Ayo Akinola

masster

10 hours ago, Addona said:

Hmmm.  I really think only 1 of those 4 would make our senior roster *right now*.  Sorry, but let's not exaggerate things ...

So an 18 year old who just started for PSG wouldn’t be called over the likes of Ricketts, Twardek or Millar??? 

He would be a shoe in almost as much as Pulisic. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

So an 18 year old who just started for PSG wouldn’t be called over the likes of Ricketts, Twardek or Millar??? 

He would be a shoe in almost as much as Pulisic. 

First, the fact that Weah is 18 years old makes ZERO difference when we are talking about *right now*.  ZERO.

If you had to play the WC final TODAY, rank these 10 options:

Hoilett, Larin, Cav, AJH, Davies, Ricketts, Pulisic, Weah, Amon, Sargent

And maybe take the top 4 (or 5?) from those rankings.

8 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Sargent is the only one that I even remotely doubt because he hasn’t played pro yet... but he’s probably starting in the Bundesliga in 3 months.

A guy who has never played a pro match is going to start in the Bundesliga in 3 months?  I don’t think even Alphonso Davies would start in the bundesliga and he’s won a golden boot at a confed championship. 

I know he’s highly rated but very tough to say that based off youth football.

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

A guy who has never played a pro match is going to start in the Bundesliga in 3 months?  I don’t think even Alphonso Davies would start in the bundesliga and he’s won a golden boot at a confed championship. 

I know he’s highly rated but very tough to say that based off youth football.

Bremen’s coach has said he would have started late last season, but as a non-European he can’t play until 18.

12 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Who is Amon and where does he play?  

19 year old winger for FC Nordjaelland. 2 goals, 3 assists, 2 penalties drawn in 10 games. Very good stats, but like Davies, the stats don’t do him justice. He’s heavily compared to Emre Mor, who Nordjaelland sold to Dortmund a few years back. As soon as Amon gets healthy expect a similarly big transfer.

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Bremen’s coach has said he would have started late last season, but as a non-European he can’t play until 18.

I can’t seem to find this quoted anywhere. I just find that surprising as Bremen plays a single striker in false nine role who excels unless they’re using him as a winger. 

I think he’s going to be a stud and hopefully for the yanks he’s a Pulisic and not an Altidore, Adu or Agudelo.  

• 2 months later...

Wonder what his international future holds. I can't see the US (or Canada for that matter) calling him for now but he's 17/18 right? He's still behind Hamilton, who is behind Seba and Jozy, who are going to eat up all the minutes in the foreseeable future. Will be interesting...

I saw both TFC and Canada soccer's twitter accounts (plus Vanney himself) refer to '3 Canadians' scoring yesterday. So that would be Hamilton, Osorio, and Akinola. I do wonder if it's anything more than spin though. Akinola doesn't count as Canadian in the Canadian Championship after all.

1 minute ago, maplebanana said:

I saw both TFC and Canada soccer's twitter accounts (plus Vanney himself) refer to '3 Canadians' scoring yesterday. So that would be Hamilton, Osorio, and Akinola. I do wonder if it's anything more than spin though. Akinola doesn't count as Canadian in the Canadian Championship after all.

He technically is Canadian. Just doesn't count as Canadian for the Voyageurs Cup

32 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Spin. He's a US youth international. That trumps Vanney or media's description of him as Canadian.

I think he’d be great depth for our program and if he didn’t already have 17 caps for the US youth national teams we’d be talking about him more.  It does seem that he’s committed to being a US international and considering he’s born in the US I don’t really have any misgivings towards him going that way either.  

If he just decided to switch that would be great however.  I’m just not holding my breath on it.

I'm beginning to think Akinola has more of a chance with the US in the future. Not as a starter or significant player, but possibly someone who could get called in every now and then to B-team Gold Cups and to rough-and-tumble World Cup qualifying matches in which his physicality, athleticism, and nose for goal could be useful.

Now that Akinola is playing more of a center-forward position than winger, that helps his US chances. If he were a winger-only, he'd have little hope against Pulisic, Weah, Amon, de la Fuente, Llanez, Taitague, Pynadath, Reyna, and so on. But the US does not really have great young depth at the #9. Sargent, Wood (not really a youngster), Novakovich, Soto -- who else? Maybe they'll shift de la Fuente or Reyna there, but they're not naturally CFs. If the US keeps up their conversations with France U21 and Rennes striker Jordan Siebatcheu and convince him to switch given France's depth, then it would be a truly massive recruiting pickup that would hurt Akinola's chances with the US, but there's no guarantee that will happen anytime soon. Siebatcheu will want to push his limits with Les Bleus for a little while longer.

13 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Vanney pointed out he is wondering why Canada hasn't made more of an effort to woo him into representing them.

That’s another thing.. shut the hell up Vanney.  Did you need to be “wooed” to play for the USA?  He’s grown up here and plays pro soccer here... have people lost their damn minds.

1 hour ago, ChuckMe92 said:

I'm beginning to think Akinola has more of a chance with the US in the future. Not as a starter or significant player, but possibly someone who could get called in every now and then to B-team Gold Cups and to rough-and-tumble World Cup qualifying matches in which his physicality, athleticism, and nose for goal could be useful.

Now that Akinola is playing more of a center-forward position than winger, that helps his US chances. If he were a winger-only, he'd have little hope against Pulisic, Weah, Amon, de la Fuente, Llanez, Taitague, Pynadath, Reyna, and so on. But the US does not really have great young depth at the #9. Sargent, Wood (not really a youngster), Novakovich, Soto -- who else? Maybe they'll shift de la Fuente or Reyna there, but they're not naturally CFs. If the US keeps up their conversations with France U21 and Rennes striker Jordan Siebatcheu and convince him to switch given France's depth, then it would be a truly massive recruiting pickup that would hurt Akinola's chances with the US, but there's no guarantee that will happen anytime soon. Siebatcheu will want to push his limits with Les Bleus for a little while longer.

More than Canada or just closer to getting a US call than he was before?

25 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Hasn’t that Carleton been a bit of a bust at USL level? At least from what I’ve heard.

As far as I know he's been okay. Has got a bit of a run with ATL with Barco being in and out of the team (for a variety of reasons). Has picked up and assist or two, but nowhere near the numbers, PT or impact that Davies has had this year. 

So if we are comparing him to Davies, yeah he's been a bust.