Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Langley looking like they'll be improved. I think other teams will be improved as well but some good moves so far

I think Davie Norman would bring them to 5 former Pacific players confirmed, while Pacific only has 3 players announced for next season

My usual philosophy for players is "if you're in Europe, stay in Europe." But I'm not sure I can argue with a player choosing to leave the League of Ireland to come home. Too bad he'll miss out on playing Europe next year though.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

My usual philosophy for players is "if you're in Europe, stay in Europe." But I'm not sure I can argue with a player choosing to leave the League of Ireland to come home. Too bad he'll miss out on playing Europe next year though.

It is a bit surprising. His last game was in front of 40k people. I think his team qualified for Europe as well. But interesting. Probably one of the highest paid players in the league 

Edited by SpursFlu

In 2 years at Cavalry Norman went from highly touted CB who could potentially break into the national team to a player most people didn't want to see in the starting lineup. A lot of that was due to being played out of position at fullback but he really never lived up to the hype in Calgary.

Another example of a promising player who's development really suffered being on the fringes of an MLS squad during key development years with not enough opportunity to get minutes at a lower level. There's a player there for sure, and he'll be a good pickup for Vancouver, but I don't think he starts on a team contending for a championship. If he's coming back to CPL at this stage of his career then CPL is his ceiling.

Edited by shermanator

^^^Laughable stuff. A player needs to be 18 before FIFA rules will allow an international transfer of player registration between two professional clubs in Canada and the Netherlands. Feyenoord wouldn't be able to sign him until the transfer window immediately prior to the 2025-26 season so it's way too early even for a pre-contract type deal.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Wasn't his brother playing for Canada at the U17 qualifiers?

I wasn't aware that he had a brother playing for Canada youth, maybe you're confusing him with Liam Mackenzie who played with him at Whitecaps

34 minutes ago, phresh said:

I wasn't aware that he had a brother playing for Canada youth, maybe you're confusing him with Liam Mackenzie who played with him at Whitecaps

Oh ok that's who I was thinking about

This is the future for the CPL. Sign the best young players in Canada and then if everything goes according to plan make that transfer money. MLS system doesn't gell with the football world as well as CPL does and doesn't provide the opportunities for teenagers 

Edited by SpursFlu