General MLS Talk 2024

Big_M

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

No more MLS teams in USOC? Shameful decision and dangerous precedent for world football.

I doubt it's a precedent for world football.  Man U pulled out of the FA Cup once two decades ago, there was a ton of outrage, and I don't think any club has tried that since.

I think some of this is the North American mentality across sports of "only the playoff Cup matters".  Regular season champion?  Doesn't matter.  Only the "Cup" (be it Stanley, MLS, Super Bowl, etc) matters.  Which is a shame, because the Open Cup does mean something to at least some clubs.  It meant something to Houston this year.  I remembering hearing that Minnesota was actively trying to win it.  I remember Seattle taking it very seriously in their early years - winning it was their gateway to instilling a winning mentality in the organization. 

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think some of this is the North American mentality across sports of "only the playoff Cup matters".  Regular season champion?  Doesn't matter.  Only the "Cup" (be it Stanley, MLS, Super Bowl, etc) matters. 

That mentality isn't changing anytime soon.

The Lakers were getting derided in the media for putting up a banner for winning the first ever in-season NBA tourney.  

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

That mentality isn't changing anytime soon.

The Lakers were getting derided in the media for putting up a banner for winning the first ever in-season NBA tourney.  

Agreed. But that's why I think MLS thinks it's easy enough to drop the Open Cup.

But interesting that the media is deriding them for putting up a banner, since ratings for the in-season tournament were up over regular games and players were apparently in to it.  I'm not an NBA fan, so I didn't follow it.

23 hours ago, Obinna said:

No more MLS teams in USOC? Shameful decision and dangerous precedent for world football.

What an absolute joke. Disgusting.

Stuff like this makes it really hard to like MLS. They make absolutely no secret of the fact they don’t take the sport seriously and just want to be a North American big 5 league that monopolizes all competition and competitors. 

God forbid that little clubs could enrich themselves off MLS clubs/stars once a year…

If MLS teams think the schedule is condensed what’s stopping them from just playing their reserves in a first team match? NOTHING. But now if/when an MLS team loses it was officially just their reserves. Cowards.

Also, the league brass love “real supporters” but constantly do dumb shit to piss them off. It’s ridiculous. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What an absolute joke. Disgusting.

Stuff like this makes it really hard to like MLS. They make absolutely no secret of the fact they don’t take the sport seriously and just want to be a North American big 5 league that monopolizes all competition and competitors. 

God forbid that little clubs could enrich themselves off MLS clubs/stars once a year…

If MLS teams think the schedule is condensed what’s stopping them from just playing their reserves in a first team match? NOTHING. But now if/when an MLS team loses it was officially just their reserves. Cowards.

Also, the league brass love “real supporters” but constantly do dumb shit to piss them off. It’s ridiculous. 

Hopefully there is enough outcry to make them reverse course. It's such a disastrous decision. They basically want to replace the USOC with Leagues Cup because they control the latter. A lot of talk about fans boycotting Leagues Cup, but I am not confident that will do much of anything. It's just really sad to see this happen. The whole thing just gives me European Super League vibes. The only silver lining is that a USL team could and probably will make it to the Champions Cup, but I am aside from that it's just a complete joke of a decision, one that is about money. 

I have been caring less about MLS in recent years and this just accelerated the process for me. I will be hoping for Leagues Cup to implode as well. There are so many problems with it but at least most fans were indifferent to it before, now they will be rooting for it's downfall. I know I will be.

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hopefully there is enough outcry to make them reverse course. It's such a disastrous decision. They basically want to replace the USOC with Leagues Cup because they control the latter. A lot of talk about fans boycotting Leagues Cup, but I am not confident that will do much of anything. It's just really sad to see this happen. The whole thing just gives me European Super League vibes. The only silver lining is that a USL team could and probably will make it to the Champions Cup, but I am aside from that it's just a complete joke of a decision, one that is about money. 

I have been caring less about MLS in recent years and this just accelerated the process for me. I will be hoping for Leagues Cup to implode as well. There are so many problems with it but at least most fans were indifferent to it before, now they will be rooting for its downfall. I know I will be.

We know that the USOC and Leagues Cup both became hugely relevant last year because of one player. So MLS kneecaps the one that doesn’t benefit them and makes the country’s FA cup the EFL Cup essentially. 

Where is the USSF in this? Or are they in cahoots? A USL team making the champions league each year helps appease the league and counter the CPL where entrants outnumber MLS teams in Canada. As if MLS cares that they’ll drop from 8 to 7 teams anyhow… 

On 12/17/2023 at 1:03 PM, BearcatSA said:

"It is increasingly clear the league treats supporters only as customers. Much of the rest of the world of top-level soccer tries to do the same with various levels of success, but MLS is more flagrant in how it goes about it. MLS guidelines for fans are even called “supporter privileges” as if to present the idea fans should count themselves lucky the league lets them be involved. The truth is, the league is lucky to have fanbases that are so engaged, giving character and life to these single-entity league franchises."

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Sounds very similar to why the NHL has a hard time sending its players to the Olympics and I think didn’t allow its players to play in the last one . Basically they have no control of revenue and many other aspects when it comes to hockey at the Olympics.

Can be one reason.  Another is a very high percentage of NHL players would not pass Olympics drug tests. 

Edited by costarg