General MLS Talk 2024

Big_M

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

If Miami is looking to shed some players, maybe TFC can find a bargain??  

Judging from earlier comments in this thread, they don't have much room to pick up guys.  CFM and the Caps might have more space available to get a guy.

^^^ I dont believe everything I hear on this board.  How can they dump 4 guys salaries and roster spots and bring in Flores and 2 rookies and not have space for at least 1 more?  They still havnt bought anyone out yet either, cough cough, Diomonde...cough cough.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

^^^ I dont believe everything I hear on this board.  How can they dump 4 guys salaries and roster spots and bring in Flores and 2 rookies and not have space for at least 1 more?  They still havnt bought anyone out yet either, cough cough, Diomonde...cough cough.  

Well, we'll find out if they can make something happen in acquiring one of those guys.  Who would you pick up that looks available?

They all look too expensive, Mota gregoire, Yedilin....no bargains there.  Maybe CB Krystov, but he is old and who knows if any of them would be willing to come to TO eh??  I guess it depends on how desperate they are to move guys and maybe we send a bunch of Garber bucks their way, or pay down the incoming players salary etc.  The rules are so convoluted, who knows eh???  Its nice to see that TFC are not the only team that has got their hands tied due overinflated signings and salary cap problems, HEHEHHE.  

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

This seems like a case of them assuming MLS would change a bunch of rules in their favour, and got screwed when they didn't. Oh well.

Who do they think they are, the Galaxy?

Edited by Metro

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Not surprising, and not surprised that he shows up outside of Season Pass a couple of times, once on TSN for Montreal at Saputo and I think once on Fox.  I never thought that his Vancouver and Toronto appearances would make the TSN broadcast schedule.

They opened up some freebie watching of selected matches on Apple+ last year, including some playoff games, but I wonder how much of that they will do this season?

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Not surprising, and not surprised that he shows up outside of Season Pass a couple of times, once on TSN for Montreal at Saputo and I think once on Fox.  I never thought that his Vancouver and Toronto appearances would make the TSN broadcast schedule.

They opened up some freebie watching of selected matches on Apple+ last year, including some playoff games, but I wonder how much of that they will do this season?

It was interesting to finally get some numbers.  Would be even more interesting to see viewership by team, but don't think we'll see that.

Much like how they sold games to TSN again, I suspect they'll offer some freebies again as well.  Not the "key" games (and by that I mean Messi, not games actually important to the team's on field success), but they'll offer something.

I didn't track it, since as a STH I had the free Apple+ subscription, but I wonder how many of those "free" days coincided with being on TSN?  I know at least a few did.

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I didn't track it, since as a STH I had the free Apple+ subscription, but I wonder how many of those "free" days coincided with being on TSN?  I know at least a few did.

I can't remember, either, but I wonder what the prorated subscription fee will be this year if you purchase late in the sesson for the playoffs

Edited by BearcatSA

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

While not listed yet on MLS schedule page or Apple TV's MLS Season pass, it looks like 4 will be free on Apple TV for the first weekend as per one site & Google's Gemini. But 3 of the matches are also available on TSN or Fox.

Last year, all 14 were shown free on the first weekend and about 6/week thereafter.

MLS has also cut back on the number of commentators/analysts as 18 were let go while 8 were added. Much less French broadcasts means Patrice Bernier, Olivier Brett, Filosa, Le Toux, De Falco & Matt Cullen are all gone. Ref rules analyst Unkel is also gone. Some of the remaining are taking pay cuts up to 33%.

The new hires are largely for the new 360 show in Spanish. Pregame shows will now be 1 hour. MLS is only football league to show all matches in 1080p.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/major-league-soccer-unveils-its-broadcast-talent-team-for-mls-season-pass-on-app

Edited by red card

23 minutes ago, red card said:

MLS has also cut back on the number of commentators/analysts as 18 were let go while 8 were added. Much less French broadcasts means Patrice Bernier, Olivier Brett, Filosa, Le Toux, De Falco & Matt Cullen are all gone. Ref rules analyst Unkel is also gone. Some of the remaining are taking pay cuts up to 33%.

That's a fair degree of restructuring there.  Like you say, it looks like they are continuing to focus on the Latin American market.

49 minutes ago, narduch said:

Season may start with scab refs.

I hope we see fans yelling "Scab!" as refs walk onto the pitch.

Looks like Canada Soccer's refs (the same refs as CanPL matches?) will ref the matches in Vancouver & Toronto (and possibly Montreal if the lockout drags on long enough).

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 2/17/2024 at 9:02 PM, costarg said:

From a purely quality of reffing perspective, it'll probably be an improvement.

When they went out on strike a few years back, the replacement refs looked pretty good. there is probably a lot of good local refs that don't or can't commit to a lot of travel.

I am unreasonably excited for the MLS season to start.  For anyone that is follows Canadian players, there are a number of exciting storylines:

Toronto FC: Will Deandre Kerr emerge as a legitimate striker? Will Akinola return to form under Herdman?  Will Franklin continue to progress?  Will JMR play regularly and, if so, in what position?

CF Montreal: Will Saliba and Choiniere get as much playing time under Courtois?  Will Waterman continue to progress and run the backline?  Will Zouhir establish himself as a legitimate MLS player?

Portland: Will Kamal and MacGraw be regular partners on the backline?  Will Crepeau dominate the league?

Colorado: Will we see Bombito in midfield or somewhere on the backline (or on the bench)?  Will Priso regain any form he had from years ago?  Will KSB put in a rookie of the year performance (or even get minutes)?

Columbus: Mo Farsi played well enough to make Julian Gressel superfluous.  Will he continue that form?  Will JRR put it together at the MLS level?

Dallas: Can Fraser lock down a regular starting spot in a potent Dallas midfield?

Minnesota: Will Dayne find consistency?  I haven't heard much about Caldeira in pre-season but he's highly rated.  Will he emerge?  Will Oluwaseyi find minutes?

Nashville: Will Shaffleburg be a consistent starter?  Same question for MacNaughton.

Kansas City: Both Bassong and Arfifa had good pre-seasons, will that translate into regular or semi-regular minutes?

Will any Next Pro players find their way up in the bigs: Johnston (Nashville)?  Mazzaferro (Austin)? 

There will be a lot to pay attention to.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

I am unreasonably excited for the MLS season to start.  For anyone that is follows Canadian players, there are a number of exciting storylines:

Toronto FC: Will Deandre Kerr emerge as a legitimate striker? Will Akinola return to form under Herdman?  Will Franklin continue to progress?  Will JMR play regularly and, if so, in what position?

CF Montreal: Will Saliba and Choiniere get as much playing time under Courtois?  Will Waterman continue to progress and run the backline?  Will Zouhir establish himself as a legitimate MLS player?

Portland: Will Kamal and MacGraw be regular partners on the backline?  Will Crepeau dominate the league?

Colorado: Will we see Bombito in midfield or somewhere on the backline (or on the bench)?  Will Priso regain any form he had from years ago?  Will KSB put in a rookie of the year performance (or even get minutes)?

Columbus: Mo Farsi played well enough to make Julian Gressel superfluous.  Will he continue that form?  Will JRR put it together at the MLS level?

Dallas: Can Fraser lock down a regular starting spot in a potent Dallas midfield?

Minnesota: Will Dayne find consistency?  I haven't heard much about Caldeira in pre-season but he's highly rated.  Will he emerge?  Will Oluwaseyi find minutes?

Nashville: Will Shaffleburg be a consistent starter?  Same question for MacNaughton.

Kansas City: Both Bassong and Arfifa had good pre-seasons, will that translate into regular or semi-regular minutes?

Will any Next Pro players find their way up in the bigs: Johnston (Nashville)?  Mazzaferro (Austin)? 

There will be a lot to pay attention to.

Looks great. I would just add at Dallas “ will Sali get minutes and emerge as a potential young starlet”