Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

29 minutes ago, Shway said:

Isn't that Orlando? Galesese or whatever?

Inter Miami keeper isn't bad either. I think a team in need is New England, and Portland.

Damn it you're right. Can't believe I confused those.

Drake Callender is highly rated, but Inter Miami could make sense. Crepeau could be an insurance policy if Callender moves, or he could beat him out and prove to be an upgrade. 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Damn it you're right. Can't believe I confused those.

Drake Callender is highly rated, but Inter Miami could make sense. Crepeau could be an insurance policy if Callender moves, or he could beat him out and prove to be an upgrade. 

Couldn't the same be said about staying with LAFC? Insurance policy if Lloris gets hurt, or beat him out regardless. Lloris is a 37 year old who was the 3rd string keeper for Tottenham, big name but is he really coming in and starting right away or viewed as a decided upgrade over Crepeau who played amazingly?

A move to ensure he's the full time starter would make sense to me, but not to go compete for a spot somewhere else unless its Europe / league upgrade.

54 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Couldn't the same be said about staying with LAFC? Insurance policy if Lloris gets hurt, or beat him out regardless. Lloris is a 37 year old who was the 3rd string keeper for Tottenham, big name but is he really coming in and starting right away or viewed as a decided upgrade over Crepeau who played amazingly?

A move to ensure he's the full time starter would make sense to me, but not to go compete for a spot somewhere else unless its Europe / league upgrade.

Good point.

I do believe that Lloris is definitely coming in to play, but maybe if you're LAFC you'd love to have Crepeau remain at the club in the meantime. How many seasons will they get out of Lloris? Maybe two like Chiellini? The problem is that Crepeau is out of contract in like a week, so the point is probably moot. 

28 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Per LAFC’s president, it sounds like they tried to keep him but we’re unable to, so they went after Lloris. Very curious where he ends up:

https://x.com/canfutboltalk/status/1742569320297705794?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

As I said, that was the only logical reason for their move for Lloris.  Interested to see where he goes in Europe.

37 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Per LAFC’s president, it sounds like they tried to keep him but we’re unable to, so they went after Lloris. Very curious where he ends up:

https://x.com/canfutboltalk/status/1742569320297705794?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Very interesting but makes sense. Hope its to try himself in Europe, wonder where he could land for the January window.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

As I said, that was the only logical reason for their move for Lloris.  Interested to see where he goes in Europe.

The more I think about it, the Lloris move doesn’t even make sense from that perspective. He won’t have played for about a year by the time next season starts, it’s not like keepers are going to put new fans in the seats, etc. That’s a side point though, I guess. I think he stays in MLS- he’s the best keeper on the market and I think a top tier contender could use him. I do hope the Europe itch is too hard for him not to scratch though. He could easily have close to a decade of playing career left in him, he can give a lot to a good team. 

With the hype Petrovic has now with Chelsea, I wonder if Crepeau is enticing to a team like Brentford or Bournemouth even- cheap solid keeper who can be very good for you, and if he’s not, no big loss.

35 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The more I think about it, the Lloris move doesn’t even make sense from that perspective. He won’t have played for about a year by the time next season starts, it’s not like keepers are going to put new fans in the seats, etc. That’s a side point though, I guess.

Oh, Lloris is still maybe an odd move for LAFC. I guess it depends what his salary will be. But he turned down the money from Saudi Arabia and he couldn't find another starting spot for a good team in Europe, so maybe he's just looking at this as the highest level he can play at while making a decent (but not huge) salary.

38 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think he stays in MLS- he’s the best keeper on the market and I think a top tier contender could use him.

He was already at a top tier contender in MLS. Any move within the league would be lateral at best. So staying withing MLS makes no sense, unless his agent has misjudged European interest.

I won't speculate on European clubs. There's too many options and leagues, and I simply don't know who might need a keeper right now (either due to injury or looking for an upgrade).

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Oh, Lloris is still maybe an odd move for LAFC. I guess it depends what his salary will be. But he turned down the money from Saudi Arabia and he couldn't find another starting spot for a good team in Europe, so maybe he's just looking at this as the highest level he can play at while making a decent (but not huge) salary.

He was already at a top tier contender in MLS. Any move within the league would be lateral at best. So staying withing MLS makes no sense, unless his agent has misjudged European interest.

I won't speculate on European clubs. There's too many options and leagues, and I simply don't know who might need a keeper right now (either due to injury or looking for an upgrade).

Oh, for Lloris it’s a great move- “face” of the league, gets to live and play in LA- it’s a great move if he wasn’t swayed by that Saudi money. For LAFC, I guess if it’s not Crepeau, they get a reliable keeper who will be good, and I think he’s only on $350k/yr, so very affordable (a pittance to live in LA though!). 

For Crepeau, a lateral MLS move would make sense if he’s getting a bigger payday and guaranteed playing time over what potential European offers would be. But if there’s a good offer, I hope he takes it.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

For Crepeau, a lateral MLS move would make sense if he’s getting a bigger payday and guaranteed playing time over what potential European offers would be. But if there’s a good offer, I hope he takes it.

That is what I was thinking - it only makes sense if he can get a pretty substantial pay bump.  But MLS seems generally hesitant to invest heavily in keepers so a European (or theoretically Mexican) move seems most likely.  Hell, maybe he will get a job in the Saudi league for stupid money. 

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is what I was thinking - it only makes sense if he can get a pretty substantial pay bump.  But MLS seems generally hesitant to invest heavily in keepers so a European (or theoretically Mexican) move seems most likely.  Hell, maybe he will get a job in the Saudi league for stupid money. 

Sean Johnson was a top MLS keeper who was a free agent and only got $405,751.00.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to another league looking to get $800k - $1M

Bit of a sidebar but he could move to a European league and start fighting for a starting role immediately.  In advance of our crucial game in March, that could be significant.  If Max re-signs with an MLS team and is out of season, the odds of him displacing Milan for that game are pretty much nil.  But if he is playing at a comparable (or better) level in Europe he would have a serious opportunity to grab the #1 spot for the March qualifier and probably be "the guy" at Copa.  That is a pretty big bonus in terms of international competition so it could be factoring into his thinking. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

31 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Sean Johnson was a top MLS keeper who was a free agent and only got $405,751.00.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to another league looking to get $800k - $1M

Is Crépeau better than Jamaica's André Blake?

Philly was paying him $894,375.00 (I decided not to round that number to give @Aird25 a laugh)

Either get more money in MLS or make about the same and possibly more in Europe.

Is Johnson happy at TFC?  Is it possible he asked to move and Crepeau is their plan?

The Lloris move is puzzling from a LAFC perspective unless they are getting him really cheap, which would make a lot of sense.  LAFC gets a top keeper at a bargain, Lloris gets to live in California for a little while.  Everyone wins.

A guy like Lloris obviously doesn't need the money, otherwise he's be in Saudi Arabia.  We can't ignore how much these guys (and their families) are willing to forfeit for the opportunity to live in class-A cities (NYC, Miami and California).  I can't imagine how much a team in Ohio would have to dish out to even sit at the table with Lloris.

54 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Is Crépeau better than Jamaica's André Blake?

Philly was paying him $894,375.00 (I decided not to round that number to give @Aird25 a laugh)

Either get more money in MLS or make about the same and possibly more in Europe.

No, but neither was Matt Turner or Zach Steffen. The potential of adding more American viewers boosted their value. Crepeau does have some advantage over Blake that way, but probably not enough to give him the opportunities those guys got. I hope he gets a better deal and starts in MLS rather than sitting on the bench, or playing in a low tier somewhere in Europe.

13 hours ago, costarg said:

Is Johnson happy at TFC?  Is it possible he asked to move and Crepeau is their plan?

The Lloris move is puzzling from a LAFC perspective unless they are getting him really cheap, which would make a lot of sense.  LAFC gets a top keeper at a bargain, Lloris gets to live in California for a little while.  Everyone wins.

A guy like Lloris obviously doesn't need the money, otherwise he's be in Saudi Arabia.  We can't ignore how much these guys (and their families) are willing to forfeit for the opportunity to live in class-A cities (NYC, Miami and California).  I can't imagine how much a team in Ohio would have to dish out to even sit at the table with Lloris.

This is commonly the case with bigger European players, who choose MLS teams based on "coolness" of a city. Often based on ignorance. Then I suppose the bigger market teams often can pay more. When objectively just go to the best team possible. Noone thinks hey, Turin isn't so nice (least attractive large Italian city, perhaps), not going to la Juve. Same with Manchester, or Newcastle, you go because of the prestige of teams and you and the family are fine. 

Often the modest market teams mean cost of living is lower. 

Why don't the Missouri teams, Fire, the Ohio teams, go for the big name players in the present? Do they think they can't fully benefit from the investment?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is commonly the case with bigger European players, who choose MLS teams based on "coolness" of a city. Often based on ignorance. Then I suppose the bigger market teams often can pay more. When objectively just go to the best team possible. Noone thinks hey, Turin isn't so nice (least attractive large Italian city, perhaps), not going to la Juve. Same with Manchester, or Newcastle, you go because of the prestige of teams and you and the family are fine. 

Often the modest market teams mean cost of living is lower. 

Why don't the Missouri teams, Fire, the Ohio teams, go for the big name players in the present? Do they think they can't fully benefit from the investment?

Fire do invest in big name players- they had Schweinsteiger a few years back, they also have Shaqiri now. As for other Midwest teams, these aren’t players playing at a stage of their career where modest cost of living is in consideration. Lloris, Messi, Alba, so on, have more money than they know what to do, so having accomplished just about everything they can accomplish in their career, why not go live in some of the most desirable cities outside of Europe?

I do like when stars do end up on other teams though. Homer or not, I think Drogba coming to Montreal was a very important move for the sport in this country and also for this city. When it looked like Shohei Ohtani was headed to Toronto a few weeks ago, the sports media was asking who the biggest free agent signing in Canadian sports history was, and a lot of people said Drogba, despite it being soccer, and despite it being Montreal. 

20 hours ago, Ruffian said:

That's base salary. Johnson was paid $683,013.00 last season according to the MLSPA.

That's what Crepeau should be making in MLS, minimum.