Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

2 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Does anyone think there's a chance Vancouver FC or another CPL team might get a chance to play Wrexham when Reynolds brings then to Vancouver?

I don't think so.

Looks like they other friendlies Wrexham are playing on this tour are against Chelsea and Bournemouth. 

Although I did see a rumor on Twitter about a CPL all star game. This would be a perfect opponent for something like that 

Just now, narduch said:

I don't think so.

Looks like they other friendlies Wrexham are playing on this tour are against Chelsea and Bournemouth. 

Although I did see a rumor on Twitter about a CPL all star game. This would be a perfect opponent for something like that 

Agreed! I always been really curious as to where CPL level would approximately sit on the English pyramid. I saw a National League match this summer and felt CPL was a bit above the quality I saw there. Wrexham is now essentially a League 1 team, so i would expect them to be stronger than most CPL sides, but an All Star game would be really intriguing.

1 hour ago, jdheid said:

Does anyone think there's a chance Vancouver FC or another CPL team might get a chance to play Wrexham when Reynolds brings then to Vancouver?

Given that the cheapest ticket for the Whitecaps game is $100 (after taxes and fees), no. Wrexham set the prices here.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Given that the cheapest ticket for the Whitecaps game is $100 (after taxes and fees), no. Wrexham set the prices here.

Too bad they're pricing out a lot of people who have likely gained an appreciation for the team from the TV show.

2 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Too bad they're pricing out a lot of people who have likely gained an appreciation for the team from the TV show.

I'm curious as to how they drew for last year's US tour. The pricing might not drive off the casual fan, though a lot of people seem to be irked by it.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is a bit of a cop out here for the Whitecaps 

There's other aspects around the communication of it that I have a bigger problem with (announcement and tickets on sale same day, with the season ticket holder benefit being "2 hours early"). The price isn't something I blame them for, even if I think it's steep.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm curious as to how they drew for last year's US tour. The pricing might not drive off the casual fan, though a lot of people seem to be irked by it.

It looks like the attendance was dependent on opponent. Good vs EPL teams but not so much vs MLS 2 teams.

The opening match against Chelsea at Kenan Memorial Stadium in North Carolina had an attendance of 50.5k.

Against LA Galaxy II, it was 10.5k.

Against Manchester United at Snapdragon Stadium in San Diego, it sold out. So, around 35k.

The final match against Philadelphia Union 2 was delayed by a storm. Attendance was around 15k.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

What's the situation with Grady?

Called up for Ireland again at youth level. Gonna be hard to crack the Vancouver FC 18, imo, as long as most of the more experienced players stay healthy. He hasn't been in the mix yet, and Simmons and Zach Verhoeven still haven't been healthy enough for the bench apparently. No cup games now either.

Edited by nolando

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Called up for Ireland again at youth level. Gonna be hard to crack the Vancouver FC 18, imo, as long as most of the more experienced players stay healthy. He hasn't been in the mix yet, and Simmons and Zach Verhoeven still haven't been healthy enough for the bench apparently. No cup games now either.

I'm not saying he shouldn't earn his spot, but considering he left the Whitecaps organization in order to get playing time, it will be interesting to see what happens if he doesn't get it.

And yes, obviously it's very early. But Vancouver seems to have more depth than last year, and I suspect there's a bit more pressure to start "winning now".

He was always likely to be spending most of his time this summer in L1BC where ironically he probably was going to be with the Whitecaps. Think the question should be more what happens over the long winter break when Vancouver FC will be largely shuttered (assuming no CONCACAF involvement) and the Whitecaps academy will still very much be active. Can he sign for a VMSL or FVSL club if he is on a pro contract?

Bitar, who was probably Vancouver FC's MVP last season, disappeared from the matchday roster altogether vs Cavalry, TJ and Cameron as well. Zero explanation. Simmons, another regular starter last year, hasn't been listed as injured (AFAIK only Chung and Verhoeven were injured before the latest loss) for the past two matches but also hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I can see.

Nothing on Reddit or the other socials. I feel like my 11-year-old son's team has more squad discussion and post match analysis available online.

My gut says something happened in camp midweek after the V's Cup loss, but that is just my own speculation.

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Bitar, who was probably Vancouver FC's MVP last season, disappeared from the matchday roster altogether vs Cavalry, TJ and Cameron as well. Zero explanation. Simmons, another regular starter last year, hasn't been listed as injured (AFAIK only Chung and Verhoeven were injured before the latest loss) for the past two matches but also hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I can see.

Nothing on Reddit or the other socials. I feel like my 11-year-old son's team has more squad discussion and post match analysis available online.

My gut says something happened in camp midweek after the V's Cup loss, but that is just my own speculation.

So true. I feel like a broken record bringing it up all of the time.

Some sort of special announcement is planned in Kelowna apparently:

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/pretty-cool-vancouver-fc-plans-to-make-an-announcement-in-kelowna/it104605

Vancouver Football Club and the City of Kelowna have a big announcement planned this week but very few details have been released.

The soccer club issued an invitation to media today, May 6, to attend the announcement the evening of Wednesday, May 8. The event is by invitation only at BNA Brewing Co.

Vancouver FC vice president of marketing Stephanie Wood said officials from the club, the Canadian Premier League and the City of Kelowna will be in attendance...

If I were in charge, I would schedule two matches between VFC and Cavalry, early July and maybe early September after school is back in session. Better to find out now what the temps, smoke, and realistic expected crowds could be before possibly investing in there further. Two different windows, though, and two different days of the week. Fine to promote through local soccer groups but no school freebies as you'd want to find out who might genuinely pay for this product.