Moise Bombito

phresh

24 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I find the MLS draft is more of a crapshoot, compared to drafts in other sports.

It feels like you can find a diamond in the rough at any point of this draft. But most players who are drafted struggle to find playing time.

The quality level is simply too high in comparison. It's a major leap, it's not like basketball or American football where a senior in NCAA could be more than ready. Because the college competition level is a major step down...

NCAA basketball doesn't have "by far" the best 18-22s in the world, but probably the best, slightly over the sum of all European junior pros. In comparison, NCAA soccer teams would likely be relegated to a 6th or 7th tier amateur league in England or Spain.  

It isn't even a top 25 u23  league in world terms.

We've seen a similar scenario with CPL and the USports draft, most of those kids aren't at all ready.

Who's the most successful USports draftee in CPL history?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The quality level is simply too high in comparison. It's a major leap, it's not like basketball or American football where a senior in NCAA could be more than ready. Because the college competition level is a major step down...

NCAA basketball doesn't have "by far" the best 18-22s in the world, but probably the best, slightly over the sum of all European junior pros. In comparison, NCAA soccer teams would likely be relegated to a 6th or 7th tier amateur league in England or Spain.  

We've seen a similar scenario with CPL and the USports draft, most of those kids aren't at all ready.

Waterman is obviously the most successful usports draftee.  Clearly an exception to the rule though.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Metusala and Sissoko on Forge were drafted. Both are regular starters.

Edited by Cicero

NCAA is a backup plan for players who haven't gotten picked up by a good club as teeangers- you go that route because there's some chance you develop over 3-4 years into a future pro, but if not, you also got yourself an all expenses paid bachelor's degree at an American college. The guys who got drafted yesterday are all around the same age as Alphonso Davies, for example- many players take massive leaps between 18-22, but since soccer players develop much younger than in the other big North American sports, most bonafide studs have either been identified by MLS clubs or European teams way before the D1 schools come knocking.

I wonder if there's a strong negative correlation between years spent in NCAA and success at the pro level. I'm looking at the top 10 picks from the 2019 draft, and most of the players who spent 3 years in the NCAA are now in the USL. The only player from those 10 to move to europe is Tajon who played two years at Syracuse. Some exceptions there, but it seems once a player is 21 or 22 in the MLS draft, it becomes an absolute crapshoot.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Gloire Amanda was a Heisman Trophy winner, went to Austria and hasn't done anything. Mind you, has been injured. He's 24. 

The level of NCAA is low and if you leave as a senior you have to start pro development at age 22. Too late.

Perhaps CPL is more manageable for the U-Sports guys.

Hermann.

Him winning the Heisman would be reason #1 for him not doing well in Austria as I think straight arms to the face generally get you some colour of card.

59 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

NCAA is a backup plan for players who haven't gotten picked up by a good club as teeangers- you go that route because there's some chance you develop over 3-4 years into a future pro, but if not, you also got yourself an all expenses paid bachelor's degree at an American college.

And you see the growing numbers of European pro club academy graduates heading to both US and Canadian colleges.  Getting the ducks in a row with your life's work is probably the higher priority at this stage.

55 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Hermann.

Him winning the Heisman would be reason #1 for him not doing well in Austria as I think straight arms to the face generally get you some colour of card.

I guess I should have checked that. 

So are they going to eventually call the best U-Sport player the Herdman Trophy?

Quick interview from the Rapids site:

https://www.coloradorapids.com/video/interview-no-3-superdraft-pick-moise-bombito-reacts-to-being-drafted-to-the-rapi#interview-no-3-superdraft-pick-moise-bombito-reacts-to-being-drafted-to-the-rapi

Not sure if it has been mentioned but his nickname is Moist Bomb! Can't wait to see that on the back of a Canadian jersey.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

All players develop differently so I'm not really gonna knock someone who does 4 years of school and then goes pro.

It's not a knock- if Bombito's career bombs (hah), he still earned himself a free college education that he can use to go and start the rest of his life, and with that in your back pocket, if it doesn't work in MLS, go and travel through Europe- spend a couple years playing in Serie D and hanging out in Italy, doesn't matter, you can retire at 27 and start your next career.

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

Quick interview from the Rapids site:

https://www.coloradorapids.com/video/interview-no-3-superdraft-pick-moise-bombito-reacts-to-being-drafted-to-the-rapi#interview-no-3-superdraft-pick-moise-bombito-reacts-to-being-drafted-to-the-rapi

Not sure if it has been mentioned but his nickname is Moist Bomb! Can't wait to see that on the back of a Canadian jersey.

Our players get plenty of those from Honduran fans when we play in Honduras. Guess we are hoping to give one back.

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned but his nickname is Moist Bomb!

🤣🤣 That was just the automatically  generated subtitles being 💩. He never says that.

His name is Moise. As in the biblical prophet. Moses in English.

Pronounced MOH-EEZ.

Will be able to part the opposition's attack like Moses parted the Red Sea? ;)

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

🤣🤣 That was just the automatically  generated subtitles being 💩. He never says that.

I actually thought that was what the interviewer was calling him. Isn't the french pronunciation with a 'z' sound?

I watched it again and I'm still hearing moist!

35 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I actually thought that was what the interviewer was calling him. Isn't the french pronunciation with a 'z' sound?

I watched it again and I'm still hearing moist!

Yes, she is an American and doesn't get the pronunciation right going with something like a fast and muffled MO-EE-SAH instead of MOH-EEZ.

The auto captions failed spectacularly.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

16 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yes, she is an American and doesn't get the pronunciation right going with something like a fast and muffled MO-EE-SAH instead of MOH-EEZ.

The auto captions failed spectacularly.

Actually, I thought I heard her say moist with the "t" a couple of times. I shut off the subtitling. No matter how American she is with her pronunciation, there is no "t" in his name. Then it hit me. She was probably referring to herself.

Edited by Sal333

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Caught the second half and, wow, this guy has the potential to become a top, top defender. Big, quick feet, moves well, good passer, strong in the air, and made defending 1v1 look easy. The broadcast team were very complimentary of him. Only thing missing is experience. I believe he was injured, so he’s only being rotated into the team now but apparently Robin Fraser is very high on him. Was also pleased to see that he played as a right-sided CB, which IIRC he played mostly on the left side in college. One to keep an eye on!