Tosaint Ricketts

Obinna

Playing with the wind allowed them to play a few long balls for him to chase.  In the first half everything went along the ground through the left side (Millar).  After halftime the ball got on the other side of the pitch and Rickets got to use his speed a bit and Millar was a little less involved.    Still a great strike, reminds me of one he scored for TFC right after he came in, sort of a jump strike where he hit bouncing ball right at the apex and hammered it home.  I still think he has a big role with the CMNT, so much speed, so different from the rest of the striking corps.  I'm still not sure Haber is done either, he brings a different skill set in, so good in the air.  Cav, Larin, AJH can fight it out for starts with Rickets and Haber coming to play their roles.

6 hours ago, dsqpr said:

With that goal against New Zealand, Ricketts now has 16 goals for Canada in 58 matches: which works out to a strike rate of 0.28 goals per match.

By way of comparison, Larin currently has 5 goals in 24 matches, a strike rate of 0.21 goals per match.

Source: wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosaint_Ricketts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyle_Larin

Dwayne De Rosario's all-time record of 22 goals from 81 matches works out to 0.27 goals per match. Given how many of Ricketts' appearances have come off the bench, and how many of De Ro's goals were penalties, Tosaint's Canada scoring numbers look even better.

Edited by jonovision

4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Number of goals scored by Ricketts in the 3rd round of WCQ: 

2015-2016 = Zero

2012 = 1 (at home vs. an already eliminated Cuba)

This is the only stat that matters.  Everything else is bullshit.

Yep this.. I love that he scores don’t get me wrong but there’s no denying that when he faces any team above the level of Mauritania he looks severely out of his depth and his speed is nullified.  Can anyone recall a time he had a good performance against a good opponent?  Toss him on late but expecting to have him be productive against good sides is a dream. 

24 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Number of goals scored by Ricketts in the 3rd round of WCQ: 

2015-2016 = Zero

2012 = 1 (at home vs. an already eliminated Cuba)

This is the only stat that matters.  Everything else is bullshit.

Third round of 2018 World Cup qualifying was a home and away vs Belize. Ricketts got 2, Hutch 1 and Johnson 1. I assume you meant 4th round in 2018 qualifiers? In that Larin got 2, Edgar, Ledgerwood and James all got 1. I don't think you can criticise Rickett's alone when most of our goals were scored by Defenders. 

In the third round of 2014 qualification each of Ricketts, Johnson, Edgar, DeRo, Hume and Occean had 1 goal. 

Ricketts has continually been at the top of Canada's scoring charts during World Cup qualification. You can't blame him alone if Canada does not score a lot of goals in World Cup qualifiers and you can't blame him if he finishes in games he is supposed to score in. 

Edited by Ruffian

11 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Ricketts has continually been at the top of Canada's scoring charts during World Cup qualification. You can't blame him alone if Canada does not score a lot of goals in World Cup qualifiers and you can't blame him if he finishes in games he is supposed to score in. 

Since 2014 Ricketts has scored 11 International goals (let me know if I missed any): 

1 in a friendly in a 1-1 tie in a with Moldova.

1 in a friendly in a 3-1 win over Jamaica's B squad.

1 in a friendly in a 3-0 win over Puerto Rico.

2 in a WCQ victory over mighty Dominica.

2 in a WCQ win over mighty Belize.

2 in a friendly in a 4-0 win over Mauritania.

1 in a friendly in A 4-2 win over mighty Bermuda.

1 in a friendly in a 1-0 win over New Zealand's B team.

No goals in that time in the Gold Cup or 4th round of WCQ.  No goals against any of the level of teams we are going to have to beat to make the hex, except for 2 B teams.

You're right, you can only score in the games you play.  And managers are not going to give Ricketts more than super-sub minutes against quality teams.  So I suppose we'll never know.  If you want to call Ricketts the greatest scorer in Canadian history I can't really prove you wrong and you can't prove yourself right.  Maybe he would have scored goals for fun against Honduras and Mexico with more minutes.  Personally I never thought he looked very dangerous once the competition ramped up a level.

I'm a big Ricketts fan and very happy to see him score on Saturday.  It would never bother me to see him called up for any game.  But when we call our best 18 he wouldn't be one of my personal choices.  Cavallini, Jackson-Hamel, Larin, Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett, Davies, Osorio, Piette, and now Wotherspoon and Millar are all guys I'd call ahead of him.  Add in 5-6 defenders and 3 keepers and that already puts you at 19-20 players. 

33 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Third round of 2018 World Cup qualifying was a home and away vs Belize. Ricketts got 2, Hutch 1 and Johnson 1. I assume you meant 4th round in 2018 qualifiers? In that Larin got 2, Edgar, Ledgerwood and James all got 1. I don't think you can criticise Rickett's alone when most of our goals were scored by Defenders. 

In the third round of 2014 qualification each of Ricketts, Johnson, Edgar, DeRo, Hume and Occean had 1 goal. 

I don't think we should blame players for scoring against minnows when they are supposed to, but I think fans needs to put goalscoring stats into perspective. Looking at opponents and the context of the game is very important IMHO. GC and WCQ are way more important than friendlies.

I don't give the same value to a hat trick scored in a 7-0 win against Dominica and one goal scored away in Honduras or Costa Rica.

BTW, our record when Ricketts scores at least one goal for us: 11 wins 0 loss and 2 ties.

Edited by aloyol

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Since 2014 Ricketts has scored 11 International goals (let me know if I missed any): 

No goals in that time in the Gold Cup or 4th round of WCQ.  No goals against any of the level of teams we are going to have to beat to make the hex, except for 2 B teams.

You're right, you can only score in the games you play.  And managers are not going to give Ricketts more than super-sub minutes against quality teams.  So I suppose we'll never know.  If you want to call Ricketts the greatest scorer in Canadian history I can't really prove you wrong and you can't prove yourself right.  Maybe he would have scored goals for fun against Honduras and Mexico with more minutes.  Personally I never thought he looked very dangerous once the competition ramped up a level.

I'm a big Ricketts fan and very happy to see him score on Saturday.  It would never bother me to see him called up for any game.  But when we call our best 18 he wouldn't be one of my personal choices.  Cavallini, Jackson-Hamel, Larin, Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett, Davies, Osorio, Piette, and now Wotherspoon and Millar are all guys I'd call ahead of him.  Add in 5-6 defenders and 3 keepers and that already puts you at 19-20 players. 

How many others have scored 11 goals since 2014?  Granted its a low bar, but those are the facts.  I would agree that the future looks more promising, but it always does.  Until Ricketts stops scoring, he deserves a place on the 18.

2 hours ago, aloyol said:

I don't think we should blame players for scoring against minnows when they are supposed to, but I think fans needs to put goalscoring stats into perspective. Looking at opponents and the context of the game is very important IMHO. GC and WCQ are way more important than friendlies.

I don't give the same value to a hat trick scored in a 7-0 win against Dominica and one goal scored away in Honduras or Costa Rica.

BTW, our record when Ricketts scores at least one goal for us: 11 wins 0 loss and 2 ties.

And let's not put ourselves on a pedestal.  Our record against "mighty" Mauritania is 1W, 1D and 1L .  

Ricketts has a good goal scoring record for Canada despite playing mostly not as a striker

Ricketts has a bad goal scoring record against big teams and big matches. Guess what? So does literally every other Canadian goal scorer of the last 20 years with the possible exception of Ali Gerba (6 GC goals, 6 WCQ goals, including 2 in group stage vs Mexico). This is because we're bad and we don't score enough goals in big games.

Lots of guys like Friend and Larin didn't or don't seem to score goals in non-big games either. Until someone else proves themselves reliable we can't leave Ricketts out of the squad.

Edited by jonovision

12 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

The fact that we are discussing whether picking a guy who racks up goals against the minnows is better than picking one who scores a lower amount against top competitors shows the inconsistency that we have had up front for a long time.  A good striker should do both.

Well the only one who has done both is Larin and everyone knows he’s washed up and finished. 

4 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Full playing record for Canada here:

https://canadasoccer.com/?t=roster_test&pid=2703

And of course you can look up all our other players there too.

I have never understood the tendancy to shit on Ricketts.  Despite not being a striker, and often being subbed into games, he is tied for our fourth all-time in goals scored.  

Yeah, but many were against minnows.

NEWSFLASH: we are a fucking minnow in most people's eyes.  You think CONCACAF hex regulars tremble at the thought of playing a team that hasn't made the last round of WCQ in decades?

And for the record, every one of our guys padded stats against minnows.  DeRo, Mitchell, Bunbury, etc - they all have cheap goals against guys who are part time footy players and full time plumbers.  Every one of them.

Yeah, Ricketts can be frustrating, but he is fast, can play a role for us, and has scored more goals than any other active player.  For a team that often can't put the goddamned ball in the net, it is hilarious that people feel entitled to dismiss him.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ricketts only gets hated on because he has a reputation (around here) for not being comfortable with the ball at his feet.

The ironic thing is he looks more comfortable now than at any time in his career - yet he still does not get the respect he deserves.

More effective than Larin, that`s for sure.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ricketts only gets hated on because he has a reputation (around here) for not being comfortable with the ball at his feet.

The ironic thing is he looks quite comfortable with the ball in the back of the opposition's net.

Added another point to your post. :D

Oh darn, just remembered that goals don't count unless they are scored against Brazil. Sigh.

Edited by dsqpr

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, Ricketts can be frustrating, but he is fast, can play a role for us, and has scored more goals than any other active player.  For a team that often can't put the goddamned ball in the net, it is hilarious that people feel entitled to dismiss him.

I haven't seen too many people hate on him.  Personally I love him even though I sometimes find him frustrating to watch.  No one can question his goal scoring record and I happen to think he's a very intelligent player.  He's just not very comfortable with the ball at his feet in tight spaces.

I don't think it's knocking his scoring record to say I don't consider him in the same class as DeRo and Radz and Hutch and even Bunbury (though I was a little young to remember Bunbury well). But he's been a fantastic asset for our team.  He also tracks back and contributes in other ways so it's more than just his scoring.

I also don't think it's knocking his scoring record to say our player pool has improved and he might find it hard to crack the 18 going forward.  That just means the team is getting better.  Just in the last few years Arfield and Wotherspoon have come over, Davies has emerged, Jackson-Hamel has emerged,  Cavallini has come back into the fold, and now it appears Millar is emerging.  

The Americans are constantly arguing about who should be in their squad (and hating on Bradley and Altidore) because they have so many options these days.  We're getting some options too so there will and should be some good arguments about who gets in, with no disrespect intended to those left out.

Coming from a guy that used to shit on Ricketts I get it.  5-6 years ago when I started lurking on this board, the complaining was about Bekker and Ricketts.  I couldnt understand why Simpson/Issey didnt always play before him.  But then Simpson got injured, ISSEY got older and Rickets just kept scoring.  And scoring again, even when the rest of the game he wasted chances and couldnt hit the broad side of the barn.  He has always had a poacher instinct and used his speed well, but you can see over the last 4-5 years he can regularly hit the target with a half volley and knock a crossing ball into the net instead of 20 rows into the stands.  You take the good with the bad and he has given the national team goals when we needed them.  But he wasnt like he is now right off the bat. 

Which is why I dont understand the shitting on Larin.  Larin is almost 23, with 5 CMNT goals and a similar rep for wasting chances (not deserved in my opinion).  Rickets didnt even play his first mens game until he was 24.  If Larin with this CNL can bang in 2-3 goals a year for the next cycle he'll damn near be past Gerba and Bunbury at still only be 26-27years old.  And same can be said for AJH (3 goals in 9 games, 24 years old).  If Davies, Millar et al turn out the way we hope, there could be alot of goals scored in the future and we'll see a bunch of scoring records get broken.