Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

1 minute ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Really think this player can have a good pro career. Hopefully the Louisville rumours are true.

I think his move to LB this year put a hamper on his development.  Especially because of the fact that he went to Wilmington the previous year, and performed well in the  very few games (even scoring). Then next year the coach tells you you're a LB. 

Hopefully he rebounds from this.

• 1 year later...

Was wondering if anyone has any idea what the chances are of him moving up a level. I know it was only one game, but he played well against a good team and played ahead of a few established MLS players so wonder if any of them will take a look at him.

4 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Zambrano finds a gem. This guy was cut for Osorio and Chapman, but well done to him. Provided something different and earned his place.

You know he doesn't play much at Louisville either, right? Picking him to the squad is pretty amazing, let alone playing him against Costa Rica. 

15 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Reminded me of Kevin Harmse out there with his skill set, athleticism and very specific role.  Not sure I'm seeing the upside others are seeing but perhaps he can use this as a springboard to another pro level.

For me, one important part of his potential are his feet, because when combined with his strength and athleticism, it makes for a great package.

Compare him to a player like Charlie Trafford, who is a few years older sure, but I don't think he is as good on the ball as Kaye is. 

It's not just ability on the ball, I think he has good vision as well, it's just that his execution is too inconsistent for the international level. You can make those mistakes in the USL, but not here.

Like everyone, I hope an MLS team takes a chance on him, because I do think he has the potential to be a "Tony Tchani" level player in MLS, with perhaps a little more of an attacking nature.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

For me, one important part of his potential are his feet, because when combined with his strength and athleticism, it makes for a great package.

Compare him to a player like Charlie Trafford, who is a few years older sure, but I don't think he is as good on the ball as Kaye is. 

It's not just ability on the ball, I think he has good vision as well, it's just that his execution is too inconsistent for the international level. You can make those mistakes in the USL, but not here.

Like everyone, I hope an MLS team takes a chance on him, because I do think he has the potential to be a "Tony Tchani" level player in MLS, with perhaps a little more of an attacking nature.

In this one match, he showed some good things and he showed some not so good things.  We'll have to see how his career progresses 

I wasn't high on his performance as others. Appreciated that he wound up on loose balls a few times to start a counter but never really had a significant impact and there were a few time he left us frustrated.  Not sure about his selection, he has potential but I'd drop him for Johnson for the knockouts in a heartbeat. 

Really though, how is a guy who can't start in usl in this squad? Puzzling.

20 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I wasn't high on his performance as others. Appreciated that he wound up on loose balls a few times to start a counter but never really had a significant impact and there were a few time he left us frustrated.  Not sure about his selection, he has potential but I'd drop him for Johnson for the knockouts in a heartbeat. 

Really though, how is a guy who can't start in usl in this squad? Puzzling.

His start in yesterday's match was less surprising to me than the fact he was included in the squad at all. I suspect OZ had a very specific job in mind for that position and Kaye had the physical attributes for it. I wouldn't be surprised, even if we play a game or two beyond the group stage, that those are his only minutes of the tournament.

Edited by jonovision

27 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Starting Davies against FG was also a brave decision. The ability to make brave decisions is a crucial asset for a coach.

Floro made many beave decisions but failed

I think Kaye playing alright (not great but he didnt embarass anyone) goes to show what a player can do when he gets his chance surrounded with talent and good coaching.  Les face it, if he started a few years ago with Straith, Issey, Simeon Jackson, playing Floro ball he would have had a hard time of it.  Arfield is a beast, Hoilet and Davies are playing as well as any winger since Josh Simpson.  So Kaye just had to worry about his own little piece of the puzzle and had Arfield and Piette cleaning up any mistakes he made.   I dont want to take a nice game at the gold cup and project that into a miraculous transformation.  He needs to go back to Louisville (where he doesnt play much let alone start) keep working and build on this nice showing on a big stage.  

Exactly, it's not like we won 3 0 and every player played out of their skin. It was a good performance by the team as a whole but it doesn't mean some players weren't up to par as others. He wasn't the worst player for us, that was probably Jackson Hamel but we can do better.. just imagine Johnson in his spot. 

27 minutes ago, jonovision said:

His start in yesterday's match was less surprising to me than the fact he was included in the squad at all. I suspect OZ had a very specific job in mind for that position and Kaye had the physical attributes for it. I wouldn't be surprised, even if we play a game or two beyond the group stage, that those are his only minutes of the tournament.

This.  More of a niche, defensive role player for specific situations.  I wouldn't have been surprised that his first minutes were probably going to be in the final minutes of the FG match but OZ had to use a sub on Borjan.

8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Exactly, it's not like we won 3 0 and every player played out of their skin. It was a good performance by the team as a whole but it doesn't mean some players weren't up to par as others. He wasn't the worst player for us, that was probably Jackson Hamel but we can do better.. just imagine Johnson in his spot. 

I know I shouldn't but I keep thinking to myself, "if we had Hutch we could win this whole damned thing!" ...

41 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I've been thinking the exact same thing, Re:WJ.

As for Kaye,  I am glad he got a run out.  He made some mistakes but he def was not atrocious, no doubt the physical attributes are there. 

I honestly don't give up on players anymore until they are ~25-27 and I agree with what OZ said he def has the potential for a much higher ceiling.

I hope OZ showing that he has faith in him allows him to land somewhere where he can get regular minutes at a competitive level. Even if it a 18-36 month project, because of the potential ceiling. I could see 12-18 months of starting and and getting regular USL minutes, followed by a jump to MLS.  I honestly don't see that to be an impossible goal and I hope he puts his head down and this opportunity has given him the confidence and desire to do just that. All the best Kaye, cheering for ya!

Edited by apbsmith