doing this (along with the all the other European kids who have loose connections to the country) for the next 50 years or so if the trend stays this way. However, what kind of soccer identity and culture are they creating by doing this? There's always been the issue of Americans only caring about the national team during the World Cup and forgoing any interest in MLS. To me, this is just going to polarize those fans and make the issue that much worse. It's going to stagnate youth development in the USA as most promising players will continue to go abroad before playing their first professional game and it's going stagnate MLS as a league.

It's pretty telling that we have recently one upped them when it comes to a domestic player growing up here, learning his soccer here, developing here, making his professional debut here and being sold for a league-wide recording breaking fee.

I made a joke about how the Netherlands were actually at the world cup.

The USMNT's most recent match was against France in Lyon in June. Their lineup already started three players who were not raised in the US. Julian Green of Stuttgart, Antonee Robinson of Everton, and Cameron Carter-Vickers of Tottenham. All raised and developed in Europe. If the US pool had been fully healthy, that number would have arguably been six of the 11. John Brooks at Wolfsburg, Danny Williams at Huddersfield, Kenny Saief at Anderlecht, maybe even more. Saief is a particularly interesting case because he was once Israel's top prospects, they even gave him friendly caps at senior level, but he still opted for the US. His first US cap I believe was only the third time period he ever stepped on US soil after leaving as a toddler. And it's not just Europe. The US roster included two substitutes, Jorge Villafana and Joe Corona, who were born in Southern California but mostly raised across the border in Mexico.

You could be right, it is entirely conceivable that outside of some exceptions such as Pulisic, Jonathan Amon, and Tim Weah, most of the US lineup could be raised in Europe. Furthermore, Pulisic, Amon, and Weah were barely or never involved in MLS academies and left America in their very early teens.

Edited by ChuckMe92

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Such a fantastic rule. So glad they did this. Hope the CPL does the same with regards to their Canadian eligibility requirements.

1 hour ago, ChuckMe92 said:

Saief is a particularly interesting case because he was once Israel's top prospects, they even gave him friendly caps at senior level, but he still opted for the US.

Who just happened to sign an endorsement deal with Nike (the same company that provides the kits for US Soccer) three days after filing his one time switch. I'm sure Nike really needed a slightly above average Belgian league player without a Twitter account to help market their products....totally nothing suspicious there. 

When was the last time the USA developed an attacking minded player and sent them over the Europe? So far they have been good at landing defenders and goal keepers to top European league, but I can't think of any attacking homegrown player making that jump. Canada so far has Larin, Tabla, and now Davies, all homegrowns.

8 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

When was the last time the USA developed an attacking minded player and sent them over the Europe? So far they have been good at landing defenders and goal keepers to top European league, but I can't think of any attacking homegrown player making that jump. Canada so far has Larin, Tabla, and now Davies, all homegrowns.

Clint Dempsey wasn't too bad, for a fella born and raised in east Texas.

Edited by Ed_S

Just now, LeoH037 said:

If you only count players who signed a homegrown contract the only USMNT capped attacker sold to Europe in the last few years is Juan Agudelo. Obviously if you go further back there are a bunch in the vain of Feilhaber, Dempsey and Altidore, but that was pre-HG rule. 

Recently, the majority of the USA's best attacking talent is grabbed by European teams before they can sign a homegrown deal. Timothy Weah had a HG offer from NYRB when he went to PSG, same with Brooks Lennon and RSL before he left for Liverpool. The list of those players is pretty long.