Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 3/21/2024 at 7:54 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Everyone over on the Valour thread seems to think its a loss for them and a win for VFC.

That is not how I'd characterize my remarks on that thread.

Put it this way: Dyer wouldn't sniff a start for Forge or Cavalry. For a bottom tier team like Valour or Vancouver he can be an important piece but the fact he flamed out of a better league (USL Championship) is maybe telling.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

That is not how I'd characterize my remarks on that thread.

Put it this way: Dyer wouldn't sniff a start for Forge or Cavalry. For a bottom tier team like Valour or Vancouver he can be an important piece but the fact he flamed out of a better league (USL Championship) is maybe telling.

It looks like he did pretty well? Started most matches and had 4 goals and 6 assists in 29 matches 

10 hours ago, Aird25 said:

It looks like he did pretty well? Started most matches and had 4 goals and 6 assists in 29 matches 

Depends on your perspective I guess. Walter Ponce was sent packing by Valour after the 2023 season for scoring the same number of goals in half as many minutes.

Dyer already left CPL once for a better deal so normally you'd think if Tulsa had wanted him back he would have stayed. Perhaps Vancouver is really stepping to the play financially on this deal.

This sounds a little strange but it seems like Vancouver fc have stock piled too many players. You'd think Tahid and Cameron might be gone in the summer

Side note.. those jerseys with the blood red accents actually look really sharp. Didn't like at first

Edited by SpursFlu

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

This sounds a little strange but it seems like Vancouver fc have stock piled too many players. You'd think Tahid and Cameron might be gone in the summer

Side note.. those jerseys with the blood red accents actually look really sharp. Didn't like at first

Agreed. The starting 11 last night looked on paper (and in result) to be quite experienced, perhaps a mid-table CPL side, by all appearances. And Bitar was still away at WCQ I think, and neither Verhoeven nor Fry started (correct?). The young guys, even the most hyped ones, will likely not see many starts and might have very limited minutes overall the way the logjam looks to me. Hopefully, some have their next destination in mind already which  as you said, might explain the sheer numbers.  I mean, iI guess it's a good problem to have, really.

For me they stocked up on a lot of solid B level mid and late career players, without necessarily signing any real A Level blue chip impact CPL players.

Should be a vastly more competitive squad, though, especially if the manager can get the best out of the sum of the parts most matchdays.

I don't know why you'd want to pay for both Giantsopoulos and Irving if you're only going to play one of them but that will create competition for that position. I think Vancouver is improved from last season, but I don't know that they've stockpiled too many players. Hopefully they're more competitive this year

Weird offseason for Giantsopoulos.

Turns down a contract to remain the starter at York. Unsuccessful trial with Cavalry for the backup role, the one he left 3 years ago to try and be a starter with York. Rumoured to have an offer from Finland that didn't go through. Then trial with Vancouver for the backup role.