Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

Not sure why everyone keeps giving OZ credit for MAK success. Findlay had selected him for U23 camp in Qatar last year before OZ was even in the picture. He stood out there with OZ “managing” but he met those players something like 2 days before the first match if you look at the timeline between senior camp vs Scotland and Qatar a few days later. Yes OZ called him to GC and other friendlies. Rightfully so, but pretty sure Findlay and maybe even Stalteri should be getting the props for first getting him in and helping to keep him there. Really stoked to see MAK develop. OZ as some wizard of talent recognition - meh. 

29 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Not sure why everyone keeps giving OZ credit for MAK success. Findlay had selected him for U23 camp in Qatar last year before OZ was even in the picture. He stood out there with OZ “managing” but he met those players something like 2 days before the first match if you look at the timeline between senior camp vs Scotland and Qatar a few days later. Yes OZ called him to GC and other friendlies. Rightfully so, but pretty sure Findlay and maybe even Stalteri should be getting the props for first getting him in and helping to keep him there. Really stoked to see MAK develop. OZ as some wizard of talent recognition - meh. 

Whatever you say Mr. Herdman.

33 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Not sure why everyone keeps giving OZ credit for MAK success. 

Because Kaye himself indicated that Bradley saw him play in the Gold Cup and  that this helped him get the gig in LA and OZ is the one who played him in the tourney. Just because people are giving OZ credit doesn't mean they are denying credit to others like Findley.

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

MLS assist. He laid it off to Vela who found a cutting pass to Rossi.

First half: Kaye ? Jako ?

I think you are doing the pass a little injustice by suggesting it was a mere lay off. It was a nice lengthy forward pass that beat one defender and found Vela perfectly on the run. Quite a nice play.

19 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Because Kaye himself indicated that Bradley saw him play in the Gold Cup and  that this helped him get the gig in LA and OZ is the one who played him in the tourney. Just because people are giving OZ credit doesn't mean they are denying credit to others like Findley.

Fair enough. 

If we are talking about who deserves credit for Kaye getting his chance, let's give full credit to TFC, MLS and USL. TFC put a lot of time and money into him, got him an affiliated loan spell at Wilmington then time at TFC2 which then lead to him getting picked up by one of the new and strong USL clubs in Louisville. Without all of this, Kaye is not getting into national or MLS squads of any sort. 

34 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

There was plenty of skepticism about his inclusion in the Gold Cup squad, not just from posters like me but also a media person or two who whined that he was there ahead of more experienced NASL guys who they felt should have been asked about by OZ.  Hey, if Findley and Stalteri really pushed to keep him in the NT picture, then props to them, as well, but since we're not privy to any backroom conversations about the actual decisions, then there's no point in speculating so (rightly or wrongly) the blame or credit goes to the guy who takes the most heat.

But Michael, if you are posting on here, let us know the facts.

28 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

If we are talking about who deserves credit for Kaye getting his chance, let's give full credit to TFC, MLS and USL. TFC put a lot of time and money into him, got him an affiliated loan spell at Wilmington then time at TFC2 which then lead to him getting picked up by one of the new and strong USL clubs in Louisville. Without all of this, Kaye is not getting into national or MLS squads of any sort. 

Dont forget York University...2nd team all canadian, just a shout out to the CIS talent out there. Good thing TFC didnt shit can their USL club.  But all kudos to Kaye, hopefully he can carve out regular minutes the rest of the season.  

Watched the match; good to see him get a full 90. I think overall he had a good outing; him and Feilhaber had a good partnership as the deep lying mids. He made a couple of good through balls, including 2nd assist on the goal; also few timely interventions to win back possession. He also doesn't shy away from the physical stuff. That said, he had a few bad giveaways, one or two of which almost led to Seattle goals (poor decision-making with dangerous passes up the middle from his own box). Hopefully Bradley will be patient with him and he can work that out of his game as he matures. 

Nice little spotlight piece on the LAFC website about Kaye's performance yesterday against the Sounders.

Quote from Bradley: "A lot of guys gave big efforts. I thought Tyler Miller was very good in goal. Mark-Anthony Kaye, first game in the league, does a very good job holding things together in the midfield.”

On 04/03/2018 at 9:08 PM, BearcatSA said:

There was plenty of skepticism about his inclusion in the Gold Cup squad, not just from posters like me but also a media person or two who whined that he was there ahead of more experienced NASL guys who they felt should have been asked about by OZ.  Hey, if Findley and Stalteri really pushed to keep him in the NT picture, then props to them, as well, but since we're not privy to any backroom conversations about the actual decisions, then there's no point in speculating so (rightly or wrongly) the blame or credit goes to the guy who takes the most heat.

@soccer.shocker this is exactly what I was thinking too. I seem to recall plenty of WTF type posts on here when OZ (I think he was in charge at the time!) not only included MAK in the squad but actually started him -- with quite respectable results if I recall correctly.

I also seem to recall a significant dose of scepticism when OZ chose to start a certain Alphonso Davies, with Edwards being the preferred choice for many.

Yes, OZ definitely deserves a lot of credit.

Edited by dsqpr

@dsqpr fair enough. FWIW word after the Gold Cup was that Edwards was so unimpressive in pre-camp scrimmages vs ? Nicaragua that he played himself out any potential starting gig whereas MAK and Davies were much more on form at the time. 

Credit vs. blame aside, glad is he off to a good start with LAFC and hopefully we see him again with MNT this year, which I think would be justified.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

LAFC have signed another DP midfielder, who seems likely to take away some of Kaye's playing time:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/27/lafc-sign-portuguese-midfielder-andre-horta-third-designated-player

This is discouraging because Horta is a young DP but hopefully he keeps impressing Bradley and stays in the starting mix in some way.

@BearcatSA @Gian-Luca

Horta has been playing as a winger in Portugal, and he has shown the ability to play centrally.

I wouldn't automatically assume his inclusion will affect MAK. 

Latif Blessing is a winger, so perhaps more likely he is affected instead.

In any case Braga will not cancel their loan with Benfica, so Horta won't arrive until summer.

Edited by Obinna

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@BearcatSA @Gian-Luca

Horta has been playing as a winger in Portugal, and he has shown the ability to play centrally.

I wouldn't automatically assume his inclusion will affect MAK. 

Latif Blessing is a winger, so perhaps more likely he is affected instead.

In any case Braga will not cancel their loan with Benfica, so Horta won't arrive until summer.

The way they are set up tactically, Kaye gets to be the work horse beside the distribution hub of Feilhaber in the central midfield in front of the central defence.  So, yes I think his skillset helps him there.