Will Johnson

Sam

13 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Hoping for a strong finish in the final two games of the season for Orlando City SC! He has a contract for 2018 but that doesn't mean anything, no guarantee there.

Jason Kreis said publicly he will have a busy off season and changes are coming 

I think he just means replacing Larin and Kaka 

WJ had a pretty good season (much better than at TFC) and should stay for another year.

Edited by badname22

52 minutes ago, badname22 said:

WJ had a pretty good season (much better than at TFC) and should stay for another year.

I think it is a lot more than just those 2. He sounds like it will be wholesale change time. When you have 38 GF and 51 GA you need to address both offence and defence. I think Johnson might stay but it depends on his salary more than his playing ability. $414k is a lot of money in a salary capped league. 

2 hours ago, badname22 said:

I thought he was really good at TFC prior to his injury.  His role complemented Bradley really well.

On 15/10/2017 at 12:06 PM, TRM said:

I think it is a lot more than just those 2. He sounds like it will be wholesale change time. When you have 38 GF and 51 GA you need to address both offence and defence. I think Johnson might stay but it depends on his salary more than his playing ability. $414k is a lot of money in a salary capped league. 

I think Kreis is going to try and change the culture of the team up a fair bit too given all the shit that went down this year. I would not be shocked if Johnson is released given his salary and off field issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

In this article ( https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdman-sees-toulon-golden-opportunity-canadas-prospects/ ), Molinaro says During my conversation with John Herdman, he talked about the possibility of recalling veteran midfielder Will Johnson, who last played for the national team on June 13, 2017 under former coach Octavio Zambrano. I also recently spoke to Johnson about his thoughts on playing for Canada again. Look for that story later this week on Sportsnet.ca."

Johnson would be a good player to play at right back to force our young RBs to have to win the spot.

3 hours ago, honestseveran said:

I think Arfield, Piette, Kaye, Osorio, Wotherspoon, and Hutch are all ahead of him right now.

If Canada keeps playing in a 4-3-3 that only leaves 3 spots for midfield since theyd have 2 wingers (Hoillet, Davies, Millar) and at least one striker (Larin, Hamel, or Cavallini), and frankly Arfield, Piette, Osorio, and Kaye are all ahead of Johnson at the moment, and within the next 4 years we could see a few younger guys stsrt to break out (i.e Okello)

3 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

If Canada keeps playing in a 4-3-3 that only leaves 3 spots for midfield since theyd have 2 wingers (Hoillet, Davies, Millar) and at least one striker (Larin, Hamel, or Cavallini), and frankly Arfield, Piette, Osorio, and Kaye are all ahead of Johnson at the moment, and within the next 4 years we could see a few younger guys stsrt to break out (i.e Okello)

WJ is in competition for the midfield 3 and would be in the mix with Arfield, Hutch Osorio, Piette and Kaye. In our best 11 it’s Arfield and Hutch for sure. For the 3rd spot I’m probably leaning towards Osorio but after that I’d be hard pressed to take Piette ahead of WJ and his experience. I for sure would rather a seasoned vet over Kaye who has less than 20 games of Div 1 football. Obviously there’s other factors, tactics and postitionimg questions but by no means is WJ out of the picture. 

39 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

WJ is in competition for the midfield 3 and would be in the mix with Arfield, Hutch Osorio, Piette and Kaye. In our best 11 it’s Arfield and Hutch for sure. For the 3rd spot I’m probably leaning towards Osorio but after that I’d be hard pressed to take Piette ahead of WJ and his experience. I for sure would rather a seasoned vet over Kaye who has less than 20 games of Div 1 football. Obviously there’s other factors, tactics and postitionimg questions but by no means is WJ out of the picture. 

I'm pretty sure we already have seen Atiba's last competitive game with Canada, its really time to move on from him, and arguably both Kaye and Osorio are better players than WJ atm, tactically and technically, and both are just entering their primes

Edited by LeoH037

1 minute ago, LeoH037 said:

I'm pretty sure we already have seen Atiba's last competitive game with Canada, its really time to move on from him, and arguably both Kaye and Osorio are better players than WJ atm, tactically and technically, and both are just entering their primes

Haha what?! Move on from Hutch? He’s a couple months out from playing the round of 16 of the Champions League?!

I created the parameter so let me expand on this.  We’re talking about our best 11. Final hex match away at Azteca tomorrow and we need a win. There’s no way Hutch is not starting. And you would rather Kaye, a guy with 13 MLS matches over WJ who has played more than 240?

He could have a role to play, thats an excellent way to put it.  The spots in the midfield are getting harder and harder to win and even at RB some options are starting to flesh out.  If everyone is available (never happens) he might not get a call, but his experience and tenacity will probably be needed at some point in the next qualifying cycle.  As far as the other business goes, if there were no charges pressed and he still shares custody of his kids who am I to say he cant play soccer for CMNT??  Davies, Kaye, Piette, Osorio's continued development along with Hoilet, Arfield, Wotherspoon committing to the program has pushed him to the periphery, but I''m sure we;ll see him again.  

Totally agree with Buzz.  Hutch has lots of game left,  especially when we don’t play any friendlies, he’s our  Best DM simple as that.  For me right now it comes down to Osorio or Johnson and my pick is Osorio. He’s more creative  then Johnson and Arfield is a basically an upgraded version of Will Johnson.  But I see Will as the perfect sub. Need fresh legs, close out a game. Our depth needs too be better. 

I really think WJ could give a solid RB option.  But he needs games with Canada, and it seems to me WJ is not interested in flying halfway across the world to play friendlies for Canada, nor is he a fan of the travel involved in the Gold Cup, and I don't blame him.  WJ has kids that want his time when the league breaks, and he has already sacrificed his fair share for Canadian soccer.  Herdman will have a tough decision to make.