Kianz Froese

Not signed to a senior contract by the 'caps but made his pro debut today against TFC in the ACC.

UNITED STATES SOCCER DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY
2012-13: Froese started 18 of 23 regular season matches for Whitecaps FC U-18 Residency, registering three goals. The Brunkild, Manitoba native scored the game-winning goal against Chicago Fire in a 3-0 triumph on June 24, 2013 in the USSDA playoffs.

INTERNATIONAL
U-17: In October 2013, Froese was called up to the Canadian roster for the FIFA U-17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looked good, obviously that was a tough situation to come into but at 18 he more than held his own.  I saw him in Toronto in the Vs cup and he didn't stand out but when he came on for Vancouver he fit in nicely and now I'm thinking he'll be a starter on the U20 team.  Good size, speed and showed a nice touch on a hard surface in a pressure situation.  Hopefully he gets some more opportunities and credit to Robinson for throwing him in there.

Looked good, obviously that was a tough situation to come into but at 18 he more than held his own.  I saw him in Toronto in the Vs cup and he didn't stand out but when he came on for Vancouver he fit in nicely and now I'm thinking he'll be a starter on the U20 team.  Good size, speed and showed a nice touch on a hard surface in a pressure situation.  Hopefully he gets some more opportunities and credit to Robinson for throwing him in there.

I mentioned before that I thought he and Bustos got lost in that game because they were playing with so many young guys & backups, but if he was given a chance to play with the starters he would fit in just fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Not sure what his career path is, but so far Kianz has not looked out of place playing on the wing at the MLS level or in central mid at the USL level. He is fast, strong and has some good moves. And he's still quite young. 

He's ridiculously versatile. AFAIK he can play DM (his role with U20s) CAM, winger, and even as a second striker.

I could see Kianz working his way into our top group of central mids eventually. Right now we have Atiba, Will Johnson, JDG, Osorio, Tiebert and Piette as the core group. I could see Kianz being groomed to replace JDG in that group.

Isnt that what piette was being groomed for? Or are they different positions?

I see Kianz with a lot more versatility. Piette is very promising at a holding mid position - but i don't see him leading the attack and taking on defenders like Froese does. 

But that's not what JDG does at this point in his career. Julian is the defensive mid combining with the backline and the 2 CAM's. Piette is being groomed to take over that role and offers more defensively than JDG does. Froese offers more and should be played in a more advanced role, be it on the wing or in the middle.