Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

I am pleasantly surprised by the signing of Bah. In the few WFC2 games that I watched at the beginning of last season, he was one of the players that stood out to me. It sounds like his second half of the season wasn't as promising, however at 19 years old, he is worth taking a shot on in my opinion.

As an Ottawa native, it is interesting he decided to stay in Vancouver and not return home. Perhaps Atletico is so stacked they didn't need him?

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

23 year-old Canadian MF from Hartford Athletic (USL)

Really really like this signing. Been a very interesting player in the USL over the last two years. 23 years young with 88 USL Champ. appearances already.

No idea how they will fair this season, but the squad dropped a friendly the other day against a makeshift team consisting of Douglas College and VMSL players 2-1...  An additional 30 minute scrimmage was played after the 90 that featured trialists whom won 1-0.  Interestingly, Massud Habibullah (who was trialing with VFC last year) scored the goals for the makeshift team.

Edited by Footyeh

18 hours ago, nolando said:

They also played a team made up of mostly Whitecaps NextPro players the other day and did okay. I wouldn't panic just yet.

He's not panicking...he's hopeful. This is him just shovelling more shit on the CPL in hopes of the league folding so that his American overlords can take charge of the Canadian domestic game and run it like a proper bus league. 

21 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not what you want to happen as an emerging pro team because news of that will likely be spreading like wildfire in VMSL circles at this point in a that team's no better than our top clubs sort of way. Widely held perceptions can be important even when they are false ones.

Yeah totally, news is going to spread and those VMSL players will no longer want to go pro if offered the chance. They’ll stay in VMSL for pride and a chance to win preseason friendlies. 

TFC lost to a u17 team and drew a women’s team in early days I believe…  find me a person who draws conclusions off club preseason friendlies and I’ll find you a person who knows nothing about footy. 

3 hours ago, longlugan said:

He's not panicking...he's hopeful. This is him just shovelling more shit on the CPL in hopes of the league folding so that his American overlords can take charge of the Canadian domestic game and run it like a proper bus league. 

Cavalry and Pacific beat the Whitecaps in official matches … imagine how much the word has gotten around and how much their reputation has suffered. /s

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah totally, news is going to spread and those VMSL players will no longer want to go pro if offered the chance. They’ll stay in VMSL for pride and a chance to win preseason friendlies. 

TFC lost to a u17 team and drew a women’s team in early days I believe…  find me a person who draws conclusions off club preseason friendlies and I’ll find you a person who knows nothing about footy. 

Montreal lost to a USLC team this pre season. And have looked decent in their 1st 2 MLS games

Some of the stuff that gets posted on here is comic. I was hearing about amateur teams from London, Ont beating the London Lasers and Toronto Lynx in similar circumstances for years afterwards with exactly the spin I am describing placed upon it. You need to have practice games against someone but if it's lower level local teams it's best to demonstrate that you are a clear step up in quality from them when doing so or people will inevitably start to talk. Perceptions matter and there are reasons why the local soccer community have not been falling over themselves to buy tickets to see York United and Vancouver FC.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Some of the stuff that gets posted on here is comic. I was hearing about amateur teams from London, Ont beating the London Lasers and Toronto Lynx in similar circumstances for years afterwards with exactly the spin I am describing placed upon it. You need to have practice games against someone but if it's lower level local teams it's best to demonstrate that you are a clear step up in quality from them when doing so or people will inevitably start to talk. Perceptions matter and there are reasons why the local soccer community have not been falling over themselves to buy tickets to see York United and Vancouver FC.

God you're dumb.

I like what the team showed in its final stretch of matches after a not unexpected tough start as an expansion team.  Some young Cancon emerged and really helped to make this team a tough out during those final weeks.  I hope that they can build on the momentum out of the gate this season.