Tosaint Ricketts

Obinna

Well if he really is the real deal then he will prove it maybe first in the NASL and then MLS let's hope for his sake and Canada's sake. It's funny we have seen this before with some of these Canadian players playing here and playing there in these leagues in Europe  never really getting a grasp of how good they really are because we can't really see them play or even really get an accurate understanding of how good the leagues they play in are, however, we have seen some of these players come back and play in the MLS and some even in the NASL and not really cutting it and some like the famous TFC player Marco Reda  who had played at a supposedly high level in Norway and who was even named player of the year for his club team Sogndal playing like 70 games for them in Norway's top league and even played  in the Danish top league, he came back and played in the MLS for TFC and was probably one of the worst center backs TFC has ever , sorry Marco , had and they  have had many bad ones lol.

Edited by 1996

13 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Hopefully there is an MLS team that has room for a pacey wing off the bench with no touch or finishing skills. Have to feel bad for tosaint getting burned twice now.

Almost every team is always looking out for pacy wingers.  There's a shortage of them  and its hard to find quality wingers for under 150k.

Except Ricketts can't cross. not much of a winger.

There will always be a job for a sprinter like Ricketts (see Dominic Oduro), but no team is going to pay him or use him a lot. If he can stick with an MLS team, that's cool. 

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Almost every team is always looking out for pacy wingers.  There's a shortage of them  and its hard to find quality wingers for under 150k.

Hope you're right. It would likely need to be a Canadian team seeing as I doubt a US team would use international slot on him. I don't see a fit for him on Vancouver or Montreal really. Toronto maybe?

It's funny Domenic Oduro is brought up because the guy is turning out to be a pretty useful player in the MLS he has even been scoring some nice goals the past few seasons. Moreover, in terms of the American teams not wanted to waist an international spot on a Canadian, why not I ask it's not like every international spot is used on a star type player if they think a Canadian is the right fit then they will use an international spot on him.

Edited by 1996

Just now, shermanator said:

That's a ridiculous thing to hope for. 

I know. I gave into my demons and just really want Arfield to start over Ricketts.

6 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I feel guilty as when i opened this thread i was hoping he was injured (which means he would for sure not start over Arfield)

That's not a good thing to hope for.  Ricketts has been our only consistent goal scorer for a few years and he always answers the call and represents us.  We should be all rootin for him and not against him.  He's a big piece of our program and doesn't deserve the backhanded comments he gets.

8 hours ago, 1996 said:

I think the best for Ricketts is to play in the NASL or even the USL do well there  and if he does and proves himself there I'm sure one of the Canadian teams in the MLS might come calling or even an American MLS team.

I don't disagree with NASL, not because I don't think MLS isn't good enough for him. We all know how are the rules in MLS to make things harder for Canadians, even with the Canadians clubs. As for the USL, I don't think it's a league for him as Ricketts is already a proven professional.

7 hours ago, Yohan said:

Except Ricketts can't cross. not much of a winger.

There will always be a job for a sprinter like Ricketts (see Dominic Oduro), but no team is going to pay him or use him a lot. If he can stick with an MLS team, that's cool. 

The thing with Ricketts is that he doesn't cross because he finds himself often in the box. His problem is his finishing touch, also, there were a few occasions where he could could have passed the ball to a teammate instead of trying to score.

Pace is important for a defender but knowing how to play the position is crucial...I'd expect the Mexicans to eat him alive. I don't think any of our defenders have great pace unfortunately. On the other hand, maybe someone should try to make Ricketts a defender, I don't see his career lasting much longer in his current position.

36 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Molinaro says that TFC is interested in Ricketts and that he trained at their Downsview facility.

I'm not surprised. TFC doesn't have depth out wide and up top behind their two DP's. 

Right back, wing, striker. Utility players are useful in a cap league

Just as long as no one expects a decent cross

Edited by Complete Homer

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Molinaro says that TFC is interested in Ricketts and that he trained at their Downsview facility.

I'm not surprised. TFC doesn't have depth out wide and up top behind their two DP's. 

He'll fit right in. Always seems like TFC is the "hot"bed for the CSA and Ricketts can later position himself into the alumni old boys club. 

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to come into one of the 2 NASL teams for half a season like Dejong, stay match fit etc..and then right back to Europe for another kick at the can?

He's been at a much lower level than De Jong and I don't believe he has an EU passport, Canada is a far better bet for extending his career

Would be fantastic if Toronto signs him. I don't think there is a Canadian international who gets more hate than him. I would personally start Akindele over him however Ricketts has had a decent career.

- while playing for Bucsapor in the Turkish second division scored 7 goals one season

- admittedly many of his international goals are against minnows, he has scored against Jamaica, T&T, Ecuador. These are the calibre teams we need to compete with in the hex and aren't minnows

11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Would be fantastic if Toronto signs him. I don't think there is a Canadian international who gets more hate than him. I would personally start Akindele over him however Ricketts has had a decent career.

- while playing for Bucsapor in the Turkish second division scored 7 goals one season

- admittedly many of his international goals are against minnows, he has scored against Jamaica, T&T, Ecuador. These are the calibre teams we need to compete with in the hex and aren't minnows

He is also the leading active Canadian goalscorer for the national team.

On Wiki it says his only youth experience was in college. It makes no mention of being in a youth club at all prior. I know you can't trust it completely, but does anyone know if Ricketts plays youth ball anywhere before college? If he didn't that would explain a lot.