Will Johnson

Sam

22 hours ago, Obinna said:

Exactly and furthermore, we need to develop the depth in the long term anyways.

If we can't afford a player like Will Johnson to skip the Gold Cup group stage, we are in big trouble, and we won't get out of said trouble without building more depth. Luckily I believe Zambrano understands this.

Johnson would start for most teams in Concacaf. Even if others would be starting ahead of him in midfield, he'd be the #1 midfield candidate to slide to the backline. 

Edited by One American

5 hours ago, One American said:

Johnson would start for most teams in Concacaf. Even if others would be starting ahead of him in midfield, he'd be the #1 midfield candidate to slide to the backline. 

Well he wouldn't start for Mexico or the US or Costa Rica. Honduras or Panama maybe. I don't think he'd start on the backline for any of those countries.

I understand the logic behind taking advantage of the Gold Cup break in the MLS schedule to heal up something that has been bothering you. I really do. But the reality is that this case and in 2015 as well it shows that he considers his club games unmissable, and Gold Cup games as optional. You can argue that his job is Orlando, but if everyone felt the same way we would only ever get guys to play in the Gold Cup that rarely see the field with their club team.

It's really hard to see his name on the top of the list here:
https://the11.ca/intrinsically-canadian-power-rankings-mls-week-18nasl-week-15usl-week-15/

Then after he rejects the call due to injury play the full 90 and do this:
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-06-30-real-salt-lake-vs-orlando-city-sc/details/video/109072

And I suspect he'll likely play tomorrow night as well. And this is a player that isn't playing with us because he's supposedly too injured. That doesn't sit well with me.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I understand the logic behind taking advantage of the Gold Cup break in the MLS schedule to heal up something that has been bothering you. I really do. But the reality is that this case and in 2015 as well it shows that he considers his club games unmissable, and Gold Cup games as optional. You can argue that his job is Orlando, but if everyone felt the same way we would only ever get guys to play in the Gold Cup that rarely see the field with their club team.

It's really hard to see his name on the top of the list here:
https://the11.ca/intrinsically-canadian-power-rankings-mls-week-18nasl-week-15usl-week-15/

Then after he rejects the call due to injury play the full 90 and do this:
https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-06-30-real-salt-lake-vs-orlando-city-sc/details/video/109072

And I suspect he'll likely play tomorrow night as well. And this is a player that isn't playing with us because he's supposedly too injured. That doesn't sit well with me.

Agreed.

At the same, I should add that not everyone is going to prioritize their national team over club football every time.

6 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Then why is he not there, he is injured but yet is playing for Orlando, an I missing something here, he pulled this same stunt before.

It is clear you are.

Will Johnson is skipping the group stage as an injury precaution. That doesn't mean he can't play with his club in the meantime. 

I don't understand why so many people have difficulty with this.

If you are carrying a niggling injury, it is perfectly reasonable to opt out of the group stage and remain with your club. 

Orlando have 2 games while Canada has 3 in the same time frame. 

If Will Johnson, who has suffered two horrific injuries in the past, does not want to push himself by playing more than he believes he can handle, then I respect that.

I definitely don't question his heart. 

Edited by Obinna

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It is clear you are.

Will Johnson is skipping the group stage as an injury precaution. That doesn't mean he can't play with his club in the meantime. 

I don't understand why so many people have difficulty with this.

If you are carrying a niggling injury, it is perfectly reasonable to opt out of the group stage and remain with your club. 

Orlando have 2 games while Canada has 3 in the same time frame. 

If Will Johnson, who has suffered two horrific injuries in the past, does not want to push himself by playing more than he believes he can handle, then I respect that.

I definitely don't question his heart. 

Or he could just have not played in the Costa Rica game.

At this stage Will Johnson deserves a break from us.  This is a guy who has been a part of our program since he was a teenager. And lets not forget he delivered a MOTM performance in a crucial WCQ win.  He has paid his dues. 

We have 2 Gold Cups in this WCQ cycle and this is the least important of the 2.  Arfield and Bernier provide us plenty of veteran leadership in the midfield.  Johnson's absence will allow Piette, Teibert, Oso to get some minutes.  No harm no foul.  

Anyway, we have to start looking for replacements for Johnson, Ricketts, Haber, Jakovic, Ledgerwood etc.  We can't call up all the veterans for every camp.  His absence is a total non issue for me.  

45 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Or he could just have not played in the Costa Rica game.

We both know that is not in his nature. If he is making himself available he is going to want to be involved, not sit on the sidelines. If he is joining Canada to sit on the sidelines, he might as well stay with Orlando. 

Edited by Obinna

42 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

We have 2 Gold Cups in this WCQ cycle and this is the least important of the 2.

I keep seeing people post this, but I can't agree with it. This Gold Cup is just as "important" as 2019, as the winner of each gets a spot in the CONCACAF Cup to determine who goes on to the Confederations Cup.

In fact, I'd argue that this one is a bigger deal for Canada because some of the elite CONCACAF teams are sending B squads, making it slightly easier to win. 

9 minutes ago, RS said:

I keep seeing people post this, but I can't agree with it. This Gold Cup is just as "important" as 2019, as the winner of each gets a spot in the CONCACAF Cup to determine who goes on to the Confederations Cup.

In fact, I'd argue that this one is a bigger deal for Canada because some of the elite CONCACAF teams are sending B squads, making it slightly easier to win. 

That is one way to look at it and I do somewhat agree. To play devil's advocate though, one could suggest that the 2019 GC is more important on the grounds that WCQ would have been started and thus rendering those GC games as more important as far as our preparation for qualification goes.

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, RS said:

which in turn boosts our fifa ranking giving us an easier qualifying group in the next wcq cycle

Id like to win Gold Cups but realistically, I see the main value of Gold Cup as prep for WCQ.  The only decent competitive prep we are likely to get.  With this one we can afford to experiment, and it seems like we are doing that a bit.  The next one I would hope we have our WCQ team set and firing on all cylinders

I see a couple people have already pointed it out, but this is the more important Gold Cup. The rankings used for the World Cup qualification draw will include the results from this Gold Cup, but not the 2019 Gold Cup. If we do well in this Gold Cup maybe we won't be ranked 15th in CONCACAF for the next World Cup draw and get a more favourable path to the hex.

I was thinking about how this Gold Cup could affect our ranking earlier this morning. Obviously doing very, very well would have a great positive impact on our ranking. However, I realized that a modest improvement over recent Gold Cup results could hurt our ranking. The case I'm thinking of is that we beat French Guiana, who is not a FIFA member so we get no ranking points for that win, then lose to Costa Rica and Honduras, but move on as a third place finisher. Then we meet Mexico or USA in the quarterfinals and lose that match. We'd end up with 3 FIFA losses and 0 wins/draws, whereas if we lost or drew French Guiana, we would only have 2 FIFA losses and 0 wins/draws.

The fact that non-fifa countries are allowed in this tournament is just ridiculous... our FIFA ranking is most likely going to get worse after this tournament as a result of this unless we step up and beat two teams in the top 4 of CONCACAF...

They need to change this there are more than enough good teams that are part of FIFA that didn't qualify over Martinique and French Guinea... Trinidad, Haiti, Cuba, Guyana, Grenada, Guatemala

45 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

The fact that non-fifa countries are allowed in this tournament is just ridiculous... our FIFA ranking is most likely going to get worse after this tournament as a result of this unless we step up and beat two teams in the top 4 of CONCACAF...

They need to change this there are more than enough good teams that are part of FIFA that didn't qualify over Martinique and French Guinea... Trinidad, Haiti, Cuba, Guyana, Grenada, Guatemala

Even if they still allowed these non-FIFA nations in qualifying, but changed qualifying to be region wide, rather than using the Central American championships and the Caribbean championships to determine qualifying, I would think that would reduce the frequency of non-FIFA nations qualifying.

I'm upset by what Will Johnson decided to do. He told Zambrano he wanted to heal a knee injury, well of that we're the case he would have already sit out a few games for Orlando City but no he's playing! What the hell? Least thing he could have done is be honest and said "I'm not really feeling it". Done deal but don't lie about it