Ayo Akinola

masster

• 4 months later...

So Akinola wasnt named to the US U-20 camp/match with Honduras for later this month and there were a bunch of 2000's called.  Good news? Bad news? Is he hurt, not good enough etc??  If he isnt getting called by USA maybe canada should work on him.  Hasnt done much in a couple of cameos for TFC2 so far this year.  

24 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Rumour has it he was called by Canada for Toulon but declined? Can anyone confirm?  Is he injured? Not sure how the timing works but maybe he was hoping to get called for US U20 instead (makes sense given history) 

Pretty sure he played this morning.

3 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

Rumour has it he was called by Canada for Toulon but declined? Can anyone confirm?  Is he injured? Not sure how the timing works but maybe he was hoping to get called for US U20 instead (makes sense given history) 

Smart decision.... Keeping his options open, without filing a 1 time switch. 

I think he's coming back from injury or something. He has an MLS contract but hasn't been in the squad once (even Ben Spencer has played for TFC). And in the second team, he hasn't had a start. So not overly impressed by him so far but there must be something there for Bezba and the US youth team manager to select him. 

On 5/10/2018 at 2:28 AM, shamrock said:

I think he's coming back from injury or something. He has an MLS contract but hasn't been in the squad once (even Ben Spencer has played for TFC). And in the second team, he hasn't had a start. So not overly impressed by him so far but there must be something there for Bezba and the US youth team manager to select him. 

He was on the bench for TFC when they got thrashed by Houston. 

Sargent and Weah both in the USA squad getting their first caps... would think Akinola isn’t on the radar, USA days are likely numbered at this point, realistically is he expected to be a good MLSer and that’s it ? Or can he be more ?

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Sargent and Weah both in the USA squad getting their first caps... would think Akinola isn’t on the radar, USA days are likely numbered at this point, realistically is he expected to be a good MLSer and that’s it ? Or can he be more ?

The guy still has a U20 cycle remaining. I don'T think that he would shut the door on the US until he sees he's not getting called at the U20 level.

6 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Or maybe it means he's closer to the Senior team because his youth teammates are getting called? Two ways of looking at things...Akinola was injured earlier this year, let's wait a while before writing him off.

8 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Or maybe it means he's closer to the Senior team because his youth teammates are getting called? Two ways of looking at things...Akinola was injured earlier this year, let's wait a while before writing him off.

Eh. It's becoming pretty clear that Weah and Sargent are the future of the US at striker. Their promotion means that Akinola is still in the conversation for US u20 minutes, but it's hard to imagine a timeline in which Akinola joins them at the senior team anytime soon. Hell even with them gone, he's not starting over Carleton, Soto, de la Fuente, and Llanez. And the American pool is only going to get deeper once some of the German-American dual nationals flip. 

If I could pick a Canadian-American to lock down right now, it would be Verhoeven. Akinola still has promise, but as a size/speed player it's underwhelming that he isn't getting serious pro minutes right now. 

I don’t see why he would switch at this point.. he has just as good a shot at playing for USA u20s as us. He’s behind Millar, Hundal, Reid, Davies and probably David as well and I’m probably forgetting others. If he’s going to switch it should be for the first team where he definitely has a better shot with Canada (but still a ton of competition). 

I think Canada is just as deep if not deeper than the USA in attacking prospects at this age.

48 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I don’t see why he would switch at this point.. he has just as good a shot at playing for USA u20s as us. He’s behind Millar, Hundal, Reid, Davies and probably David as well and I’m probably forgetting others. If he’s going to switch it should be for the first team where he definitely has a better shot with Canada (but still a ton of competition). 

I think Canada is just as deep if not deeper than the USA in attacking prospects at this age.

Let's hope they prove it and qualify for the U20WC this time around!  Although, it is not the attack I am worried about.  Like the senior Nats, I wonder who will play CB.  Dunn & Romeo?

24 minutes ago, Keegan said:

It's closer than it's been in the past, but the US is definitively better. He wouldn't be guaranteed a starting role with Canada's u20s, but there is zero chance he makes a full strength American u20 roster. The US has 4 u20 attackers that would make our senior team roster right now in Weah, Sargent, Pulisic, and Amon.

57 minutes ago, Keegan said:

There’s a whole lot of delusion in this post.

22 minutes ago, Floortom said:

There’s a whole lot of delusion in this post.

Thanks for contributing.  I don’t really see how... a full strength Canada u20 has 3 attackers being Davies, Millar and ???. Now Akinola could be number 3 but going off his club play he’s behind Hundal, David, Reid at the moment. Tell me how that’s wrong? 

The point is that Canada and the USA aren’t far apart attacking talent wise and not even including Tabla.  I don’t see a clear advantage to switching at this point especially since if he’s on the bubble with Canada ie Akinola v David he’s getting cut.  He may as well wait right now and I believe he will.. would be glad to be wrong. 

Edited by Keegan

19 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Was hoping you had that answer.  No one in the Caps system?

The Caps have about 23959035 fullback prospects. Not a single CB prospect over 16 that looks like he'll even be USL level. Ruby has played CB in the USSDA, but is definitely a fullback long term.