Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 4/12/2024 at 8:37 AM, narduch said:

Kinda hoping they can beat Cavalry in the Voyageurs Cup and they can face off

Have they declared who is hosting that game?

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Ah yes. Forgot about that.

Which would create a very interesting atmosphere during both games. I'm pretty sure an easy sellout in Langley. Probably a 50/50 cheering interest. Really wouldn't know what to expect at BC Place

In Europe and elsewhere, do "away" fans but their tickets from their own club who have been given an allotment?  Will be interesting to see how both sides handle this (if it happens). Hate to see the Events Centre full of caps fans, but certainly would expect a section.  And would love to go to bc place as part of VFC section. If it happens of course. 

I know York played TFC and am not sure how it went. But seeing Vancouver v Vancouver on the ticker would add a layer of intrigue not seen in Canada I suspect. 

Edited by RJB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

In Europe and elsewhere, do "away" fans but their tickets from their own club who have been given an allotment?  Will be interesting to see how both sides handle this (if it happens). Hate to see the Events Centre full of caps fans, but certainly would expect a section.  And would love to go to bc place as part of VFC section. If it happens of course. 

I know York played TFC and am not sure how it went. But seeing Vancouver v Vancouver on the ticker would add a layer of intrigue not seen in Canada I suspect. 

I'm sure Langley would have a section for the away supporters groups, just like Vancouver would have one for travelling fans as well.  And I'm sure both clubs would be stopping away fans from sitting in their home supporters sections.  But as for anything outside of that, I don't think there's much they'd do.

7 hours ago, RJB said:

In Europe and elsewhere, do "away" fans but their tickets from their own club who have been given an allotment?  ...

With the exception of a few zealots I suspect the majority of VFC fans would also classify themselves as Whitecaps fans. What sort of sports fan would you be if you can stop supporting the club that's been around in one form or another for 50 years representing your local area and suddenly start cheering vociferously against them for a club that's been around for under 2 years? Impossible to police in other words.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I think basically everyone supports both to a certain degree. But something funny starts to happen when you put everyone in one stadium and you have to cheer for someone. I think the situation will be unique to sports in the Lower Mainland. If it happens I'm genuinely curious to see how it plays out. 

On 4/3/2024 at 2:35 PM, red card said:

Switching from the Dark Side to Cherry Blossoms.

The Cherry Blossom kit must a be hot seller. The amount of the alternate kits in the stadium today way outnumbered the primary. It looks just as sharp in person as it does in the photos.

35 minutes ago, masster said:

The Cherry Blossom kit must a be hot seller. The amount of the alternate kits in the stadium today way outnumbered the primary. It looks just as sharp in person as it does in the photos.

Agreed. It looked good on pretty much every age and body type...no small feat.

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think since this stadium gets really hot in the Summer it should be nicknamed DeathValley. Already need hat and sun glasses

Ties in with the Darkside theme nicely, too.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm really enjoying the "people from the Fraser Valley complaining about the weather" subtext we've seen since the club started.

Lol I wasn't complaining. Just looking for a way to work in my stadium name idea. 

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Lol I wasn't complaining. Just looking for a way to work in my stadium name idea. 

I'm just chiding, I'm amused that the weather problem for Vancouver is that from April to October it's too hot (when I went last summer, both times it was indeed frying, a bit of shade would have been nice).

By the way, just curious: how many home games last year were plagued by rain?

58 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm just chiding, I'm amused that the weather problem for Vancouver is that from April to October it's too hot (when I went last summer, both times it was indeed frying, a bit of shade would have been nice).

By the way, just curious: how many home games last year were plagued by rain?

Not many.. just a couple at the end of the season I think

I can't take it any more.  It's been in my head all day and I need to know.

What's the eagle's name?

Is it a he?  Is it a she?  Can we turn the answer into a drinking game?

(Phefff.  What am I saying?  "Can we?".  Of course we can.)

https://northerntribune.ca/2024-canadian-championship-cavalry-vancouver-preview/

Afshin also revealed that while the team travelled two days before away matches last year, he has adjusted the club’s travel plans for year two: Vancouver will now travel only the day before a match, with some exceptions for early afternoon games.

“I feel that the longer they can stay at home in their own beds, with their own families and their own friends, the more comfortable they are, and we can train on our own pitch. The depth in our team is quite special compared to last season, so we can travel the day before and perform well.”

Interesting tidbit at the end of this article: saving money on hotels to send a full complement of subs perhaps?