Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

The way they are set up tactically, Kaye gets to be the work horse beside the distribution hub of Feilhaber in the central midfield in front of the central defence.  So, yes I think his skillset helps him there.

Precisely. I don't think Bob Bradley will be in a rush to break that up.

• 3 weeks later...

Impressive again by MAK.

Really strong start to the season.

I can't help but see a young Atiba Hutchinson when I watch him. He even moves in the same way. Has similar technique.

Like I said before, he is not at Hutchinson's level, but if he can have even half the career Atiba did, it would bode well for us.

Stylistically, he is just so similar.

Him and Piette = the next Hutchinson and JDG?

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I can't help but see a young Atiba Hutchinson when I watch him. He even moves in the same way. Has similar technique.

Like I said before, he is not at Hutchinson's level, but if he can have even half the career Atiba did, it would bode well for us.

Was at the Whitecaps-LAFC game tonight and I have to say that I agree: he looks a little like a young Atiba. Big, athletic, controls the ball and makes the occasional great pass. Very impressed with how far this guy has got.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Impressive again by MAK.

Really strong start to the season.

If you mean next Hutch and JDG at a MLS standard then sure. At the same point in both their careers Hutch and JDG were starting in top-tier European leagues. 

1 hour ago, xman14 said:

If you mean next Hutch and JDG at a MLS standard then sure. At the same point in both their careers Hutch and JDG were starting in top-tier European leagues. 

Denmark has a top tier league? Or were you refering to Sweden? Atiba had to work his way through the scandanavian circuit before making it. 

He had a couple of hiccups when receiving the ball from the back line resulting in turnovers and he still needs to work on body position to protect the ball under pressure but all the other areas of his game were really strong last night.  Great job!

The best part for his development is that he's learning from some quality coaching (Bradley, Dos Santos) and, just like the Cancon at TFC, some excellent international players (Vela, Rossi, even a crafty US vet like Feilhaber).  That helps raise his ceiling.

I had advocated that the Caps should have picked him up from Louisville for this season but I am sure glad that didn't happen.

3 hours ago, Alex D said:

Denmark has a top tier league? Or were you refering to Sweden? Atiba had to work his way through the scandanavian circuit before making it. 

He did work his way up, though at an earlier age, starting in Sweden at 20.  However to be fair Copenhagen are by far the most successful team in Denmark and were a solid Champions League team while Hutchinson was there.  He became known there as a quality European footballer and if I remember right it was at this time, with Julian at Deportivo la Coruna and Patrice in Norway then Germany then Denmark, that Canada sometimes began to be referred to as having potentially the best central midfield in North America.  So Hutch was at that point a much higher profile than Kaye is now. 

That said Kaye's vision and composure are really impressive and I think he may have more physicality than Hutchinson did in his prime.  The overall similarities are really quite striking the more I watch.

And to be fair, even if Piette and Kaye are DeGuzman-lite and Hutch-lite that may be all we need them to be.  Atiba and Julian were often pushed into more offensive responsibility on Canadian soccer teams than should have been the case.  I think we now have enough offensive talent in front of them that Piette and Kaye can focus completely on the disruption and distribution they excel at, without needing to try and be something they at not.

7 hours ago, xman14 said:

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

And to be fair, even if Piette and Kaye are DeGuzman-lite and Hutch-lite that may be all we need them to be.  Atiba and Julian were often pushed into more offensive responsibility on Canadian soccer teams than should have been the case.  I think we now have enough offensive talent in front of them that Piette and Kaye can focus completely on the disruption and distribution they excel at, without needing to try and be something they at not.

@xman14 ^this.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Every match I watch he makes a couple minor errors but he is definitely a presence in the middle of the park. Closer to a Bernier than a Hutch imo. 

Because of the mistakes, or style wise? Because style wise he definitely seems morr like Hutch, at least in my eyes.

I should also add that for me, 23 year old Kaye is like a young version of the current Hutchinson, not the 23 year old Hutchinson.

Similar situation when comparing Piette to JDG.

At 23, Julian was at Hannover I believe, and he was still more of an attacking midfielder. He never developed into a holding midfielder until we went to La Liga. 

So what excites me (and to build off of @Shortdutchcanuck's post) is that MAK and Piette today are similar to the central midfield versions of Hutchinson and JDG from the 2010 and 2014 qualifying cycles.

I am just commenting on their style/role at this point.

I don't know how MAK and Piette will evolve, but to have those two guys in that role from a young age (23) is awesome.

Assuming they continue in to develop as central midfielders, we can have them, more or less in their prime, for 2 full cycles, (2022 & 2026).

And then it is the players around that MAK/Piette spine, such as Davies, Larin, Cavallini, Hoilett, maybe Millar, that really excites me. Hell I would even through Osorio into that group.

Point is, Hutchinson and JDG were not surrounded with such players. There was Dero for a while, Radz for a while, Simpson for a while, but to be honest I think our current crop is shaping up to be much better both in quality and depth.

11 hours ago, Alex D said:

Top tier - as in top of the national pyramid in a given country.

On 4/14/2018 at 1:47 PM, Obinna said:

And then it is the players around that MAK/Piette spine, such as Davies, Larin, Cavallini, Hoilett, maybe Millar, that really excites me. Hell I would even through Osorio into that group.

I 100% agree with everything you wrote in that post. In this quoted part just don't forget Arfield, he has been a class above when he steps on the field for us.

On 2018-04-14 at 1:47 PM, Obinna said:

Because of the mistakes, or style wise? Because style wise he definitely seems morr like Hutch, at least in my eyes.

I should also add that for me, 23 year old Kaye is like a young version of the current Hutchinson, not the 23 year old Hutchinson.

Similar situation when comparing Piette to JDG.

At 23, Julian was at Hannover I believe, and he was still more of an attacking midfielder. He never developed into a holding midfielder until we went to La Liga. 

So what excites me (and to build off of @Shortdutchcanuck's post) is that MAK and Piette today are similar to the central midfield versions of Hutchinson and JDG from the 2010 and 2014 qualifying cycles.

I am just commenting on their style/role at this point.

I don't know how MAK and Piette will evolve, but to have those two guys in that role from a young age (23) is awesome.

Assuming they continue in to develop as central midfielders, we can have them, more or less in their prime, for 2 full cycles, (2022 & 2026).

Point is, Hutchinson and JDG were not surrounded with such players. There was Dero for a while, Radz for a while, Simpson for a while, but to be honest I think our current crop is shaping up to be much better both in quality and depth.

I agree with most of this except I think in 2008 we had better players all around, we just severely underachieved. Imhof who was playing in bundesliga couldn’t get off our bench and jos Simpson a star at Kaiserslautern wasn’t even getting calls. 

I think MAK looks like Hutch and so you want to say they resemble each other but Hutch is much more dynamic. MAK seems to be a player who simply makes the right pass and holds the middle of the park with Hutch you have a player who likes to dribble and plays with flair. Bernier was very workman like and was best as a cog in midfield. 

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

I agree with most of this except I think in 2008 we had better players all around, we just severely underachieved. Imhof who was playing in bundesliga couldn’t get off our bench and jos Simpson a star at Kaiserslautern wasn’t even getting calls. 

I think MAK looks like Hutch and so you want to say they resemble each other but Hutch is much more dynamic. MAK seems to be a player who simply makes the right pass and holds the middle of the park with Hutch you have a player who likes to dribble and plays with flair. Bernier was very workman like and was best as a cog in midfield. 

True, but I think we have a little more depth now. I seem to recall the NT in the Yallop/Mitchell  era having to rely on a lot of players from the Impact and Whitecaps when they were in the A league. 

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

I think MAK is just as dynamic as Hutchinson, if not more.

What you are seeing is him playing safe as he adjusts to MLS level. Already though, he is getting more comfortable and you can see flashes of skill.

Last game he was closed down by two players and got out of trouble with a very cleaver, skillfull turn. So he is much more than a pass and move player and I think we will see it more as he adjusts.

I believe he has that dynamicism in his locker. We saw it with the U-23's in Qatar. We even saw it a bit in the Gold Cup (where he was probably scouted by LAFC, ironically).

Hutchinson on the other hand plays just how you describe MAK. Just holds the midfield and makes the right pass. That is why he is generally top of the league when it comes to pass percentage. You don't get those stats by playing a dynamic game.

If you can point to recent instances where Atiba is dynamic I will hear it out, but for Besiktas and Canada, from what I can see, Hutchinson is the epitome of holding and playing it safe. The one exception recently was his last game against Jamaica when he was involved with a goal. I recall some nice footwork in the attacking third, kinda close to the corner. However, I think Kaye is absolutely capable of pulling that sort of thing off.

Perhaps Atiba at 23 was much more dynamic than what Kaye is showing currently, but I am drawing comparisons with 35 year old Atiba, not the player at Copenhagen in the past.

We could argue that Hutchinson is not showing his dynamicism due to age, while MAK is not showing it (yet) due to recently taking a big step up from USL.

Regardless, I don't think we can say Hutchinson is more dynamic than Kaye when they currently play in the same way (for different reasons).

Happy to debate it further with you of you'd like :)

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We could argue that Hutchinson is not showing his dynamicism due to age, while MAK is not showing it (yet) due to recently taking a big step up from USL.

Regardless, I don't think we can say Hutchinson is more dynamic than Kaye when they currently play in the same way (for different reasons).

Happy to debate it further with you of you'd like :)

Big points for using 'dynamicism' in a sentence!

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

Hutchinson for Canada and Hutchinson for Besiktas are different players. To be clear I’m not referring to Hutch in Turkey but for Canada where he is much more than than holding the middle of the park.. he makes runs with the ball, has flair etc you’re right MAK did have a nice run against Qatar in u23 play and also against Jamaica in September iirc.  Hopefully we can see more but for the moment I think he’s more of a Bernier, which is just as well. 

46 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Hutchinson for Canada and Hutchinson for Besiktas are different players. To be clear I’m not referring to Hutch in Turkey but for Canada where he is much more than than holding the middle of the park.. he makes runs with the ball, has flair etc you’re right MAK did have a nice run against Qatar in u23 play and also against Jamaica in September iirc.  Hopefully we can see more but for the moment I think he’s more of a Bernier, which is just as well. 

Bernier for Montreal or for Canada? :)