The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

14 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Oh man I remember how pissed off some posters were around here towards JDG when the CSA screwed over the Fury and he defended his club.  Guess he's back in the good books?

Simcoe Rovers play in L1O that is owned by CSB and have CanPL aspirations so he isn't going to rock the boat.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Simcoe Rovers play in L1O that is owned by CSB and have CanPL aspirations so he isn't going to rock the boat.

He won't be endearing himself to the current group of national team players with his comments.  No need for him to weigh in on the situation.  

On 12/11/2023 at 5:09 PM, Ivan said:

Wheeler fills in for the afternoon show host role on TSN radio every so often.

Apologies for quoting myself, but further to the "TSN blackballing Onesoccer hosts" , Andi Petrillo is cohosting on Overdrive today.

21 hours ago, Ivan said:

Apologies for quoting myself, but further to the "TSN blackballing Onesoccer hosts" , Andi Petrillo is cohosting on Overdrive today.

You may quote yourself any time you like, my friend.  You've earned it in my books.

Speaking of Andi, when are she and at-loose-ends hubby Conway going to start a show together on One Soccer, with a Kristen Bell and Dax Shepherd vibe to it?

• 2 months later...

According to a Deloitte study, not just Canada Soccer is facing financial challenges. Nearly all 61 national sport orgs are facing a funding crisis since federal government monies has remained unchanged since 2005. Australia's government contributes 2x more funding while the U.K. government funds 3x the amount of Canada.

Deloiite says government funding needs to increase by $104 million/yr to avoid program/services cut backs. Otherwise, deficit for sport orgs is forecasted to be $134 million in 5 years.

Articles didn't specifically mention Soccer Canada likely because they're not part of the 90% of sport orgs that rely on government funding as their primary source of revenue.

It did note Cycling Canada and Climbing Canada have already laid off staff. Canada Basketball says it's questionable if they can afford to send NBA players to the 2028 Olympics. 52% of Canada Basketball's 2021 $10m budget was provided by the government. This year, it will be 28% of their $16m budget.

Alt strategy is to follow Volleyball Canada which shifted to a for-profit model in 2018. So now players on youth teams teams pay $8-10k/yr to be on the national team.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/basketball/olympics-canada-nso-funding-basketball-folo-1.7134686

1 hour ago, red card said:

According to a Deloitte study, not just Canada Soccer is facing financial challenges. Nearly all 61 national sport orgs are facing a funding crisis since federal government monies has remained unchanged since 2005. Australia's government contributes 2x more funding while the U.K. government funds 3x the amount of Canada.

Deloiite says government funding needs to increase by $104 million/yr to avoid program/services cut backs. Otherwise, deficit for sport orgs is forecasted to be $134 million in 5 years.

Articles didn't specifically mention Soccer Canada likely because they're not part of the 90% of sport orgs that rely on government funding as their primary source of revenue.

It did note Cycling Canada and Climbing Canada have already laid off staff. Canada Basketball says it's questionable if they can afford to send NBA players to the 2028 Olympics. 52% of Canada Basketball's 2021 $10m budget was provided by the government. This year, it will be 28% of their $16m budget.

Alt strategy is to follow Volleyball Canada which shifted to a for-profit model in 2018. So now players on youth teams teams pay $8-10k/yr to be on the national team.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/basketball/olympics-canada-nso-funding-basketball-folo-1.7134686

CBC should tag Rick Westhead. Tongue and cheek, but seriously, no increase since 2005 😪

8 hours ago, johnyb said:

CBC should tag Rick Westhead. Tongue and cheek, but seriously, no increase since 2005 😪

No but seriously. TSN is supposed to be an apolitical sports advocate, right? Why not chase stories that rise all ships? It’s because TSN is going the way of MTV. 

Was it this thread people talking about government wasting money? Didn't we give Bell media 200 million so they wouldn't have to fire anyone? How did that workout? I guess we should have given them 400 million 

53 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No but seriously. TSN is supposed to be an apolitical sports advocate, right? Why not chase stories that rise all ships? It’s because TSN is going the way of MTV. 

In what world is TSN supposed to be apolitical? They're the polar opposite of something like CBC. Their mandate is to make money.

Edited by Mihairokov

48 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

In what world is TSN supposed to be apolitical? They're the polar opposite of something like CBC. Their mandate is to make money.

The question is a rhetorical. I don’t disagree with you but their stated public mandate would be to promote sports. If they were asked they would never say “we’re here to make money” because as @SpursFlupoints out, they do receive some kickbacks. It’s all this bullshit misdirected corporate social responsibility while having no actual interest in influencing matters that could rise all ships. 

Should TSN not be questioning why Toronto is going to have the worst stadium in recent World Cup memory? They’re sooner to take the position that the cost is too much. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

I am admittedly out of the loop on this subject

I saw the below posted, is any of it true?

The CSA entered into an agreement with a sporting company, which took a well over 50% of the World cup money. All of their players on the Men and Women's set up are still owed. And there's many people who are still waiting on checks from the CSA.

20 hours ago, johnyb said:

Some of you are weirdly obsessed with that dude, but not enough to check his Twitter account and notice that he filed this story a day before CP/CBC did.

https://www.tsn.ca/other-sports/rick-westhead-new-report-says-nsos-need-104-million-increase-in-annual-funding-to-avoid-crisis-1.2084609

37 minutes ago, RS said:

Some of you are weirdly obsessed with that dude, but not enough to check his Twitter account and notice that he filed this story a day before CP/CBC did.

https://www.tsn.ca/other-sports/rick-westhead-new-report-says-nsos-need-104-million-increase-in-annual-funding-to-avoid-crisis-1.2084609

Easier to attack the messenger as opposed to looking at what he's reporting.  Hence he is the boogie man.

8 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

The CSA entered into an agreement with a sporting company, which took a well over 50% of the World cup money. All of their players on the Men and Women's set up are still owed. And there's many people who are still waiting on checks from the CSA.

I'm not sure where that's coming from, but from what I recall it's well established that the CSB deal has nothing to do with prize money 

9 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

This is false. The world cup money went straight to CSA NOT CSB. The disbursement still hasnt happened as the men, women and CSA havent agreed to a CBA. It's tough to make a payment when you dont know how much to pay. 

So far Kevin Blue has made a statement about the CMNT coaching job, gone to a CWNT game, and perhaps played a role in getting us a high profile team as an opponent for a friendly. Let's see if he can get a deal struck with the players before his first official day as well😄

1 hour ago, Kent said:

So far Kevin Blue has made a statement about the CMNT coaching job, gone to a CWNT game, and perhaps played a role in getting us a high profile team as an opponent for a friendly. Let's see if he can get a deal struck with the players before his first official day as well😄

you forgot that he got koleosho and mitrovic to join CMNT. This guy is magic!  

I kid of course but the signs are positive for everythign CMNT related. 

Friendlys - check
youth programs - u 20s doing good so far
CMNT players - best weekend in a while 
New Secretary 
Coach on the horizon possibly?
Secretary is known for increasing funding 
Hope for renegotiating parts of the CSB deal? Maybe? 

Obviously theres a long way to go but this is the most optimistic day for CMNT fans since the shit hit the fan when westhead released the CSB article

• 2 weeks later...

Kloke's Athletic provides some details on the players structure to deal with off-pitch issues.

In the fall, the men’s team organized a vote for a new bargaining committee. Johnston, Jonathan Osorio, Junior Hoilett and Dayne St. Clair were elected, with St. Clair, 26, being chosen to voice concerns from the team’s younger players.

There is a separate group of player representatives that keep the men’s team updated on other matters, which includes Samuel Piette and Mark-Anthony Kaye. 

Some of the team’s higher-profile players took a backseat in negotiations. “For some of our guys who football is their life, this isn’t the priority for them,” Johnston said. “And I completely understand that.”

Over the past 18 months, there’s been quite a few black clouds swirling over both our program and the women’s national team,” Johnston admitted. “It’s been tiring. It’s eaten up a lot of time off the pitch as well. It felt like every month there was another window, another difficult match and just something going on that everyone (in the men’s team) became a little tired. And I think that the public became tired of it as well. The same old story over and over again. And we don’t want to be that.”

“No matter what the negotiations come to, we have to be playing in these big tournaments for it to be beneficial to Canada Soccer and just the country and the sport in the country in general,” Johnston said. “If we’re not playing in these big tournaments, it doesn’t matter what the negotiations are. So we can have our full focus on that.”

“(2023) probably brought a lot more headlines to our team about that kind of stuff rather than what’s going on on the pitch,” said Johnston. “And then to top it off, I don’t think our on-pitch results were good enough.”

“It’s been a bit sticky over the past couple of months,” Johnston said. “We’ve realized that maybe we took things a little too close to international windows and potentially that puts some questions over some players’ heads. And it just made everything a little murky going into the big matches. We’ve really decided we’re going to get this done as far away from international windows as possible.”

“(The CSB deal) is the first domino that probably needs to fall. It is probably the biggest domino as well,” Johnston said. “But I think once that one falls, everything else will be smooth sailing by comparison. Do I think that’s going to be an easy domino to fall? No, I do not.”

But unlike some others in the media, Kloke added context after this by stating end of CSB means demise of CPL, loss of jobs in the Canadian soccer economy and a number of national team players got their development in CSB-owned L1s. Kloke's sources say CSB paid approximately $100k to cover the rights and production costs to ensure Sinclair’s final match was broadcast on TSN.

Two points I found interesting in the piece

1) The well off European based players aren't as involved in the negotiations.  It isn't a "priority" to them.  So the argument that the rich greedy players are being selfish  is dispelled.

2) Montagliani's "stick to sports" quote.  If that kind of dismissive attitude and parochial lack of understanding of the importance of elite talents was persuasive at high levels of the CSA it's no wonder it's taken so long to get this all in the rear view mirror.  What a douchebag.

6 minutes ago, Meepmeep said:

Two points I found interesting in the piece

1) The well off European based players aren't as involved in the negotiations.  It isn't a "priority" to them.  So the argument that the rich greedy players are being selfish  is dispelled.

2) Montagliani's "stick to sports" quote.  If that kind of dismissive attitude and parochial lack of understanding of the importance of elite talents was persuasive at high levels of the CSA it's no wonder it's taken so long to get this all in the rear view mirror.  What a douchebag.

I dont think the argument is that the rich players want more money. Everyone knows that +/- 100k is nothing to davies. Everyones known that its the lower earners and CWNT who want their cut because it would be a significant impact on their wages. So not dispelled at all. 

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I dont think the argument is that the rich players want more money. Everyone knows that +/- 100k is nothing to davies. Everyones known that its the lower earners and CWNT who want their cut because it would be a significant impact on their wages. So not dispelled at all. 

Actually any agreement has to take into consideration right to images shirt sales etc as well as their personal likeness value so best players have much to gain or insist on gaining through their agents. 

Doesn’t the “ football is their life”guys refer to players who have agents and PR folks who advise on these matters?

10 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Actually any agreement has to take into consideration right to images shirt sales etc as well as their personal likeness value so best players have much to gain or insist on gaining through their agents. 

Doesn’t the “ football is their life”guys refer to players who have agents and PR folks who advise on these matters?

I assumed players on the national team had agents. Is that wrong?

4 hours ago, red card said:

“(The CSB deal) is the first domino that probably needs to fall. It is probably the biggest domino as well,” Johnston said. “But I think once that one falls, everything else will be smooth sailing by comparison. Do I think that’s going to be an easy domino to fall? No, I do not.”

But unlike some others in the media, Kloke added context after this by stating end of CSB means demise of CPL, loss of jobs in the Canadian soccer economy and a number of national team players got their development in CSB-owned L1s. Kloke's sources say CSB paid approximately $100k to cover the rights and production costs to ensure Sinclair’s final match was broadcast on TSN.

Did Johnston say that the CSB probably needs to end, or just the current deal/terms? The two are not the same thing.