Ayo Akinola

masster

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

He doesnt even stand out very much at TFC2.   Even looking at his age group, David, Millar, Davies etc, we already have better kids who want to play for us (dont say it...I know we need everyone we can get).  Even if he chooses Canada he isnt going to have a cake walk getting onto teams.  And unless he really lives up to his fullest potential I cant see him getting called to the USMNT.  I hope this was just the reporter looking for a CDN angle during the CDN championship about a kid with dual possibilities.   Frankly I think its the talking about it that pisses off the fans the most.  When they talk about it like they are deciding on wearing a red shirt today or maybe a red white and blue shirt and its doesnt really matter to them.  And to all of us, it does matter.  

I agree and think that's why he chooses us, because he already has his work cut out for him to be a regular for Canada, let alone the US.

He does have 9 goals in 16 games in USL though, if I recall correctly.

Not that I think that gets him into our team, but those are stand out numbers at least. I can't comment on the actual performances though. Haven't watched much TFC 2 this year.

I would gladly take a team full of guys like Ian Hume - full of heart, pride and dedication to his country (even though he lived most of his life outside it). But when he brought it to the team, everything was left on the pitch. Blood, sweat and tears.

These guys like Jono DeGuzman who stayed on the fence are all the same. It's all about them and their careers - not about their country and it shows. Hoilett was this way for years and although hopeful, I always felt like he would choose England or Jamaica - although maybe he never got the chance. Since he showed his intention to play with Canada, he has been a great talent and I believe a strong voice for the team.

Canada should never feel 2nd best. When you see Mexican players at the beginning of a match with their hand at their heart and singing their national anthem proudly, it far exceeds the level of pride for players in our country. IMO, This has to change.

As far as I'm concerned, guys like Akinola need a slap in the face. I don't give a crap how many goals you score if it's all about you. I would rather him score fewer goals if he makes it a better team - one that can play at the highest level where he and his teammates are  proud to play for their country.

44 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

I would gladly take a team full of guys like Ian Hume - full of heart, pride and dedication to his country (even though he lived most of his life outside it). But when he brought it to the team, everything was left on the pitch. Blood, sweat and tears.

These guys like Jono DeGuzman who stayed on the fence are all the same. It's all about them and their careers - not about their country and it shows. Hoilett was this way for years and although hopeful, I always felt like he would choose England or Jamaica - although maybe he never got the chance. Since he showed his intention to play with Canada, he has been a great talent and I believe a strong voice for the team.

Canada should never feel 2nd best. When you see Mexican players at the beginning of a match with their hand at their heart and singing their national anthem proudly, it far exceeds the level of pride for players in our country. IMO, This has to change.

As far as I'm concerned, guys like Akinola need a slap in the face. I don't give a crap how many goals you score if it's all about you. I would rather him score fewer goals if he makes it a better team - one that can play at the highest level where he and his teammates are  proud to play for their country.

Hoilett had every chance to play for Jamaica.

And not that Hume wasn't proud to play for us, i'm sure he was, but he plays with blood, sweat and tears for all of his clubs too, because that's the kind of player he was.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I agree and think that's why he chooses us, because he already has his work cut out for him to be a regular for Canada, let alone the US.

He does have 9 goals in 16 games in USL though, if I recall correctly.

Not that I think that gets him into our team, but those are stand out numbers at least. I can't comment on the actual performances though. Haven't watched much TFC 2 this year.

6 goals in 19 games for Akinola over 2 years, Hundal had 7 in 22 last year.  This season Bakero has 2 in 4 games, endoh 3 in 5 games, Hamilton has 4 in 6 games (17 in 50 total usl games).  He isnt chicken feed but he doesnt stand out over Hundal, Bakero, Hamilton.  Not to say he doesnt have tons of potential, but for now its just potential.  

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

6 goals in 19 games for Akinola over 2 years, Hundal had 7 in 22 last year.  This season Bakero has 2 in 4 games, endoh 3 in 5 games, Hamilton has 4 in 6 games (17 in 50 total usl games).  He isnt chicken feed but he doesnt stand out over Hundal, Bakero, Hamilton.  Not to say he doesnt have tons of potential, but for now its just potential.  

Sure, but 6 goals in 19 games is the same pace as Hundel's 7 in 22. I don't particularly hold it against Akinola that it took him 2 years. The present is more relevant than the past.

This isn't even about comparing him to Hundel anyhow, but he has played more than him for the first team, so you could make the argument he's the better prospect.

And you are right. He is a prospect and it's all about potential. He might not stand out over any of those guys you mentioned, but he's right there with them, so I would be happy to add him to our ranks.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Hoilett had every chance to play for Jamaica.

And not that Hume wasn't proud to play for us, i'm sure he was, but he plays with blood, sweat and tears for all of his clubs too, because that's the kind of player he was.

So I guess if we had 11 Humes on the pitch we would have qualified for every World Cup since 1986 , guys with lots of heart , grinders brave heart type players get stuck in!

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Curious if you actually watch him play or if that's your opinion based on stats. He has 4 goals in 5 starts this season for TFC II, the rest are all sub apperances. I wont speak on Bakero, because I havn't seen enough of him, but Hundal is absolute trash, he has 2 strikes in 18 appearances this season( majority as a starter), and is likely to be released by the club without ever appearing for the first team. When Akinola is Hamiltons age, he will be at a higher level than what Hamilton is currently at imo

On 8/29/2018 at 5:35 PM, KW519 said:

Curious if you actually watch him play or if that's your opinion based on stats. He has 4 goals in 5 starts this season for TFC II, the rest are all sub apperances. I wont speak on Bakero, because I havn't seen enough of him, but Hundal is absolute trash, he has 2 strikes in 18 appearances this season( majority as a starter), and is likely to be released by the club without ever appearing for the first team. When Akinola is Hamiltons age, he will be at a higher level than what Hamilton is currently at imo

I watch as much TFC2 as anybody on here.  Although he hasnt even played much USL level ball to watch.  Hopefully he pans out.  

On 8/30/2018 at 6:35 AM, KW519 said:

Yes agree, it's not just the statline. It's creating space for himself and others, holding up the ball, tracking back, etc. You can't judge this from the stat sheet alone. I suspect @KW519 is right about AA v Hamilton at the same age, and if he commits to Canada than I hope it to be the case.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ayo on the US roster called to the U-20 camp for the U-20 tournie in Bradenton over the international break.......hmmmmmmm.  

Wait wait wait what?? 

There is a u20 tournament in Bradenton where we have a MNT camp and where qualifying is and we haven’t called our u20s?  I mean, not like we have anything going on for them and qualifying is in 2 months. We could have at least scrimmaged MNT v U20s.. like wtf. This would have been a perfect opportunity to be cost efficient and make the most of the window for our pool and two teams. 

You cant even be mad at Ayo.. we don’t even have a camp running.

Edited by Keegan

Its some sort of round robin US, VEN, Jamaica tournie.  Probably organized long ago.  But its too bad we didnt have a super camp anyways.  As for Ayo....its hard to get excited about a CDN flag on his instagram while he is still going to US camps and playing for them.  As my Dad used to say..I'm not mad....I'm just dissapointed.  Maybe there is more to the story but that isnt a promising  development.......

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

Wait wait wait what?? 

There is a u20 tournament in Bradenton where we have a MNT camp and where qualifying is and we haven’t called our u20s?  I mean, not like we have anything going on for them and qualifying is in 2 months. We could have at least scrimmaged MNT v U20s.. like wtf. This would have been a perfect opportunity to be cost efficient and make the most of the window for our pool and two teams. 

You cant even be mad at Ayo.. we don’t even have a camp running.

We don't have enough money. Toulon was the only U20 camp we could run. 

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

Anyways he still has mountains to climb before he can join either the US or Canadian men's national team.

Let's not kid ourselves it's a small mound, we've capped plenty with less pedigree and professional experience.

Sure, but who's he's gonna bump out of the attacking line-up anytime soon, Fonzie, Larin, Millar? We're fortunate enough that all is not dependent on this one fence sitter anymore.

Of course you can always use more options and I do hope he'll suit op for Canada some day. But I really don't see him in the MNT yet. 

The way I look at it, if he wants to be another Teal Bunbury he'll play for the states. He'll probably be a better player than Bunbury is and might get more than 4 caps, but they have way more depth and I can't see him being a regular. 

Obviously there isn't any guarantee that he'll be a starter for us any time soon with Cav, Larin, Millar and David all being young and playing really well right now. Our overall depth isn't that great though so if you consider things like injuries, Akinola has a far better chance to make more appearances with us. 

Like shamrock just said, we're not dependent on him joining but I still really hope he does. 

if we were serious about recruiting him away from the US program, we wouldve called him up for the CMNT camp and capped him in stoppage time, couldve easily taken Rickett's place.  maybe we did and he declined, who knows. 

Personally I dont even see Akinola becoming any better than AJH or even Jordan Hamilton, who are well down the pecking order... but time will tell. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the lineups for US youth teams, it seems they are using him as a #9, no longer as a winger for now (he was a right winger at the U-17 World Cup). That helps his chances with the US. The US is clearly stronger in young wingers than CFs and it's not close. Bobby Wood is currently the best senior option and he's not very good. Beyond Wood, the top three young US #9s are playing for a bottom-table Eredivisie side, in Regionalliga, and in U-19 Bundesliga. The US's best hopes for talent at the position might be waiting on a trio of US-eligible France, England, and Germany youth internationals, which doesn't reflect well on the US-produced talent. One of the three, Folarin Balogun of Arsenal, recently accepted a US callup and played in some friendlies but then went right back to England youth teams.

I don't think Akinola will ever become a significant US player but it is completely possible he could eventually earn a handful of caps and get cap-tied in a Gold Cup or WC qualifier as a CF.