Scott Arfield

On 12/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Just goes to show you how important depth is. One second Arfield and Hutchinson are starters in Canada's midfield the next second one is injured and the other retired. *

*could-happen situation

This is why all those debates where we say "Yeah the US has great depth, but if you just look at best XI vs best XI we are close" is a bit disingenuous.

7 minutes ago, El Diego said:

This is why all those debates where we say "Yeah the US has great depth, but if you just look at best XI vs best XI we are close" is a bit disingenuous.

Exactly - that’s what I always say. How often does either side have their best XI available anyway ? This isn’t a video game.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

4 to 5 weeks. :(

5 weeks from today brings us to February 12th

10 weeks brings us to March 19th. He has to be 100% by then

With Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Osorio, Kaye and Piette available we should be more than fine without having to dip into our u23 pool. Teibert and Wotherspoon as squad depth options as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdman-confident-arfield-will-available-marquee-canada-games/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Another player who was also in a rich vein of form was Scott Arfield at Rangers prior to his injury. However, Rangers coach Steven Gerrard curiously raised some eyebrows in Canada after claiming that the Canadian captain “doesn’t go on international duty anymore.”

Arfield later clarified those comments from his club manager saying that decision is up to Herdman and that they’ve chatted “on numerous occasions” since Arfield’s last call-up in November 2019.

“It’s an ongoing conversation with Scott,” Herdman claimed. “In his experiences now, he knows he’s getting late in his career. He’s got a very young family, so it’s about the right moments. I think for Scott, certainly this year, he’s got one focus and that’s to win the title with Rangers. He feels deeply committed to achieving that for the fans and he knows he can’t be getting pulled into international activity too frequently. 

“The impact it had on him the previous season when we were pushing for the Nations League, it’s tough. His body is starting to ask him some critical questions. I think there’s definitely some issues he’s got behind the scenes in terms of his commitments and from my side, I’ll always respect him. But I think when the big games come, I think Scott will be available.”

I think it’s time to move the Captaincy.

Edited by trc2014

1 minute ago, LeoH037 said:

For the big games I don't doubt Scott will be there, and whenever he is able, he should be more than welcomed. None of us are pro players/athletes, so we'll never know the toll these things take, both physically and emotionally.

Agreed but I think the person wearing the “C” should be there on a more frequent basis.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, sloth8 said:

Arfield is expected to rejoin the squad at the end of this week and will hopefully be ready to play for Rangers in their Europa League match on Feb. 18.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55901363

That is great news.  Will be good for him to get back on the pitch.  

And no idea what our upcoming schedule will look like but it would be great if he could be healthy and ready to go if/when the time comes.  

Herdman has more or less confirmed that Scotty will only receive a call-up to the CMNT for the "big games". Herdman notes that it is a combination of his age, family issues, and wanting to win the title with Rangers.

Safe to say, Scotty won't be playing Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-arfield-reaches-rangers-canada-23475200

3 minutes ago, sloth8 said:

Herdman has more or less confirmed that Scotty will only receive a call-up to the CMNT for the "big games". Herdman notes that it is a combination of his age, family issues, and wanting to win the title with Rangers.

Safe to say, Scotty won't be playing Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-arfield-reaches-rangers-canada-23475200

I know the story is from a couple days ago but those quotes are from January (during our camp I believe). Rangers have all but won the title at this point so I think our chances of him being there for March matches have improved since then. It'll also depend on whether they're still in Europe at that point IMO.

In other news he's back training and looking good according to Gerrard.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/02/12/gerrard-claims-one-rangers-player-was-brilliant-in-training-yesterday-hasnt-played-in-7-weeks/

Edited by CanadaFan123

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I know the story is from a couple days ago but those quotes are from January (during our camp I believe). Rangers have all but won the title at this point so I think our chances of him being there for March matches have improved since then. It'll also depend on whether they're still in Europe at that point IMO.

In other news he's back training and looking good according to Gerrard.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/02/12/gerrard-claims-one-rangers-player-was-brilliant-in-training-yesterday-hasnt-played-in-7-weeks/

While you make a good point about Rangers, you left out the family and age part. 

My thing is what does "big games" constitute? And how is he hoping/planning to involve him in a team that (if he's not their in March) would have not seen him in almost two years.