Scott Arfield

Steven Gerrard on May 11th (yesterday):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajFN3bgWs0w

" ...Scott Arfield went out with the physio yesterday to do some pitch work and didn't have any issues; there's an outside chance that he could be involved at the weekend (the final match of the season vs Aberdeen on Saturday)"

So he will likely be healthy to play in June. He knows how important this match against Suriname is and I'll bet he will get the call and travel.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

" ...Scott Arfield went out with the physio yesterday to do some pitch work and didn't have any issues; there's an outside chance that he could be involved at the weekend (the final match of the season vs Aberdeen on Saturday)"

So he will likely be healthy to play in June. He knows how important this match against Suriname is and I'll bet he will getvthe call and travel.

I completely agree, expect Arfield to be there. 

37 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So he will likely be healthy to play in June. He knows how important this match against Suriname is and I'll bet he will get the call and travel.

If healthy, he needs to be there. I defended him for missing the last window, but this window is too important for anyone to skip. With 4 matches, we need the squad depth, which finally I think we do have. Outside of David, Davies and maybe Laryea, I’m not sure there’s anyone else on our team that starts all 3 of the important games (Suriname and the 2 legged tie).

I’m not optimistic that he’ll be there. Saturday might be a great indication of that too. 

Regardless if he’s there, I also can’t see him starting against Suriname or Haiti with 20-30mins of game time in 2 & 1/2 months. 

The fact that some of you are suggesting that, it’s a disrespect to our player pool - and the guys who have been playing/in form. He’s not a game changer.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I’m not optimistic that he’ll be there. Saturday might be a great indication of that too. 

Regardless if he’s there, I also can’t see him starting against Suriname or Haiti with 20-30mins of game time in 2 & 1/2 months. 

The fact that some of you are suggesting that, it’s a disrespect to our player pool - and the guys who have been playing/in form. He’s not a game changer.

He is indeed a game changer, when healthy he is one of our best.

Men lie, women lie, but stats/trends don’t...right?

18/19 - 12 goals 7 assists
19/20 - 9 goals 5 assists
20/21 - 7 goals 6 assists

In addition to him getting older, playing less for his club. His stats with Canada aren’t crazy either. It’s safe to say he’s past his prime, while we have guys entering there’s.

All in all, he was a game changer for us 2 years ago....I’m not sure he has that motivation to be nor do I think he needs to be. 

In current form, Atiba or Arfield...take your pick. As I don’t think we’ll see both in the starting XI.

Edited by Shway

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

2018-19 started 43 games and subbed on for 3

2019-20 started 39 games and subbed on for 10

2020-21 started 25 games and subbed on for 19

⇧ Given the above ⇧

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

...playing less for his club.

How much has Arfield's form truly dropped if you look at minutes played per goal or minutes played per assists?

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

In addition to him getting older....

In current form, Atiba or Arfield...take your pick.

My friend, you can certainly play the "form" card to press your case for Atiba over Arfield, but I'm not sure you can play the "age" card in this particular case  ;)

20 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

⇧ Given the above ⇧

How much has Arfield's form truly dropped if you look at minutes played per goal or minutes played per assists?

It should also be said that Rangers have strengthened significantly from his first season to his third, yet he's still been a reliable contributor. Scotty is still a very solid player. 

By the way, we often talk about whether Arfield is still a starter for us, but I think it's become more of a status conversation. If we take a pragmatic view, there's a strong argument for bringing him off the bench:

1) He's reliable, rarely makes mistakes, which you cannot afford late in games.

2) Has tons of experience, knows what it takes to close a game out.

3) Is becoming increasingly used to helping his club close games out off the bench, all while putting up respectable stats.

4) Gives players who will be around for longer, like Osorio and Kaye, more experience starting matches.

5) Limiting his minutes may extend his career with both club and country. 

Edited by Obinna

22 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Maybe he finds a new club, Livingston in the Scottish premiership wouldn't be a bad idea 

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can you imagine him giving this up anytime soon to play for a club like Livingston?

Another year at Rangers? Maybe.

A move to MLS? Maybe.

If St. Johnstone win the Scottish Cup I can picture him playing Europa League matches with Spoony (unlikely).

Livingston seems very very unlikely. I think he has family there but that’s the only reason I can imagine for such a move and Scotland's not that big anyways.

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

A move to MLS? Maybe.

If St. Johnstone win the Scottish Cup I can picture him playing Europa League matches with Spoony (unlikely).

Livingston seems very very unlikely. I think he has family there but that’s the only reason I can imagine for such a move and Scotland's not that big anyways.

If he's cast aside from Rangers I still don't see a move to MLS.

I see him riding off into the sunset at Rangers, but if not perhaps some other SPL club that's at least moderately competitive. 

I wonder if returning to the English Championship or League One would be on the table if he were to leave.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Shway said:

In addition to him getting older, playing less for his club. His stats with Canada aren’t crazy either. It’s safe to say he’s past his prime, while we have guys entering there’s.

All in all, he was a game changer for us 2 years ago....I’m not sure he has that motivation to be nor do I think he needs to be. 

In current form, Atiba or Arfield...take your pick. As I don’t think we’ll see both in the starting XI.

He's a midfielder.  How is 7 goals and 6 assists a bad thing?

1 hour ago, Shway said:

We play 3 important matches in a short time frame. Even if it’s “Atiba or Arfield, take your pick”, Atiba certainly won’t start all 3 matches. At the very least, Arfield is a great substitute to have, but I think he can easily start a game or 2 if he gets himself fit.

Just now, archer21 said:

We play 3 important matches in a short time frame. Even if it’s “Atiba or Arfield, take your pick”, Atiba certainly won’t start all 3 matches. At the very least, Arfield is a great substitute to have, but I think he can easily start a game or 2 if he gets himself fit.

I agree. No one is going to play start 3 matches albeit the main outlier(s). 
I haven't said that he shouldn't be in the 30 man squad (have I?), I more stating how some of you guys are putting him automatically in the starting XI without having played any minutes since March, because of his past class.

Which brings me to my main point, and your last point "if he gets himself fit".
It's not possible for him to be game fit. Plain and simple. He hasn't played since......if he plays a full 90 on Saturday than great! He's good to go! But I'll take the under on him playing 45 mins.

The take your pick part, was in reference to the decider game vs Suriname. 

45 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

A move to MLS? Maybe.

Rangers staff know what they can get from him, they trust him.  If he continues to contribute, or adjusts his role he could probably keep going. Steven Davis is 35 and still going and Scotty is probably looking at that. 

24 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree. No one is going to play start 3 matches albeit the main outlier(s). 
I haven't said that he shouldn't be in the 30 man squad (have I?)

3 hours ago, Shway said:

You didn’t technically say he wouldn’t make the squad but you said you’re “not optimistic he’ll be there” which is essentially the same thing. You also said he wouldn’t start against Suriname or Haiti which would mean any of the 3 matches.

3 hours ago, archer21 said:

You didn’t technically say he wouldn’t make the squad but you said you’re “not optimistic he’ll be there” which is essentially the same thing. You also said he wouldn’t start against Suriname or Haiti which would mean any of the 3 matches.

Perfect, I stand by everything said.

Lets wait a few weeks, and remind me of this. 

To think he had the captain's armband at one time but I just hope he can find his way back into the team but with so many new faces making their cases, it is going to be kind of hard for Arfield to get back into our set up. I mean I'm just saying.