General MLS Talk 2024

Big_M

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

I typically stay away from the MLS section of the forum, so I don't know if this has already been discussed so apologies if it has. On the weekend I ended up watching the Leafs live, which meant I abandoned the TFC game after about 20 minutes of game time, thinking I would watch the rest on replay on Apple TV. I believe I am still subscribed, but after the game I wasn't able to find ANY replays available on Apple. Is this a new change or am I maybe looking in the wrong places?

In the "good news" front, I was able to find the setting that turns off the live scores from thumbnails. I am pretty sure it wasn't available on my version of the app (on non-Apple devices) last season. I do know the score of the TFC vs Orlando game now and have watched highlights, so no need to avoid spoilers, but if anyone can help me find replays, that'd be great.

I suffered a lot with this last year as well.  The score settings didn't seem to work across different devices or apps which I found weird.  Perhaps it also reset with updates?  Playing games later was a pain in the ass, a tonne of errors, wrong language, etc... growing pains maybe?  I didn't expect it to be perfect year 1,  but you'd think the updates would fix things.  Just didn't feel like MLS was very high on Apple's to do list.  

Wish I could help, but i've moved on from Apple for now.

Edited by costarg

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I typically stay away from the MLS section of the forum, so I don't know if this has already been discussed so apologies if it has. On the weekend I ended up watching the Leafs live, which meant I abandoned the TFC game after about 20 minutes of game time, thinking I would watch the rest on replay on Apple TV. I believe I am still subscribed, but after the game I wasn't able to find ANY replays available on Apple. Is this a new change or am I maybe looking in the wrong places?

In the "good news" front, I was able to find the setting that turns off the live scores from thumbnails. I am pretty sure it wasn't available on my version of the app (on non-Apple devices) last season. I do know the score of the TFC vs Orlando game now and have watched highlights, so no need to avoid spoilers, but if anyone can help me find replays, that'd be great.

I think if you look under the specific team section you can find it.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I think if you look under the specific team section you can find it.

I tried that, but I clicked on a couple of games and it was just 6 minute recaps of the games. Not the full game.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I tried that, but I clicked on a couple of games and it was just 6 minute recaps of the games. Not the full game.

It's a bit of a pain in the ass/not intuitive, but if you're on the screen that shows "Recap" and push "down" it will give you the option of the full replay, recap, and highlights.  At least it does on Roku.

I've been listening to MLS Extratime more often recently, and I know the reputation of MLS on here is that Canada gets ignored.  And frankly, for only having 3 teams (and a national team that's less active than the one south of the border), I'm finding there's actually a decent amount of Canadian player/team content.

For instance, on today's episode:

1) A lengthy discussion of Brian White and his turnaround at Vancouver.

2) A discussion of what Vancouver proved (or didn't) at NY.

3) A discussion of Tan Oluwaseyi (while discussing if Minnesota would miss Reynoso)

Plus some brief mentions of Moises Bombito ("one of the best young defenders in the league") and that the Canadian Championship is going on again this week (which they follow and discuss results from) and the Montreal/Toronto results.

Anyway, it's obviously not as hyper-focused on Canada as some of the ones up here, I'm just saying it's not the "Canada is being ignored" I hear from some people.

22 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Some of those MLS pundits really have a soft spot for CDNs and the CDN teams.  And they do get alot of attention.  Whether MLS brass actually give 2 f$cks about CDN teams concerns is another matter altogether.

22 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Some of those MLS pundits really have a soft spot for CDNs and the CDN teams.  And they do get alot of attention.  Whether MLS brass actually give 2 f$cks about CDN teams concerns is another matter altogether.

So kind if like the NHL i guess

10 hours ago, jordan said:

IMG_1579.thumb.png.5878d5c972f065c90d10de61122526f5.pngIt’s there on mine 

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's a bit of a pain in the ass/not intuitive, but if you're on the screen that shows "Recap" and push "down" it will give you the option of the full replay, recap, and highlights.  At least it does on Roku.

Yup, you scroll down from the recap, but do not scroll too far down because right below are the goal highlights.  So if you only see one goal highlight, you know the game ended 1-0.

first coaching change of the season...nashville parts ways with gary smith the day after they beat toronto...in 10th place this year...in his fifth season leading them in mls and made playoffs in all four full season but they surely thought they werent progressing enough and had to make a change...no titles in any competitions either...furthest was the final of leagues cup last year

Nashville SC part ways with Gary Smith

42 minutes ago, Big_M said:

first coaching change of the season...nashville parts ways with gary smith the day after they beat toronto...in 10th place this year...in his fifth season leading them in mls and made playoffs in all four full season but they surely thought they werent progressing enough and had to make a change...no titles in any competitions either...furthest was the final of leagues cup last year

Nashville SC part ways with Gary Smith

I remembering reading a few years ago about how expansion teams were given excess GAM/TAM to use since they were building a team from scratch. And the result was that these teams were having really early success but then regressing quickly after it was used up. And we've seen it Nashville, Austin, even Atlanta, and now playing out with St Louis. Obviously these teams can rebound, but they find there's suddenly a period where some of their depth (a strength early on) is no longer there and they regress.

depth is not really the issue here...moore boyd bunbury who are all quality players subbed in last night and won it and put it away...its mostly a situation of hey we're happy we made playoffs but then dont win any titles then it happens again and again and then it becomes intolerable and you have to make a change

in the case of atlanta they made bad coaching hires after martino in de boer heinze and pineda...now its not unlikely that lagerway makes a cleanup by putting bocanegra and pineda out