Ayo Akinola

masster

Klinsmann started all this for  The US . Going after duel nationals and he turned it into a US policy, we need to do the same !  Now that we have 2026 as the candy,  we should be talking to all duel  nationals and saying come be part of something special for 2022 .   I worry that we don’t have that same drive to go after dual nationals because we have a BS inferiority  complex and  too cheap ! We have some amazing duel nationals  that could really change Canada in  concacaf and world of  football .   OZ went after dual nationals, I give him credit for it even if  they didn’t sign on,  I just hope the clowns and John herdman continue that. 

7 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Klinsmann started all this for  The US . Going after duel nationals and he turned it into a US policy, we need to do the same !  Now that we have 2026 as the candy,  we should be talking to all duel  nationals and saying come be part of something special for 2022 .   I worry that we don’t have that same drive to go after dual nationals because we have a BS inferiority  complex and  too cheap ! We have some amazing duel nationals  that could really change Canada in  concacaf and world of  football .   OZ went after dual nationals, I give him credit for it even if  they didn’t sign on,  I just hope the clowns and John herdman continue that. 

The United States have numerous dual* nationals they can reach from the offspring produced by the service members of their German military base. We don't have such a lucrative demographic to go after so why would we devote time, money and resources for such an endeavour? We're going a different route, which is to create a soccer culture throughout the country by developing infrastructure through the growing professionalization of the game. We also don't have the resources of the USSF to get our top youth noticed by big European clubs before kicking a professional ball. I'm afraid our youth are going to have to do it the old fashioned way, which is to go through our budding professional system before getting potentially sold to a top European club. Davies did it and others will eventually follow suit.

Edited by Macksam

By the 2022 and/or 2026 World Cup, most of the US lineup and roster will be European-raised dual-nationals and those who moved to Europe by their 18th birthday or earlier without a domestic professional contract. The Canadian lineup and roster will have a majority of homegrown-contract players, a fair proportion of which eventually got sold to Europe. The rest will be a few who made the jump to Europe early (Miller), and a few more who are dual-nationals raised abroad (Brault-Guillard, possibly Tomori).

From the last four or so years, the only two significant MLS-homegrown-contract US players I can find who ended up going to Europe are Matt Miazga and DeAndre Yedlin, both defenders, and that was two and a half and four years ago respectively. For Canadian attackers just in the last year there is Davies, Tabla and Larin.

Edited by ChuckMe92

Not sure the US model will work long term... MLS is taking minutes away from young American players.

gave it more thought, there’s so many kids but where will they all play ? Like NYC alone is massive but if they can’t get Minutes will they all get scouted...

Edited by Dominic94

15 hours ago, ChuckMe92 said:

From the last four or so years, the only two significant MLS-homegrown-contract US players I can find who ended up going to Europe are Matt Miazga and DeAndre Yedlin, both defenders, and that was two and a half and four years ago respectively. For Canadian attackers just in the last year there is Davies, Tabla and Larin.

Wow, I didn't realize that until you brought it up. Really interesting find. I wonder why that is.

16 hours ago, ChuckMe92 said:

Larin was not a homegrown as he was drafted

30 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Larin was not a homegrown as he was drafted

Completely fair point. I suppose my main point is Larin played for a little while in MLS first. Over the last four years, the US has had zero attackers who played in MLS for even a brief moment then got sold to Europe. The American pool of quality attackers who are on homegrown contracts or went the NCAA/draft route is rather shallow; the best prospect is arguably Efrain Alvarez of LA Galaxy who chose to play for Mexico. The top American attackers of the future, even the second-tier ones, are going to be developed in Europe by 18 or earlier.

On 7/29/2018 at 3:50 AM, ChuckMe92 said:

I don’t follow American players nearly as much as I follow Canadian players so I can’t tell if you are missing others, but Erik Palmer Brown was an SKC homegrown that went to Manchester City. He is a defender as well, but just wanted to check if you actually know those are the only players to go to Europe or if that is just you thinking about it off the top of your head.

Nice little article about Neil Davidson for the National Post. I'm still not holding out hope for Akinola suiting up for Canada (at least, not any time soon). Side note, I never actually knew Ayo had a brother and that he played for the TFC Academy and the Canadian youth program; not sure how that slipped by me.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/toronto-fc-teenager-ayo-akinola-in-demand-when-it-comes-to-international-game

Edited by El Diego

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

I think he will suit up for Canada will unless they captie him within a year or so. But honestly I don't see a reason why they would. Right now he's just one of the up and coming talents of which there are many. 

But USA they been payin' attention to him too so but it all come down to which Federation/FA cap tie him first. Canada can use him but then again the USA can too. USA they depth chart as far as young talent right now is pretty deep but then again as of late Canada they depth chart too especially in recent years has been lookin good too. 

I don't see why the Canadian press are making the flag by the name a big deal - the kid does not meet the standard for Canadian content due to his choice to represent the US. In FIFA terms, and in our championship, he's an American. He gets the US flag and doesn't count to the minimum Canadian content. It's not hard to understand.

2 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I don't see why the Canadian press are making the flag by the name a big deal - the kid does not meet the standard for Canadian content due to his choice to represent the US. In FIFA terms, and in our championship, he's an American. He gets the US flag and doesn't count to the minimum Canadian content. It's not hard to understand.

It’s just Neil Davidson who apparently no one has informed since he’s put it in back to back articles.  These are the same people who wonder why we aren’t good internationally but think all players on other nations are still Canadian and should suffer no consequences... you can’t suck and blow! 

9 minutes ago, Keegan said:

It’s just Neil Davidson who apparently no one has informed since he’s put it in back to back articles.  These are the same people who wonder why we aren’t good internationally but think all players on other nations are still Canadian and should suffer no consequences... you can’t suck and blow! 

I replied to one of his posts on Twitter a few days back when he had an article about Vanney complaining so I am sure he knows. Disappointing that he is pushing that narrative as he is generally one of my favourite soccer writers

So Vanney is frustrated with the CSA for not pushing for Akinola now, when TFC were originally pushing for him to go with the USA youth system?  Is Vanney just pissed that he doesnt count as CDN content in the CDN championship games??  Or maybe now he thinks that Akinola will get more exposure in the CDN program instead of being far down the depth chart in terms of US strikers??

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So Vanney is frustrated with the CSA for not pushing for Akinola now, when TFC were originally pushing for him to go with the USA youth system?  Is Vanney just pissed that he doesnt count as CDN content in the CDN championship games??  Or maybe now he thinks that Akinola will get more exposure in the CDN program instead of being far down the depth chart in terms of US strikers??

To me, TFC=American team. Looking at the chain of command says as much.

5 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

In fairness, Vanney has generally done a pretty good job giving Canadian players a shot

This season for sure.  It’s weird it seems guys who were American homers like Vanney and Kurt Larson have suddenly turned to be pro Canada.

Vanney is protecting his player though with Akinola.  He’s probably scared of the vultures going after him so him and Davidson are pushing this victim story.. obviously he would feel bad if the kid was attacked and he was the one that pushed him toward that.

Cant wait for CPL to let CDN take the reins in the front office.  We need to develop managers, coaches etc so this kind of crap doesnt happen. so much.  A kid living in Canada, a canadian citizen, in a Canadian academy is ushered into to the US program by TFC's american braintrust??  Doesnt the success of MIllar, Davies etc show that even if you are in our inferior system you can still go places??  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Cant wait for CPL to let CDN take the reins in the front office.  We need to develop managers, coaches etc so this kind of crap doesnt happen. so much.  A kid living in Canada, a canadian citizen, in a Canadian academy is ushered into to the US program by TFC's american braintrust??  Doesnt the success of MIllar, Davies etc show that even if you are in our inferior system you can still go places??  

Is this fact or an assumption based on the nationality of most of the TFC technical staff?

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I really think that Vanney was just doing what he thought was best for him at the time. Seeing his potential he pushed him towards the American program. He got a bunch of experience and played in a World Cup.

Vanney I think now see what we all see. Akinola is unlikely to get a shot with the US going forward so he's trying to push that he should be playing with Canada. 

He's just going about it in the wrong way by being critical over a rule that was clearly stated in order to give Canadian players an advantage for once

9 minutes ago, RS said:

Is this fact or an assumption based on the nationality of most of the TFC technical staff?

Thats what Aaron Nielsen said at the time a few years back.  He seems at least as credible as Davidson, who wrote these last 2 articles about Akinola.  We dont need Vanney (tfc brass) ushering a kid one way (when its good for them) then complaining about CSA later when it looks like that might be best for TFC now.  

"The usually restrained Vanney, a former U.S. international, showed his emotional side after the Ottawa game when a reporter asked him whether Akinola was considered a Canadian and American. Vanney’s blunt response was that Canada Soccer could do a better job trying to woo the teen into the fold."  

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

In fairness, Vanney has generally done a pretty good job giving Canadian players a shot

Really? This year he has played more Canadians than other years, but if you take the time to count the Americans on the field and compare to the Canadians it doesn’t look so Canadian after all. For example, the second leg against Ottawa (first game I checked that would be presumably pretty Canadian heavy).

Canadians: Fraser, Telfer, Chapman started. Subs, Hamilton, Morgan, Osorio.

6 Canadians, 3 as subs! Wow, looks fantastic!

Americans: Altidore, Akinola (yes, as of now he is American), Irwin, Morrow, Hagglund, Hernandez, Delgado

7 Americans, all starters. Oh... I see.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Really? This year he has played more Canadians than other years, but if you take the time to count the Americans on the field and compare to the Canadians it doesn’t look so Canadian after all. For example, the second leg against Ottawa (first game I checked that would be presumably pretty Canadian heavy).

Canadians: Fraser, Telfer, Chapman started. Subs, Hamilton, Morgan, Osorio.

6 Canadians, 3 as subs! Wow, looks fantastic!

Americans: Altidore, Akinola (yes, as of now he is American), Irwin, Morrow, Hagglund, Hernandez, Delgado

7 Americans, all starters. Oh... I see.

Athough I’ve thought that Vanney has favoured Americans over Canadians (Re:Ben Spencer) I would argue that is just good team management over picking more Americans over Canadians

3 out of the 6 (Hernandez is Puerto Rican ) are US internationals and starters and hagglund is a regular