Moise Bombito

phresh

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I agree that he had his best performance yesterday, so why was he subbed out? 

IIRC he was subbed out after both McGraw & Miller picked up their second yellow of the tourney, and my guess is that Herdman may have had one eye on not losing Bombito (also on a yellow) for the semis as he likely would likely have played in the back three with both those guys gone in the semis.

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

The funny thing is if Colorado starts using Bombito the way Herdman does that will mean even less minutes for Priso

And so be it. What I don't want is for Priso to be outplaying Bombito at Colorado and getting passed over just to get Bombito reps with Canada.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

And so be it. What I don't want is for Priso to be outplaying Bombito at Colorado and getting passed over just to get Bombito reps with Canada.

Only getting garbage minutes or starts due to injuries/suspensions isn't getting you to Europe let alone a Canada call up.  He won't be outplaying Bombito anytime soon.

9 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Development and developmental pathways are interesting and no player is the same.  We've been talking about Priso for 4 years now and he is still 2 years younger than Bombito who has become our newest "Prized" player.  

Ahmed is the same age as Bombito and he is also valued in a similar way.  They aren't "kids" in that sense.  The difference with Bombito compared to Priso is that he has had only 1/2 a season as a professional thus far, so you maybe can see a potential "soccer growth spurt" in some parts of his game, maybe not. 

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

He clearly has the physical tools but at 23, it can’t be good for his development that he’s played 4 different positions in his first season as a pro. It doesn’t seem like there is a clear plan for him with Colorado or with Canada. 

I think there was a plan for Canada, just not sure it was the right one.

At this point at least.

1 hour ago, FC_Hali said:

He clearly has the physical tools but at 23, it can’t be good for his development that he’s played 4 different positions in his first season as a pro. It doesn’t seem like there is a clear plan for him with Colorado or with Canada. 

I agree.

The counter point is that its his first season as a pro so getting him on the field is more important than limiting his role to one position and having him sit on the bench. Once he gets a season under his belt and feels comfortable with the speed of play, he should lock down a starting role.  

Based on the reports of his long term future at CM, it makes sense to help him adjust to MLS life as a fullback or outside CB where he can see the field easier and will typically have a bit more time for his decision making and can utilize his athleticism more effectively to cover any positional mistakes. If my explanation is true, then the positional variety hes experiencing could be a weird roundabout way to prepare him for life as a CDM.

Think of gvardiol playing LB for city currently. Hes obviously going to be a long term CB but until he catches up to the demands of the prem and city, hes getting minutes in a different role. 

33 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Herdman tries to bring him to TFC. He clearly rates him very high and would probably be a pretty cheap project to try him at CB or even CM. JH certainly seems like he has a clearer vision for him than Colorado does

If Herdman really wants him, I would not be surprise if TFC dangles their pick in the Superdraft to get him.

33 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

We can squabble over herdman having favourites but atiba endorsing bombito is quite telling. Hes got a higher ceiling than most CB's in our squad.

For sure. I personally have no doubt Bombito has a high ceiling, which is why he was included in both squads over the summer, which I was okay with, but the rub for me is that NT should not be about development. When Bombito was starting, especially at midfielder, it felt like development to me. 

He had some shocking turnovers in midfield at the Gold Cup and looked very uncomfortable. He also looked very decent, dare I say good, against the USA in the biggest game of the tournament. 

It'll be very interesting what happens to Bombito at the NT level. I think Herdman was unafraid to use the NT as development because 1. he's a developer and 2. he's done that with the CWNT - because he managed them in an era where club soccer wasn't doing the development for him.

Now Bombito is tied and although he's doing alright at Colorado, he's not exactly lighting MLS on fire. Does he get into the Japan game ahead of McGraw or Vitoria? He probably shouldn't. Johnston? Not going to happen. Do we drop a LCB? Miller is probably a lock and Cornelius definitely deserves a recall. Kennedy we could make a case, but he seems to be having a good season in Austria and is certainly playing more minutes than Bombito. The league may be somewhat weaker, but the club is probably on par with Colorado, if not stronger. And that aside Kennedy is part of the core and may not even be the player Bombito is competing with. 

Anyways, looking forward to seeing what happens there with Herdman out. 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just don’t know why we would be trying to recreate him as a midfielder.  We need skilled, ball-playing defenders.  We can’t bank on the current pool of CBs so I don’t see any reason why we wouldn’t let him find his role at club level and then use him in that capacity.   

Our midfield depth, especially DM, is not great either. Bombito developing at either position could be a big asset.

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just don’t know why we would be trying to recreate him as a midfielder.  We need skilled, ball-playing defenders.  We can’t bank on the current pool of CBs so I don’t see any reason why we wouldn’t let him find his role at club level and then use him in that capacity.   

I think it is because Bombito has excellent athleticism and ball winning potential, both in the tackle and in the air. He's very good on the ball so you see that profile and think hmm....Eustaquio, Kone.....Bombito? In theory it could be a very difficult midfield to play against. Plus we have creativity from the wings and finishers up top, so midfield creativity not so important? That's what I assume the coaching staff thinks of Bombito in midfield - the defensive shield of the future. 

Personally though I agree with you that we should let his club role dictate his NT role. There are moments where you play a guy in a different role for the national team, but this isn't one of them. I think it's way too early in his career for it. At least that's how I feel in this moment.  

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Our midfield depth, especially DM, is not great either. Bombito developing at either position could be a big asset.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I think it is because Bombito has excellent athleticism and ball winning potential, both in the tackle and in the air. He's very good on the ball so you see that profile and think hmm....Eustaquio, Kone.....Bombito? In theory it could be a very difficult midfield to play against. Plus we have creativity from the wings and finishers up top, so midfield creativity not so important? That's what I assume the coaching staff thinks of Bombito in midfield - the defensive shield of the future. 

Personally though I agree with you that we should let his club role dictate his NT role. There are moments where you play a guy in a different role for the national team, but this isn't one of them. I think it's way too early in his career for it. At least that's how I feel in this moment.  

I get it.  He would be a great option.  I just don’t see any downside to have a CB with all of the attributes he has.  It can be a pretty big deal to have a CB that is not just big/physical but can also play the ball and spring an attack.  

To be honest, I suspect my exasperation comes from the fact that I have coached kids for the last 7 or 8 years were everyone with an inkling of skill wants to play in attack and you are left with clunky, awkward kids stuck playing defence.  It is an overly simplistic view to think that excellent ball skills aren’t important attributes for elite defenders.  

I get it.  He would be a great option.  I just don’t see any downside to have a CB with all of the attributes he has.  It can be a pretty big deal to have a CB that is not just big/physical but can also play the ball and spring an attack.  

To be honest, I suspect my exasperation comes from the fact that I have coached kids for the last 7 or 8 years were everyone with an inkling of skill wants to play in attack and you are left with clunky, awkward kids stuck playing defence.  It is an overly simplistic view to think that excellent ball skills aren’t important attributes for elite defenders.  

Fair point. I was one of those that ended up playing defense most years in youth soccer. Not because I had no skill, but because I didn't complain about it.

That said, I am surprised how rigidly most professionals end up playing one or two positions only, not just within a season but also over the course of a long career where physiological changes might suggest a change in role. 

I think we all appreciate that Bombito can be an elite defender because he has those excellent ball skills. At least that's how I see it. Whether he develops as a midfielder or defender I fully support it, I just don't the development happening with the National Team. It's okay if it's a friendly, but it almost cost us in the Gold Cup group stage and that tournament should be about winning, not development. If there's a throw away game then fine, but not when it's all to play for and you need results like we did.

*I realize the states used GC as a giant development opportunity, but they've won it 7 times and are so deep they can afford to, but even then guys were played in position.