General MLS Talk 2024

Big_M

49 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They've literally been 5 times without that being an issue.

All I can tell you is what I heard from an NHLers mouth: exemptions are/were a thing and an issue.  Take that as you will, i'm just saying what i heard from an ex-senator.

5 hours ago, costarg said:

All I can tell you is what I heard from an NHLers mouth: exemptions are/were a thing and an issue.  Take that as you will, i'm just saying what i heard from an ex-senator.

Pretty dumb of the players to collectively bargain for (and concede on other issues) for something they don't want to do then.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Pretty dumb of the players to collectively bargain for (and concede on other issues) for something they don't want to do then.

I won't judge if it's dumb or intelligent.  We know lots of NHLers would love to play the Olympics, however others and the NHL have a lot to lose.  Like I said, it isn't my opinion, it's just what I've been told by someone in the milieu.  The concern wasn't necessarily PEDs, more along the lines of uppers and downers.  Pain-killers to help with the pain and gruelling schedule, uppers to counter the downers effect.  Sad.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

I won't judge if it's dumb or intelligent.  We know lots of NHLers would love to play the Olympics, however others and the NHL have a lot to lose.  Like I said, it isn't my opinion, it's just what I've been told by someone in the milieu.  The concern wasn't necessarily PEDs, more along the lines of uppers and downers.  Pain-killers to help with the pain and gruelling schedule, uppers to counter the downers effect.  Sad.

Oh I'm sure a ton of them would absolutely fail any weed test. But all of this has been the case with every previous Olympics. I just don't think this is why they're not going. It's an NHL business decision (ie they gain little from it) and not much more.

Consixdei

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Luis Suarez to Inter Miami confirmed today

Considering Inter have mostly younger strikers up high, and no real clear starter to partner Messi, it could make sense. If Suárez is staying healthy, then it could be deadly even.

In any case, Messi and Suárez are extremely close, their wives are intimate, in fact the personal relationships of the wives and kids of Alba, Busquets and the others is a big factor, it gives them cohesion at the club and means they walk in very comfortably from day one, as seen with the others.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Consixdei

Considering Inter have mostly younger strikers up high, and no real clear starter to partner Messi, it could make sense. If Suárez is staying healthy, then it could be deadly even.

In any case, Messi and Suárez are extremely close, their wives are intimate, in fact the personal relationships of the wives and kids of Alba, Busquets and the others is a big factor, it gives them cohesion at the club and means they walk in very comfortably from day one, as seen with the others.

Isn't that illegal in Florida, now?

On 12/22/2023 at 7:52 PM, SthMelbRed said:

Isn't that illegal in Florida, now?

I think that's a bit of nasty stereotype you're pushing. I'm 100% certain you could go to Florida and have have all the gay sex you like a nobody would be the least bit bothered by it

In fact, I always thought that was the Florida stereotype. People not bothered by all sorts of sex. Even at the retirement home

Edited by SpursFlu

Under Florida governor DeSantis the state has moved further right wing and signed multiple anti LGBT rights bills.

He was attempting to replace Trump for a presidential bid, but that seems to be a long shot. 

But I'm getting off topic and I am not that well informed on Florida politics and LGBT laws in USA or Canada for that matter.....

I can't either confirm or deny that it is illegal to have intimate relationship with both the wives of Messi and Saurez at the same time...

Edited by fil

14 hours ago, fil said:

But I'm getting off topic and I am not that well informed on Florida politics and LGBT laws in USA or Canada for that matter.....

I can't either confirm or deny that it is illegal to have intimate relationship with both the wives of Messi and Saurez at the same time...

I think I would have to take my chances…

On 12/23/2023 at 7:08 PM, fil said:

8ab58o.jpg

... considering using NSFW memes.

In case your wondering what they look like...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLd7xqidwVI5c8cgRTtZY

9bedeec9dcbbe64ce2fafbc80e4fba71.jpg

Suarez's wife is really the person that saves his career, it's complicated but him being so screwed up psychologically she played a huge role. She's from a rather well-off family while he was dirt poor doing menial jobs and training u16 when they met early teens.

She went out with him apparently against her family's will.

Then she moved to Spain young to study, lived near Barcelona, so when he came to Barça she was already settled here. 

Anyways, it's a sign of very upright Canadians if you say two women are intimate and the nudge nudge wink wink goes off the charts.

On 12/25/2023 at 6:43 AM, SpursFlu said:

I think that's a bit of nasty stereotype you're pushing. I'm 100% certain you could go to Florida and have have all the gay sex you like a nobody would be the least bit bothered by it

In fact, I always thought that was the Florida stereotype. People not bothered by all sorts of sex. Even at the retirement home

Yeah. Fancy making a joke that straddles politics, current affairs, linguistic nuance, and football and expecting certain people to actually get it. Shame on me. 🙄

Generally using the word "intimate" is seen as a romantic term in my area. I would of used the words devoted friends instead.

Most Canadians have little or no interest in the wives of athletes. It's not that common to speak of them. I can't remember anyone mentioning Bradley's wife. For all I know he might have a husband instead. And it's none of my business anyway, whatever. Their was some minor talk of Seba's wife, though I completely ignored the discussion. Being a happy wife can be a factor in some athletes staying in Canada long term.

Talking about football WAG's (wife and girlfriend) is more of a European thing. 

Well she was an actress so she wants the attention as a celebrity. 

The attention of soccer wives or girlfriend's is much more common in European gossip press. One of the things I don't want imported to North America. 

Columbus won the MLS Cup, the wives had a very trivial influence on the team getting there... 

In fact many designated players  seem to have a negative influence on team performance, see Toronto...

On 12/26/2023 at 5:56 AM, kacbru said:

Yeah, no one paid any attention to Janet Gretzky... 

I've never seen as many hockey wives stories as in the last year or two. In Spain it only appears because players marry tv hostesses and the like.

For me it's only relevant if they play a key role for the player, like being a manager. In Suarez's case, being so mentally (emotionally?) unstable, it matters.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

If he is still "unstable" then Florida is not the place I would go. It's a common meme of the "Florida man." And being part of the sideshow of Miami that is spilling forth into changing how the very league is run. 

DP's can make teams lopsided and not cohesive. This can cause more friction between the working class players and the elite class. I would say millionaire players but Messi is literally a billionaire.

Kind of hard to paint Messi as a heroic figure when he owns a real estate portfolio, holds lucrative brand partnerships, and even owns a hotel chain. He fits in with the crowd of billionaire villains then the regular American athletes of MLS. 

How about a nice small stable team like Columbus. Rather then the glitz and glamor of Florida or California. I would avoid being around the Messi circus if I was him.

On 12/27/2023 at 10:15 PM, fil said:

If he is still "unstable" then Florida is not the place I would go. It's a common meme of the "Florida man." And being part of the sideshow of Miami that is spilling forth into changing how the very league is run. 

DP's can make teams lopsided and not cohesive. This can cause more friction between the working class players and the elite class. I would say millionaire players but Messi is literally a billionaire.

Kind of hard to paint Messi as a heroic figure when he owns a real estate portfolio, holds lucrative brand partnerships, and even owns a hotel chain. He fits in with the crowd of billionaire villains then the regular American athletes of MLS. 

How about a nice small stable team like Columbus. Rather then the glitz and glamor of Florida or California. I would avoid being around the Messi circus if I was him.

The Spanish-peaking guys often get sold on Florida being Hispanic, as if that was somehow friendlier, when we know it is hugely Cuban ex-pats who could care less about soccer. They also get sucked into the weather or lifestyle. Now, to be sure, it is more mixed, there are Mexicans and South Americans all over the States, but it is not the best place to be, I agree. 

As I personally dislike teams in all sports from Florida (and Texas, and California mostly, and New York), I don't care if he succeeds or not. Inter is a Whitecaps rival, and with Miller gone I care even less. Suárez left Barça badmouthing the club, when FCB saved him from his woes internationally and in EPL, solidified his career and legacy; he had a multi-month ban after Chiellini and we organised friendlies for him (I went to the first, btw, vs. Club León, summer 2014). And he's ageing, though I think the team will have some spectacular games and I'd go see them if I were living in North America. 

For me, Inter Miami in MLS with this roster is a nice juggernaut and I am convinced plenty of teams will rise to the occasion and beat them.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Personally, I hope Messi and Inter Miami do succeed in the MLS. You can already see the increased season tickets for next year as well as the Apple TV subs going up.  That is good for the league.  Obviously, after Messi leaves, they will have to retain them and there is a long way to go in doing that and continuing to grow the league but him being in Miami is certainly helping.