Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

^^^truly bizarre stuff. My only thought on seeing that tweet was that's more like it if you want to be viewed as a step up from that level, which you should be with close to a seven figure player salary budget and full-time training. Hopefully he won't derail this thread any further by elaborating further with any more of his spite filled mindset.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 3/29/2024 at 8:24 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^truly bizarre stuff. My only thought on seeing that tweet was that's more like it if you want to be viewed as a step up from that level, which you should be with close to a seven figure player salary budget and full-time training. Hopefully he won't derail this thread any further by elaborating further with any more of his spite filled mindset.

You are truly in a world of your own. He's only stating what most people here are thinking so there's nothing bizarre about it. And the only derailment that happens on this forum is every time you open your big fucking yap.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:24 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The fact that there are multiple posters from London Ontario here but you assumed it referred to you is telling.

^^^this series of posts is the intellectual equivalent of a tomcat urinating against some fixed object to mark out his perceived territory. People with a certain type of mindset wind up being much more concerned about who should be allowed to post on a forum that they regard as their patch rather than in using said forum for what it's supposed to be all about, i.e. in this case discussing Canadian soccer and Vancouver FC.

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^this series of posts is the intellectual equivalent of a tomcat urinating against some fixed object to mark out his perceived territory. People with a certain type of mindset wind up being much more concerned about who should be allowed to post on a forum that they regard as their patch rather than in using said forum for what it's supposed to be all about, i.e. in this case discussing Canadian soccer and Vancouver FC.

Pot, kettle, etc

A really nice second top for the club.  I like that it's a real contrast to their fist choice, unlike last year.  I've said it before, that I think the league doesn't have enough contrasting colours for the teams in their games.  I'm hopeful this is a sign of changes in that regard.  

18 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Vancouver signs dzikowski and powell to usports contracts

Was surprised when the "U SPORTS Men’s Soccer Player of the Year" was not selected in the draft.  Good to see Dzikowski has found a spot in the CanPL.

I am looking forward to travelling down to see another game this year but would like to do it on a weekend when the Bandits will also be playing a home game on a day before or after the VFC match so I can compare the match day experience vibe.  I am also curious to see if the Caps' success and attendance upswing has an effect on the attendance at Willoughby.  Hopefully, VFC getting off to a good start in the spring will encourage more fans to come out and support local football.

Joey Buchanan has joined the Eagles on a Development Contract which allows the midfielder to train full time with VFC and appear in up to 6 CPL games, all while maintaining his amateur status and roster spot on his current club, Burnaby FC. The youth organization recently established a League1 BC team which will serve as Vancouver’s affiliate club for downward player movement for the 2024 season. 

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Well, he's basically managing WFC2 now, so we'll see what he can do with them.

Kinda hoping they can beat Cavalry in the Voyageurs Cup and they can face off

Edited by narduch

On 4/11/2024 at 1:57 AM, red card said:

Joey Buchanan has joined the Eagles on a Development Contract which allows the midfielder to train full time with VFC and appear in up to 6 CPL games, all while maintaining his amateur status and roster spot on his current club, Burnaby FC. The youth organization recently established a League1 BC team which will serve as Vancouver’s affiliate club for downward player movement for the 2024 season. 

So last year they had that L1 agreement with Unity, now with Burnaby. 

I was not aware that the CPL team had to designate the L1 team they were going to deal with for player movement. 

Last season, iirc, most of these 6-game contracts responded to roster needs due to injuries. in some cases the player signed did not even get minutes. Here it is like a provisional mechanism applied beforehand. Does the 6-game provision start the moment the contract is signed, and include fixtures, or only involve games where the player gets minutes?

Related, teams in BC and Ontario can benefit from this as they have L1 teams nearby, HFX and Valour cannot, then I am not sure of how this will work for Cavalry this year in Alberta. So Pacific, which used to have Highlanders players nearby in Greater Victoria, no longer does, and may have to declare Harbour up in Nanaimo as their L1 club for these roster movements. Which means quite a bit further distance if players are indeed travelling back and forth.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So Pacific, which used to have Highlanders players nearby in Greater Victoria, no longer does, and may have to declare Harbour up in Nanaimo as their L1 club for these roster movements. Which means quite a bit further distance if players are indeed travelling back and forth.

FYI, I don't think Pacific used the Highlanders last year. Believe they used Nautsa'mawt FC, though I may be corrected on that.

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So last year they had that L1 agreement with Unity, now with Burnaby. 

I was not aware that the CPL team had to designate the L1 team they were going to deal with for player movement. 

Last season, iirc, most of these 6-game contracts responded to roster needs due to injuries. in some cases the player signed did not even get minutes. Here it is like a provisional mechanism applied beforehand. Does the 6-game provision start the moment the contract is signed, and include fixtures, or only involve games where the player gets minutes?

Related, teams in BC and Ontario can benefit from this as they have L1 teams nearby, HFX and Valour cannot, then I am not sure of how this will work for Cavalry this year in Alberta. So Pacific, which used to have Highlanders players nearby in Greater Victoria, no longer does, and may have to declare Harbour up in Nanaimo as their L1 club for these roster movements. Which means quite a bit further distance if players are indeed travelling back and forth.

only counts if the player gets on the field...remember hfx has had players under dev contracts including nick gagan who was from ontario...so they gave him a place to stay and he trained with the first team that summer and also played with their u23s...he never played an official game with the first team but sat on the bench for a few