Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

7 hours ago, RJB said:

The email that they sent made it clear that no tickets are required.  Free game.

Seems weird to open it to fans. Won't it take away from the home opener? Surely you want the first experience for the fans to be then not at a likely not quite finished stadium?

I think the game is being played at an adjacent turf field to where the stadium is being built. A few weeks ago I pulled in to see the progress of the stadium and the team was actually running a scrimmage on a field on the other side of the parking lot. That's also why it's free to the public.. there are several community fields that anyone can walk up and access at any time

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the game is being played at an adjacent turf field to where the stadium is being built. A few weeks ago I pulled in to see the progress of the stadium and the team was actually running a scrimmage on a field on the other side of the parking lot. That's also why it's free to the public.. there are several community fields that anyone can walk up and access at any time

Yes, just to the south in the same complex.

On 3/16/2023 at 11:00 PM, nolando said:

Screenshot_20230316_225504_Instagram.thumb.jpg.93a4ab04e41e98260d468092a1f0692d.jpg

Thanks for posting. I made my way out there for a portion of the game and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of people that were there watching. Whether they were mainly season ticket holders or people who just happened to be at the park/fields, I don't know.

For those that are interested, the drive from downtown Vancouver to LEC took me only 40 minutes with no traffic.

The weather was perfect. 16 degrees and sunny. It felt like a late spring day. That made me realize the stadium could be a real point of differentiation for this team. Despite the open roof, nobody really wants to go sit inside BC Place when the weather is nice. If the stadium is comfortable with some decent amenities, there will be a decent portion of the crowd that will show up just to have a beer outside when the weather is nice.

9 hours ago, masster said:

Thanks for posting. I made my way out there for a portion of the game and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of people that were there watching. Whether they were mainly season ticket holders or people who just happened to be at the park/fields, I don't know.

For those that are interested, the drive from downtown Vancouver to LEC took me only 40 minutes with no traffic.

The weather was perfect. 16 degrees and sunny. It felt like a late spring day. That made me realize the stadium could be a real point of differentiation for this team. Despite the open roof, nobody really wants to go sit inside BC Place when the weather is nice. If the stadium is comfortable with some decent amenities, there will be a decent portion of the crowd that will show up just to have a beer outside when the weather is nice.

Yes, the weather was just about as good as you could have asked for. Lots of young Langley and Surrey United players, which is great to see, and which obviously builds a nice foundation.

In hindsight, it would have been the perfect day, opponent, and venue for their big jersey release. Instead they are doing it in Richmond this Saturday evening vs local semi-pro side FC Tigers. I have a feeling the weather will be grim (admittedly not their fault) and the turnout equally unsatisfying, perhaps a missed opportunity.

FqPqarfXgAY5EwO.thumb.jpeg.09c008ee25c5d16aedf0a16fed30807c.jpeg

Screenshot_20230320_213754_Instagram.thumb.jpg.e57173ab69e59a586a288b65e124cdad.jpg

Edited by nolando

52 minutes ago, masster said:

The timing of the kit launch is a little disappointing considering the national team game will still be on.

This too. I will already be out that way with my son's team  but otherwise may not have made the trek, tbh.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:16 PM, masster said:

Heard it was about 500-700 people, as a rough estimate.

Great turnout in Richmond. Tigers going toe to toe...probably 750 ppl here at least.

Weather turned nice at just the right time.

Very well handled by VFC and host Fusion. Tonnes of freebies, shirts and glowsticks. Lots of merchandise for sale. Reminiscent of a nice night at Swangard.

Edited by nolando

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I have a suspicion this team will exceed expectations 

Not sure how I feel about the Flamengo kits but excited for things to get going

I think these look sharp, personally. And I have low expectations for this team. I think for year one, it would be realistic to be competitive most matchdays but definitely near the bottom of the table.

Screenshot_20230325_223720_Instagram.jpg

1 hour ago, nolando said:

I was pretty impressed with the 15-year-old TJ Tahid, who nearly scored late in the second half and who made the most of his minutes. Spoke to him briefly after the match and he has the confidence and composure of a guy a few years older. I think we'll be seeing some special things from him down the road.

The kid even has a website:

TJ Tahid