Alyson Walker

scooterlawrence5

Strongly suggests that she found out something about the CSA's governance and/or finances at the last minute that she wanted no part of moving forward. Definitely not a good sign that there's a viable way out of the current crisis because she is walking away from a 2026 co-host that should under normal circumstances look huge on her resume.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is there any significance to her announcing this on the very day she was meant to start?

The significance is that there is probably a ton of baseless speculation in this thread.

I doubt she actually even started the job and looked anything over like people in this thread want us to believe. 

47 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If there is a real health issue (can’t assume anything else at this point), I will never condemn anyone for having a change of heart.  

Imagine if any of us found out that we had just been diagnosed with cancer (for example) and the fans said: “screw it, you have to continue on”, you know what we would tell the fans…

Nobody is saying that. Anybody with half a brain could empathize with someone having a legitimate health issue to suddenly step away like this. We're all just meme'ing at the fact that this is Canada Soccer we're dealing with and of course something like this would happen to this shitshow of a federation.

In the year 2024

"You're going to have to be at the office at least 3 days a week"

"ok I quit"

I dont know what's going on here like everyone else and I oddly don't care but just saying 

I actually saw all this action and thought we had a new dual national with the US named Alyson Walker

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

In the year 2024

"You're going to have to be at the office at least 3 days a week"

"ok I quit"

I dont know what's going on here like everyone else and I oddly don't care but just saying 

I actually saw all this action and thought we had a new dual national with the US named Alyson Walker

This was exactly what I thought. Then my second thought was that Alyson must be another one of those British dual sex names I hadn't heard of, like Ashley. 

28 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Nobody is saying that. Anybody with half a brain could empathize with someone having a legitimate health issue to suddenly step away like this. We're all just meme'ing at the fact that this is Canada Soccer we're dealing with and of course something like this would happen to this shitshow of a federation.

No problem with that.  And yes, sometimes you make your own luck (good or bad).

Hope she's ok!

Silver lining for us / CSA: We're not starting from square one. We got far enough along in the process to hire someone not long ago, will hopefully be a quick review of candidates who had been shortlisted, and finalizing the process again. Hopefully.

Might have even already started that process if they were given a bit of heads up this was coming in the hopes that they would be able to announce someone at the same time as her resignation, hence the official announcement coming on the day she was slated to start.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Strongly suggests that she found out something about the CSA's governance and/or finances at the last minute that she wanted no part of moving forward. Definitely not a good sign that there's a viable way out of the current crisis because she is walking away from a 2026 co-host that should under normal circumstances look huge on her resume.

Possible for sure, but we don't know.

56 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This was exactly what I thought. Then my second thought was that Alyson must be another one of those British dual sex names I hadn't heard of, like Ashley. 

Yeah, if it was Alyson Jones-Walker I would have been charged. Now that sounds like a proper full back. I'm really hoping he breaks in to the Fulham first team this year

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The significance is that there is probably a ton of baseless speculation in this thread.

I doubt she actually even started the job and looked anything over like people in this thread want us to believe. 

No, I doubt it has to do with her realizing “how big this mess is” (remember, the bigger the mess, the more a careerist can make themselves appear useful!), just wondering why she chose today to announce it, unless she really let this sit until the last minute 

My speculation is as pointless as everyone else's speculation, but "health issue" could be an honest and discrete way of saying that she's leaving because of the overwhelming stress of realizing that whomever takes this job is set up to fail because the CSA is a corrupt disaster. 

Edited by canadave

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think they should find a new CanMNT manager first now before filling this position. That is way more important in the grand scheme of things 

Coaching job has been filled since August...lol

This one I did not see coming. What a mess

Oh Canada soccer. Even by their own standards this is impressive. Also not necessarily their fault and we will likely not know. Hope Walker is OK.

We are at the pinnacle of innovation when it comes to ineptitude though. They never fail to find ways to break new ground. So hard to be a fan of the game here lol

We are an absolute shambles. From a Canadian supporters pov we are a complete embarrassment on the world stage. From the rest of the world's perspective trees fall but no one was around to notice or care. Still hurts.

The Athletic article has an update, this part in particular caught my attention:

Multiple sources briefed on the organization’s decision-making said the decision to appoint Biello for the match against Trinidad and Tobago came quickly after Canada Soccer learned Walker would be stepping down from her position. Sources said Canada Soccer president Charmaine Crooks made the decision and that some board members were not briefed on it beforehand.

So apparently Walker did inform the CSA of this before today, which makes this better than I first thought, though the way this was all announced (by Walker on LinkedIn the day she was supposed to start?) is still very odd to me.

I have to admit that I am still quite cynical on the actual reason for the resignation (or non-starting, as it were)... 

1 hour ago, canadave said:

My speculation is as pointless as everyone else's speculation, but "health issue" could be an honest and discrete way of saying that she's leaving because of the overwhelming stress of realizing that whomever takes this job is set up to fail because the CSA is a corrupt disaster. 

Or a just massive headache, from the shit show.  I kid.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

So if I have the timeline correct….

Sharman posts that tweet… source is most likely Walker’s LinkedIN…

After it works its way through social media… then Canada Soccer releases a statement? 

Hope it is nothing serious but Geeze… Health issue, vast majority of people would understand. But you get ahead of it, make a statement and say the search continues. 

The way this unfolded just screams amateur hour. Disappointing in the CSA, not the fact a rumoured health issue is the cause. 

49 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Oh Canada soccer. Even by their own standards this is impressive. Also not necessarily their fault and we will likely not know. Hope Walker is OK.

We are at the pinnacle of innovation when it comes to ineptitude though. They never fail to find ways to break new ground. So hard to be a fan of the game here lol

We are an absolute shambles. From a Canadian supporters pov we are a complete embarrassment on the world stage. From the rest of the world's perspective trees fall but no one was around to notice or care. Still hurts.

This should be the OP for a pinned thread specifically dedicated to Canadian Soccer failures. 

I think it is time to pressure Crooks. I gave her a huge benefit of the doubt, but she can't be like this, dawdling. I was bothered the women said she was a Bontis person, old wood, dead wood, but now I wonder if maybe they were right. 

Most countries lose a coach and have another in place in a few weeks, maximum. 

In the absence of any real information, this is either because:

- she is ill and is prioritizing her health 

- she learned more about role and the organization and wanted to distance herself from it

- the CSB strongarmed her into leaving because they are essentially the Canadian footy mafia

Depending on your personal biases and post history, feel free to assume any one of these scenarios and lose your shit over it.