Alyson Walker

scooterlawrence5

9 minutes ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

So Walker doesn't start until Jan22/24. I sure hope the  search for a new coach will commence before that date if it hasn't already started, otherwise we've blown another month.

25 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

So Walker doesn't start until Jan22/24. I sure hope the  search for a new coach will commence before that date if it hasn't already started, otherwise we've blown another month.

How much did we pay Korn Ferry to find Walker?

Jan 22nd? Just in time for us to not have a Camp Poutine! (Probably)

I'll be honest, I don't know what the role of General Secretary here is supposed to be (not necessarily saying it's confusing, I just don't know enough about these things). Walker appears to have a marketing/branding/commercial background. The federation needs money, sponsorships, etc., I don't think anyone disagrees with that so if she can deliver there then that's great, but is that the main role of the GS? I imagined it more akin to like "President of Soccer Operations/General Manager" type role. Is she expected to lead the search and decision-making process on the new men's head coach?

EDIT: here's the job posting which speaks directly to what I was wondering about: General Secretary Canada Soccer - Canada Soccer

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

..... Walker appears to have a marketing/branding/commercial background. The federation needs money, sponsorships, etc., I don't think anyone disagrees with that so if she can deliver there then that's great.....

That was my first reaction as well, but doesn't Corp sponsorships go to CSB?

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

No. Clearly and MLSE and Bell stooge. 

But that's a bonus point of the hire. 

More the sort of hire you feel compelled to make after you have been read the Riot Act in Ottawa by federal politicians where gender equity issues are concerned. In the absence of that they probably would have hired someone like Dino Rossi for this role. The last extensive global search they conducted came up with Earl Cochrane after all, who was ex-MLSE but from further back in much the same sort of way Paul Beirne was.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

11 hours ago, Kadenge said:

That was my first reaction as well, but doesn't Corp sponsorships go to CSB?

Where the CMNT and CWNT are concerned, but maybe they are hoping they can engineer a way to work around that? I am not sure to what extent the amateur soccer player registration side of their operations ties into the CSB deal, for example. Worth bearing in mind that national team players are able to use control over image rights and personal endorsement deals to do their own thing separate from CSB. If the CSA want to find ways do something similar at this point, they appear to have hired someone with the necessary skills set.

^^^it's normally better not to engage where this guy is concerned but this is frankly ludicrous. Not being keen on the effect the CSB deal is having on the national team programs financially and thinking CanPL would be better served with a different economic model that emphasizes midsized markets like Halifax and working cooperatively with rather than at cross-purposes to MLS does not equate to hatred of it.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^it's normally better not to engage where this guy is concerned but this is frankly ludicrous. Not being keen on the effect the CSB deal is having on the national team programs financially and thinking CanPL would be better served with a different economic model that emphasizes midsized markets like Halifax and working cooperatively with rather than at cross-purposes to MLS does not equate to hatred of it.

You hated CPL and strongly rallied against it long before concerns about the CSB deal were raised.

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Actually...in your case...it really seems to. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

different economic model that emphasizes midsized markets like Halifax and working cooperatively with rather than at cross-purposes to MLS does not equate to hatred of it.

Let me guess... riding buses and keeping it regional. I also recall CPL wanting to have a good relation with the 3 clubs but you're just mad they wouldn't submit and be their lapdogs.

Happy to clarify it for you

21 hours ago, Aird25 said:

You hated CPL and strongly rallied against it long before concerns about the CSB deal were raised.

An absolute bald faced lie. What I did was explain why the relatively high budget approach that was being described in the Hamilton Spectator and on podcasts and in blogs at that point was unlikely to work and suggested alternative strategies they could follow instead so there would be something in place that actually would work sustainably.

They dowscaled in a big way once they saw the membership numbers they were attracting in 2018 but that hasn't stopped FCE folding and the Baldassarras walking away. What's in place now is still unlikely to be sustainable once 2026 and the associated jackpot payday for CSB courtesy of Victor Montagliani is in the rear view mirror.

I'd like to see them make further changes precisely because I don't hate the league and would like to see it still be around permanently rather than until a couple more individuals from amongst a tiny handful of pivotal investors no longer see it as their ingenious long term investment play and get tired of losing money on it.

I Like the league.  Just not the cross country scale, the teams, the names, the owners, the CSB, Bob Young, Rossi or anyone else in management past or present, the stadiums, locations, branding, marketing, One soccer/TV deal,  basically everything except Halifax.   And I like to post negatively about almost every piece of news that comes down the pipe, throw shade on any half assed good news as being fake, rant about "papering the house" and "pet vanity projects" and hate on Bob Young like he murdered my brother and or my family pet.  If they would just make a few changes, mb they could give up all these silly ambitious ideas and morph into a regional bus league centered on where I live (even though I dont go to games), and if they could possibly work on including reserve MLS squads (we need to help prop up that american league or it might fail) and get into the warm embrace of the USSL, drop CDN quotas (the players need to earn it!!), we dont need this blind nationalism the usual suspects push. 

I also like ice cream, but I complain endlessly that its not dough with tomato sauce, cheese, pepporoni baked in a oven.  

Does she get to set the direction at this point on the basis of her post as general secretary?

In Kevan Pipe's day that appeared to be the case, but after he was ousted because people inside the CSA bubble were not happy with what the emergence of MLS was doing to their role within the sport and with some of the details of the deal he had negotiated with MLSE to secure the stadium for the 2007 U20 Would Cup it was the President's post that appeared to be setting the agenda.

That effective control by one individual with little or no oversight being exercised by the board of elected execs who were supposed to be able to apply the brakes brought us to where we are today with the CSB deal, so it's not impossible she will courtesy of pressure from Ottawa and threats of losing access to federal funding but it's definitely not a given.

Re salary for GS,  Don Boyle the CEO of exhibition place in Toronto, which includes BMO field, Budweiser stage, Medieval Times, Queen Elizabeth theater,Coca Cola Coliseum where the Marlies play & Heritage convention centre was paid $335K in 2022. He has a large team under him. Schulich Business School grad. I doubt Walker was making as much at her previous job.  I wonder what Mark Noonan gets paid.

• 4 weeks later...