General MLS Talk 2024

Big_M

Chicago would probably be the most likely choice if he's returning for personal reasons. However, a move to Portland would reunite him with Kamal Miller. With two Canadians at Portland I think we want them to strengthen so that our boys have a good year. And technically Colorado have two Canadians as well, but they seem to be a lost cause. 

Portland just lost Yimmi Chara so maybe they view Djordje as the replacement?

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That's a pretty historical club for LAFC to buy up. I wonder if some of the other big MLS clubs will look to do the same. A "reverse City/Red Bull" situation.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39329961/lafc-buys-majority-stake-fallen-swiss-giant-grasshopper

This could alter the terms of the Corbeanu loan there, as the Wolves connection has been terminated. 

I may not affect this season but it won't be a natural option for a player on Wolves to go on loan.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

When does TSN announce its broadcast schedule?

58 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe this is the year they are frozen out of MLS by apple, and pick up exciting all CDN CPL action.  

I think it was only a few weeks before the season started last year. And it probably doesn't actually hurt Apple to sell some games.

Sportico updated their MLS team valuations. Average team is worth US$678m, up 16% from fall 2022 due in part to Messi. Value includes real estate, other team-related businesses and any ownership of NWSL/MLSNP teams.

4 teams are worth over $1b: LAFC, Atlanta, Miami, Galaxy. TFC is 8th, down 3 spots, valued at $725m. Caps are 27th, down 1, valued at $470m. CFM is ranked last at $440m. 

The revenue multiple they use is 9.6x which is drop from 10.2. NBA now has a higher multiple.

MLS made about $2b in revenue last season, up 27%. This includes revenue from SUM. Local revenue represents more than 85% of the total. The league cut its share of ticket revenue from 33% to 10% unless crowd is over 30k to reward stadium investments.

LAFC generated $128m in revenues, followed by Miami at $127m. TFC made $70m, Caps made $45m and CFM produced $46m.

At the same time, Deloiite released it's Football Money League report. In terms of revenue, no MLS teams made the top 30. Real Madrid eclipsed Man City to led with US$901m. Everton at #30 produced $214m. 6 of top 10 clubs are in the Prem. The top 10 have remained unchanged since 2021/22. Clubs 11-20 have shifted due to improved or not on-pitch results.

https://www.sportico.com/feature/mls-soccer-teams-data-1234689642/

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/sports-business-group/articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

Screenshot 2024-01-26 170540.jpg

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Looks like EA Sports has leaked the new kits for the 3 Canadian teams

granted i'm a fan of basically any kit that incorporates gold, but i love the look of this caps kit. the OG logo is a really nice touch too

Inter Miami got bombed by Al Nassr, 6-0. And playing with some big pieces. They haven't won a thing this preseason. Though probably will vs the Hong Kong selects on Saturday. Still, not looking good for them, slow start to the preseason. They still play Vissel Kobe, go to Argentina. 

Seems they are more concerned with getting those appearance fees than preparing for the league start in three weeks. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Inter Miami diminishing their brand, MLS, Concacaf & Messi's all in 1 ridiculous money grab

If you're going to play international pre season friendlies, pick someone who's willing to play ball. Not someone who has their back up trying to prove they're better than you

Edited by SpursFlu