General MLS Talk 2024

Big_M

44 minutes ago, red card said:

Callender wasn't good in the first game but he today, he put up a disaster class. Gave up a penalty and then caught wandering in this goal.

Not a good look for MLS there.

On 1/26/2024 at 5:08 PM, red card said:

Sportico updated their MLS team valuations. Average team is worth US$678m, up 16% from fall 2022 due in part to Messi. Value includes real estate, other team-related businesses and any ownership of NWSL/MLSNP teams.

4 teams are worth over $1b: LAFC, Atlanta, Miami, Galaxy. TFC is 8th, down 3 spots, valued at $725m. Caps are 27th, down 1, valued at $470m. CFM is ranked last at $440m. 

The revenue multiple they use is 9.6x which is drop from 10.2. NBA now has a higher multiple.

MLS made about $2b in revenue last season, up 27%. This includes revenue from SUM. Local revenue represents more than 85% of the total. The league cut its share of ticket revenue from 33% to 10% unless crowd is over 30k to reward stadium investments.

LAFC generated $128m in revenues, followed by Miami at $127m. TFC made $70m, Caps made $45m and CFM produced $46m.

At the same time, Deloiite released it's Football Money League report. In terms of revenue, no MLS teams made the top 30. Real Madrid eclipsed Man City to led with US$901m. Everton at #30 produced $214m. 6 of top 10 clubs are in the Prem. The top 10 have remained unchanged since 2021/22. Clubs 11-20 have shifted due to improved or not on-pitch results.

https://www.sportico.com/feature/mls-soccer-teams-data-1234689642/

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/sports-business-group/articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

Screenshot 2024-01-26 170540.jpg

Now Forbes has come out with their new MLS valuations. They also have LAFC as most valuable team but put Miami and Galaxy ahead of Atlanta. They only have 2 teams valued at US$1B or more vs 4 for Sportico. However, Forbes excluded real estate, stadiums and on the flip side, debt.

Missing from Sportico, Forbes does provide estimated operating income figures but excludes money from transfers, playoffs and shared revenue from MLS HQ. 10 teams made money with DC United & Cincinnati making the most at $10m each. 4 teams were flat while 15 teams lost money. The 2 highest money losing teams were in Canada.

TFC is ranked 9th instead of 8th but with same valuation of $725m. TFC lost $12m last year (2nd highest) with $69m in revenues.

CFM is ranked 27th at $430m valuation ($10m less than Sportico) with $40m in revenues. Operating income was -$8m.

The Caps are ranked 28th at $420m valuation ($50m less than Sportico). Revenues were $25m which is the lowest in the league. Sportico had them with second lowest in  revenues at $45m. They lost the most of any team at $14m. Looks like the Caps aren't being effectively managed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2024/02/02/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams-2024/?sh=707a41db3347

20 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

^A sign of things to come at BC Place? 🤔

Life is about taking chances you buy a ticket hoping he plays if you really want to see him play , if you want to go to a game where he might play you take the chance and buy a ticket . If you don’t buy a ticket and he ends up playing then you will miss out if you are a person that really wanted to see him play live . I think people who buy a ticket know the chance they are taking if the only reason you want to go is to see Messi . 

Edited by SoccMan

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Life is about taking chances you buy a ticket hoping he plays if you really want to see him play , if you want to go to a game where he might play you take the chance and buy a ticket . If you don’t buy a ticket and he ends up playing then you will miss out if you are a person that really wanted to see him play live . I think people who buy a ticket know the chance they are taking if the only reason you want to go is to see Messi . 

It is different when it is a touring exhibition that is sold exclusively on seeing Messi. It is not like 40k people from Hong Kong are itching to see Inter Miami. 

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

James Sharman used a short clip on Global News (?) in which I said that we (a few RPB members gathered in front of his camera behind the supporters section after the game) only cared that Danny Dichio wasn't playing when David Beckham failed to play against TFC for the Galaxy in a game back in 2007. Hope somebody has the pleasure of saying something like that on air to all the clowns that are paying hundreds of dollars to watch Messi in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver this summer but normally have zero interest in watching their local pro team.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

18 minutes ago, kacbru said:

It is different when it is a touring exhibition that is sold exclusively on seeing Messi. It is not like 40k people from Hong Kong are itching to see Inter Miami. 

Inter Miami aren't dumb enough to sell the tour exclusively on seeing Messi, but maybe the local organizers aren't so smart.

3 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Their normal prices? I'm talking about MLS games involving Miami. I could have sworn that's what I heard but I could be mistaken.

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the Hong Kong friendly.

Yeah, Miami has jacked up their prices across the board. And teams around the league have certainly done the same for games against Miami.

That said, season ticket holders seem to be spared the brunt of it, at least from the little I've seen from around the league. That's actually decent of the teams, if true.

6 hours ago, kacbru said:

I was there to see the fiasco play out.  The real issue was they knew before kickoff he wasn’t playing (some say in the morning and others say in the afternoon).  They didn’t announce it. Named him to the subs bench. And had their MCs make a big deal of that when introducing the teams.  And then constantly remind the fans throughout the match that all their big star fan favourites would be coming on at some point and they need not worry.  The mood change quite significantly about 80 min.  Neither Suarez or Messi came on (although Suarez warmed up).  Alba and Busquets came on at about the 60 min but that acted just as a tease as fans than expected the other 2 on any minute.

It also didn’t help that Messi didn’t even waive to the crowd including when coming onto the pitch at half time.  And at the end when the natives were getting very restless, Beckham tried to quiet the crowd down by speaking to them but just got booed.   He did get cheered when someone invaded the pitch and ran after him to get a jersey signed.  He signed it and the crowd cheered before the cops led him away.

But as others have said, you can certainly see this being repeated in league matches but that is more expected as its a long season and at 36, he will get injuries or just need rest.

18 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

As someone who overpaid to buy a ticket to watch Miami v Whitecaps I totally don't accept any complaining if Messi doesn't play. It will also really annoy me if people are cheering for Miami

A touring situation against some best 11 team is a bit different 

Their entire appearance fee is based on one piece of data. So it is cynical as hell.

Quite often the contract will say that if certain players don't appear, the fee is reduced. The fee is hinged on appearances. Miami took the loss if that is the case. 

As for the Caps game in May, if Busquets has a good game it is also worth an overpriced ticket. I once specifically paid and travelled to go see Newcastle in a preseason friendly because I wanted to see Alan Shearer play, late in his career. It's weird, but I saw Shearer and I'd like to think I'm a better man for it, while I've seen Messi maybe a hundred times and I am pretty sure it had no significant effect on my life.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Their entire appearance fee is based on one piece of data. So it is cynical as hell.

Quite often the contract will say that if certain players don't appear, the fee is reduced. The fee is hinged on appearances. Miami took the loss if that is the case. 

As for the Caps game in May, if Busquets has a good game it is also worth an overpriced ticket. I once specifically paid and travelled to go see Newcastle in a preseason friendly because I wanted to see Alan Shearer play, late in his career. It's weird, but I saw Shearer and I'd like to think I'm a better man for it, while I've seen Messi maybe a hundred times and I am pretty sure it had no significant effect on my life.

On Busquets, I was surprised how slow he has become.   He was clever with his touches and made a difference when he came on with his passing.  But man was he slow. A number of times, HK players just blew by him in the midfield.  Overall, Miami’s defense was terrible.  If HK had any quality, they would have easily scored 3 or 4. 

With him and Messi in midfield and a very weak backline, they are going to struggle to not leak goals like a sieve.  There will be a lot of 5-3 matches some of which they will win, some they will lose. 

When I lived in London, Liverpool played a pre-season friendly against Barcelona at Wembley. I got tickets in the Members' pre-sale, thinking that the place would be half-full, being a friendly, and all. To my surprise, the game sold out in a matter of minutes!

So, I got to see Liverpool beat Barca 4-nil on a gorgeous, early-August evening, with Messi and Suarez coming on for the last half hour, or so. Who knew that Liverpool beating Barca 4-nil was going to become just another thing that happened now and then. 😄

Liverpool's Barcelona mauling belonged to new generation of believers who  made Anfield explode - Liverpool.com

12 hours ago, An Observer said:

On Busquets, I was surprised how slow he has become.   He was clever with his touches and made a difference when he came on with his passing.  But man was he slow. A number of times, HK players just blew by him in the midfield.  Overall, Miami’s defense was terrible.  If HK had any quality, they would have easily scored 3 or 4. 

With him and Messi in midfield and a very weak backline, they are going to struggle to not leak goals like a sieve.  There will be a lot of 5-3 matches some of which they will win, some they will lose. 

He was always slow, he was never even medium fast. Running. I find he's become slower as a defensive pivot as well, because he doesn't find his pass and then can get stripped of the ball.

I used to watch Barcelona train and he was extraordinary in the rondos and his first touch. For me he could have done a lot more with the skills he had.

I find it funny they could end up hapless with all those signings.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

US Open this year is still an ongoing debate. Current options on the table seem to be the non-Canadian CC participants being allowed to opt out (Houston as holders could opt in), clubs being given the option to field either their first team or Next Pro team, or expand rosters.

The point they all seem to agree on is having fewer MLS vs MLS games in the early rounds. Neither side thinks it moves the needle, so they'd delay these match ups until it was mathematically impossible not to.

https://theathletic.com/5264042/2024/02/09/mls-us-soccer-open-cup?source=user-shared-article