Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, nolando said:

Screenshot_20240213_205045_Chrome.thumb.jpg.012eb7cb8d9d1ed9ef39c75da48b99f4.jpg

I've heard that ICSF want to have BCSPL teams in the near future. Maybe having Niall on board is part of the vision.

Well, that's one mystery, going from an assistant coach to a full time TD.  And the other assistant?

28 minutes ago, nolando said:

Screenshot_20240213_205045_Chrome.thumb.jpg.012eb7cb8d9d1ed9ef39c75da48b99f4.jpg

I've heard that ICSF want to have BCSPL teams in the near future. Maybe having Niall on board is part of the vision.

Don't these guys have an office at the Langley Events Center?

It caught my eye one day because I thought langley was a bit of a strange place for the Italian Canadian Sports Federation 

Edited by SpursFlu

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Don't these guys have an office at the Langley Events Center?

It caught my eye one day because I thought langley was a bit of a strange place for the Italian Canadian Sports Federation 

No idea. But that would be strange, indeed.

The job title doesn’t exactly scream taking time off, though. Haha. This damn game is a drug I tell you!

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've never heard of the ICSF, who are they? Do they run clubs, other sports besides football?

They are, or at least were in the '80s and '90s, on Grandview Highway, not far from Van Tech. The soccer club is/was affiliated with the Italian Cultural Centre, where they used to host a lot of weddings and such, I believe.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

They are, or at least were in the '80s and '90s, on Grandview Highway, not far from Van Tech. The soccer club is/was affiliated with the Italian Cultural Centre, where they used to host a lot of weddings and such, I believe.

But you are not talking about the Italian Cultural Centre, but a different organisation?

I stand to be corrected but wasn't Colombus started by an ex Whitecaps player who went on the be a pretty successful business guy. It was an alternative to Inter which was around longer and I think is now merged with a Latin American club. Both still in VMSL prem but I think Inter is now more Latin American than Italian. Columbus seems revitalized but I think neither have anything to do with this Italian sports federation thing. I've never heard of them other that an office space next to the boce field at Langley Events Center. I think

Edited by SpursFlu

While I may have the affiliation thing wrong, I can unequivocally say that ICSF was an active club, at least at youth level, in the '80s/'90s. I played for Cliff Ave, and our teams played in the Three Districts Association. The Three Districts was comprised of Burnaby, Vancouver, and the North Shore. The list of clubs we regularly played were Norburn/Burnaby Heights, Wesburn, SBMC, and Edmonds (Burnaby), Grandview Legion, ICSF, KLM, and Dunbar (Vancouver), North Van, West Van, and Lynn Valley (North Shore). I'm probably missing quite a few, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head after a few decades.

28 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Key word "or"

To me an arena makes more sense because the region lacks that size for concerts. The big question is the anchor tenant. You either got the Giants for the arena or Vancouver fc for the stadium. 

I also wouldn't rule out the Whitecaps sniffing around for an opportunity. Surrey and Vancouver are officially no longer playing nice since Vancouver didn't back them on the RCMP thing. I think if Surrey could lure the Lions and Whitecaps away from Vancouver they would. 

Either way very good news

Edited by SpursFlu

This article seems to provide more detail. 2 locations are to become entertainment hubs. Cloverdale Fairgrounds and area which is now BC Lions training facility in City Center. Already talking to a "semi professional" sports team. Opposition party says it should be at least  20k seats 

At the very least Vancouver FC has a bit of leverage with Langley now. On another development note. I read Langley plans to build an auditorium on the site of Langley Events Center so they've got their own entertainment hub going

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vancouversun.com/news/surrey-mayor-announces-plan-for-12000-seat-stadium-two-new-entertainment-districts/wcm/47867f68-4c51-498c-93ca-ba926ecad01f/amp/

Edited by SpursFlu