Ayo Akinola

masster

Ayo Akinola called up by USMNT U20’s 

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/10/23/16/10/20181023-news-u20mnt-head-coach-tab-ramos-names-20-player-roster-for-2018-concacaf-u20-championship

I feel like after the 2019 World Cup in Poland we could the see him file his one time switch and commit to Canada 

Exactly the same as to how Tomori and Eustaquio are committed to their U21 Sides (England & Portugal) until next summer then will look back to the maple leaf and consider it

There was talk of him making the move ahead of this tournament but he’s decided to then postpone that decision. 

He wasn't likely to get called up for the last senior men's game so I understand staying put for now.

Would have thought the US will just Cap him post 2019 if he looks like he has potential. Hopefully Herdman can get his hooks in first. Competition for Canada is pretty tough upfront right now at least. 

He’s in a weird spot so it’s best for him to stay with the USA for now.  If he switches to us or Nigeria he has no options, so it’s best for him to wait.  Also, he’s behind Jordan hamilton on TFC so I don’t think he’s close to any full team right now unless he’s being cynically capped.  The states won’t have opportunities to cap tie him.. we can cap guys who aren’t necessarily good enough because we play minnows.. ie Busti, Telfer, Elva, Edwards, Hemati etc so we shouldn’t waste it.

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

He’s in a weird spot so it’s best for him to stay with the USA for now.  If he switches to us or Nigeria he has no options, so it’s best for him to wait.  Also, he’s behind Jordan hamilton on TFC so I don’t think he’s close to any full team right now unless he’s being cynically capped.  The states won’t have opportunities to cap tie him.. we can cap guys who aren’t necessarily good enough because we play minnows.. ie Busti, Telfer, Elva, Edwards, Hemati etc so we shouldn’t waste it.

Especially Nigeria. Their striker depth is way better than ours or the USA.

Agree it makes sense for him to stay put, as much as I want him to commit to us already.

I'd expect Akinola to feature heavily for the US U20s in this qualifying tournament. Weah, Sargent, Soto, and Amon are apparently either past this level or were not released by their clubs. This is a relatively weak US forward group that includes three college soccer forwards.

50 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Ayo Akinola called up by USMNT U20’s 

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/10/23/16/10/20181023-news-u20mnt-head-coach-tab-ramos-names-20-player-roster-for-2018-concacaf-u20-championship

I feel like after the 2019 World Cup in Poland we could the see him file his one time switch and commit to Canada 

Exactly the same as to how Tomori and Eustaquio are committed to their U21 Sides (England & Portugal) until next summer then will look back to the maple leaf and consider it

There was talk of him making the move ahead of this tournament but he’s decided to then postpone that decision. 

I dont understand this at all.  You seem to think there is evidence that he is going to switch.  If so why do the americans keep calling him in?  And if he is continuing to get calls, isnt he more likely to stay as opposed to switch??  He is continually getting and accepting calls to play for another country, pull on another jersey....doesnt this go directly against Herdmans credo of love for he shirt etc?? Everytime I see Herdman he mentions it.  Isnt this exactly what he was was railing about, guys using the shirt to further their career?  He is american while he can use them to get to the U-20 WC, then if he cant crack the full USMNT he switches to canada because he has a better shot at our CMNT???  

According to an interview US Soccer published a year ago, Akinola strongly identifies as American and loves playing for the US national team, calling it "the greatest thing ever." If so, the reason he would switch is because of not receiving further US callups. Don't think that will happen anytime remotely soon. He's one of the better young CF options the US has. The US has wingers, but other than Josh Sargent and perhaps Andrija Novakovich, it's not clear what quality young #9s the US has, and certainly not clear they are better off than Canada at the position given the rise of Jonathan David. Except for Llanez who is a winger, Akinola is clearly the best forward the US has for this group stage roster. Nowhere close to falling out of favor.

Edited by ChuckMe92

2 hours ago, ChuckMe92 said:

According to an interview US Soccer published a year ago, Akinola strongly identifies as American and loves playing for the US national team, calling it "the greatest thing ever." If so, the reason he would switch is because of not receiving further US callups. Don't think that will happen anytime remotely soon. He's one of the better young CF options the US has. The US has wingers, but other than Josh Sargent and perhaps Andrija Novakovich, it's not clear what quality young #9s the US has, and certainly not clear they are better off than Canada at the position given the rise of Jonathan David. Except for Llanez who is a winger, Akinola is clearly the best forward the US has for this group stage roster. Nowhere close to falling out of favor.

Akinola has to beat out Altidore/Giovinco/Ricketts/Hamilton/Bakero/Janson for FW spots. He's not high on the US FW depth chart. At the youth level, sure, but at the senior level he has a long way to go.

Liam Millar - 1999
Jonathan David - 2000
Theo Bair - 1999
Adonijah Reid - 1999
Gloire Amanda - 1998
Jordan Perruzza - 2001
Jose Hernandez - 2000
Dario Zanatta - 1997
Gabriel Boakye - 1998
Tajon Buchanon - 1999
O'Vonte Mullings - 2000
Mohamed Omar - 2000

And yet 18 pages of hand-wringing on a kid that scored 5 in USL and doesn't want to play for us.

32 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Not that he didnt get what he deserved but I’m still sad for him, and his dad most of all.  At least he has US national team player out of his twitter bio finally

I don't know if you should feel sad for him. He felt American and he got to play a handful of games for the US. There's a good chance he's satisfied with his choice if he doesn't feel all that Canadian to begin with

On 10/25/2018 at 8:45 AM, dyslexic nam said:

The whole thing is sad.  He could have been a solid guy for us, and given his dad's history it would have been a feel good story.  Instead, he chose to be a bit player in an underwhelming US team.

This is generous.

Juan Agudelo is a bit player.

Bunbury is more like a trialist who played in 4 friendlies. Literally.

5 hours ago, ChuckMe92 said:

He scored twice for the US against Puerto Rico today, and nearly had two more.

The funniest thing about this match is two US-born brothers of PR descent started against each other, both from FC Dallas. Brandon Servania for the US and Jaden Servania for PR.

2 good goals by Akinola, if only he was doing that for Canada not The US

i still consider this guy as a prospect to watch in the future 

Solid campaigns at U15, U17 & now U20 Level 

I am confident once this cycle ends: after the World Cup in Poland next summer he will switch to Canada because “he has a better a chance” according to himself and it’s true although he needs to change his narrative that he has to do this for what he feels and not “What’s best for me” 

and it’s true, he does have a better chance with Canada because besides our 5 CF/ST/FW the door is wide open 

Should he file his one time switch prior to the u23 Olympic qualifier I believe he will be given a look for us and everyone on here will forget that he was a yank player

Hes stayed with the USMNT under twenties because really there was no need to change it up at this point but I remain confident it will happen 

8 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Should he file his one time switch prior to the u23 Olympic qualifier I believe he will be given a look for us and everyone on here will forget that he was a yank player

Speak for yourself.

Also, every one of those players I mentioned above are eligible for our Olympic team.  He can switch all he likes, doesn't mean he'll have a spot waiting for him.

Same view as I had with Tabla.  Until he commits (while he is actively weighing his options) I couldn't give a shit about him.  Once he chooses us, I will cheer him on without reservation.  But until that time, no pining over him.  My emotional currency is held in reserve for those who choose to play for Canada.