Kianz Froese

38 minutes ago, narduch said:

He went 61 minutes in a 1-1 draw.

Seems like he was sacrificed because a teammate got red carded.

The scored the equalizer afterwards ironically.

This is massive for Kianz. Really liked him as a player when he started his pro career with the Whitecaps. If he can get regular mins in B2 he's back in contention for a spot with the CMNT. We are thin at CM and Oso has not been the same player he was prior to his serious injury. Choiniere, Ahmed and hopefully Kianz would give us more depth in the middle. Would prefer if Bombito develops as a CB.

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

This is massive for Kianz. Really liked him as a player when he started his pro career with the Whitecaps. If he can get regular mins in B2 he's back in contention for a spot with the CMNT. We are thin at CM and Oso has not been the same player he was prior to his serious injury. Choiniere, Ahmed and hopefully Kianz would give us more depth in the middle. Would prefer if Bombito develops as a CB.

We call players from the Dutch and Belgian 2nd tier.

If Froese can lock down a spot surely he can get a look

1 hour ago, narduch said:

We call players from the Dutch and Belgian 2nd tier.

If Froese can lock down a spot surely he can get a look

Not only that but Kennedy was being called our best CB while playing in B2.
So to echo your statement, if he does lock down a starting spot he definitely should get a look considering our lack of depth in that position.  

In an ideal world, I'd love to see a North American domestic camp with fringe MLS players and top CPLer's included.  Then Id' love to see a European based squad that would include some fringe players like Froese, Ennin, Batyrev, Colyn, and perhaps a few potential dual nationals such as Smith or LDF.

Reality is that I'm just hoping for any sort or camp/friendlies this fall.  A man can dream though...

Edited by Corazon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched the first half of the Pokal game vs RBL. Froese started for Wehen.  First time I have seen Kianz play since he left Vancouver. Didn't realize he was as fast as he is. Had a decent first half with lots of energy & hustle, with some decent plays vs a Bundesliga team. Got positive comments from the commentator. Score was 1-2 at the half for RBL. He apparently suffered a slight knock in the half and was subbed out @ 46'. Depending on the size of the squad for the Japan camp, he would be an interesting call up.

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Watched the first half of the Pokal game vs RBL. Froese started for Wehen.  First time I have seen Kianz play since he left Vancouver. Didn't realize he was as fast as he is. Had a decent first half with lots of energy & hustle, with some decent plays vs a Bundesliga team. Got positive comments from the commentator. Score was 1-2 at the half for RBL. He apparently suffered a slight knock in the half and was subbed out @ 46'. Depending on the size of the squad for the Japan camp, he would be an interesting call up.

Thanks for this. It's been ages since I've even seen a highlight featuring him. What position was he playing?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Started and subbed out m 61 as Wiesbaden draw Hamburg.

Agree that consistent B2 minutes has to put him back into our NT picture. 

He has already been playing consistent minutes. I think for whatever reason it all depends on the player.

Theres arguments for a lot of guys in the squad today that shouldnt be over some of the guys that missed out. 

It's all arbitrary.

50 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Is an attacking mid with 1 goal and no assists in 9 2. Bundesliga appearances really someone we need to bring in? Sure it'd be nice to get a look but not in anything other than a camp Poutine situation imo.

Scott Kennedy was playing on one of the worst teams in the league but was being touted as our best CB by a lot here...

The comparative analysis is off a lot. 
And I'm not saying he deserves a call up, but when we have some guys who are in camp and have barely played...is when these conversations happen.

2 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Is an attacking mid with 1 goal and no assists in 9 2. Bundesliga appearances really someone we need to bring in? Sure it'd be nice to get a look but not in anything other than a camp Poutine situation imo.

We were thrilled when Kennedy went to B2 and thought he'd be on track to lead our defense. Then he faltered, was injured. Still, it's about what a player sees, Kianz is now seeing a higher level.

It's a high level of play, I'd argue the best second tier in the world. Only 18 teams, no fluff or filler, great teams and massive stadiums.

He's 27… let's see if he can be consistent in B2.

Kianz also played as a #8 in prior seasons as well as going back to his MLS days. So there's some position flexibility. Can't argue with Oso & Hoilett's quality but both have slowed down and you have to be concerned if they have the legs to keep up at the international level. The Japan game will be a good test to see if some of the older vets still have it.

Edited by Kadenge

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Kinaz also played as a #8 in prior seasons as well as going back to his MLS days. So there's some position flexibility. Can't argue with Oso & Hoilett's quality but both have slowed down and you have to be concerned if they have the legs to keep up at the international level. The Japan game will be a good test to see if some of the older vets still have it.

I go back to the Kennedy comparison. I'd hoped he'd play a few injury-free seasons in B2… which would have put him into our second tier of players in terms of club play. Also thinking that if things went well he'd transfer up to a team with promotion possibilities.

Jahn Regensburg isn't B1 material, neither is Wiesbaden. For Kianz it's the same deal, if you can get a few seasons in B2 that really consolidates your level, because of the quality of rivals you face. So that's comparable to Championship and MLS, it's in there with Switzerland or Austria or the Scandinavian top flights. If you can take the next step, a B2 with real promotion chances, even better. Anyways, as is, by the spring, if he's still getting minutes, you have to put him on our radar.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I do understand the Kennedy comparison but i think it is completely different. We were so desperate for CB's. We had hope that Sondre Solholm (Motherwell) and Thomas Holmes (Reading) had found Canadian roots. Since then we have had a bunch of MLS CB's that have improved and are on the MNT radar. Kennedy and Zator have definitely moved down. Other that Vitoria and Kamal, there was no guarantees to be on the roster.

I have never considered the midfield as weak. Eustaquio, Kone, Osario are given. Hoilett can always move more into a midfield spot. MAK, Fraser, Ahmed, Saliba, Paton, Loturi, Wotherspoon, Zouhir and I am sure I am forgetting others. I feel Froese would be at the back end of the midfielder list.  Probably ahead of Zouhir and Wotherspoon. But way down the list.

I dont think anyone has actually seen him play since his Whitecaps days. It amazes me at his support in here

1 hour ago, blueseeka said:

I do understand the Kennedy comparison but i think it is completely different. We were so desperate for CB's. We had hope that Sondre Solholm (Motherwell) and Thomas Holmes (Reading) had found Canadian roots. Since then we have had a bunch of MLS CB's that have improved and are on the MNT radar. Kennedy and Zator have definitely moved down. Other that Vitoria and Kamal, there was no guarantees to be on the roster.

I have never considered the midfield as weak. Eustaquio, Kone, Osario are given. Hoilett can always move more into a midfield spot. MAK, Fraser, Ahmed, Saliba, Paton, Loturi, Wotherspoon, Zouhir and I am sure I am forgetting others. I feel Froese would be at the back end of the midfielder list.  Probably ahead of Zouhir and Wotherspoon. But way down the list.

I dont think anyone has actually seen him play since his Whitecaps days. It amazes me at his support in here

It's theoretical and projecting forwards, you are right.

But give him 4-5 more months of consistent play in B 2 and that has to change, he's into our top half dozen of mids, on paper.

Bundesliga 2, like any top 2nd Division, is better than MLS at its top end and closer to it as you go down. So that's what we're talking about. Osorio has slipped, Hoillet isn't really impressing, both are ageing and not well; MAK has fallen off sharply, Ahmed is on the rise and young. The guys in Scotland aren't on strong teams, neither is even B2 strength. They just tied Hamburger, with a stadium holding almost 60,000, the only team to play continually in top flight Germany since WWI until relegating 5 years ago. Our only other division 2 players seeing that level of competition are Kone and Millar.

We have very few players who've shown perseverance and constant progression, most rise, fall back, settle back down. Let's see if he can be an exception.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's theoretical and projecting forwards, you are right.

But give him 4-5 more months of consistent play in B 2 and that has to change, he's into our top half dozen of mids, on paper.

Bundesliga 2, like any top 2nd Division, is better than MLS at its top end and closer to it as you go down. So that's what we're talking about. Osorio has slipped, Hoillet isn't really impressing, both are ageing and not well; MAK has fallen off sharply, Ahmed is on the rise and young. The guys in Scotland aren't on strong teams, neither is even B2 strength. They just tied Hamburger, with a stadium holding almost 60,000, the only team to play continually in top flight Germany since WWI until relegating 5 years ago. Our only other division 2 players seeing that level of competition are Kone and Millar.

We have very few players who've shown perseverance and constant progression, most rise, fall back, settle back down. Let's see if he can be an exception.

I would certainly like to see Froese given a chance with the CMNT. He is like Choiniere - under valued by CMNT staff - until the CFM player got his call earlier this week.

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I would certainly like to see Froese given a chance with the CMNT. He is like Choiniere - under valued by CMNT staff - until the CFM player got his call earlier this week.

While Chonière seems to have had a strong level in MLS for a few years, at least, Froese has just now made this jump up to B2. So I think one is a case of being ignored, the second is a question of making a case for himself to not be ignored in the near future.