The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

It's one example of the type of sentiment that is everywhere I see discussion about Canada soccer online (e.g. comments on news articles, twitter, insta, reddit etc.). It's not one poster. I think the strikes, player's press releases, and the Westhead articles have likely had tangible effects on CPL. I've had friends hesitant to come to games because they see the league as some sort of villain

Which was the most dumbfounding and aggravating part of it all because that appeared to be exactly the intent of those player's statements. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Normally I would agree but there are plenty of guys on here who think the same way, and we ae the people who are usually paying more attention to the whole picture eh??  

All that shit had an effect on CPL and the national teams.  From the day we qualified there was a steady drip drip of ugly news coming out between the men/women/CSA.   And the media trying to construct some sort of scandal to drum up click bait stories.   As soon as there was a significant pie (mens WC $$) to divvy up, everyone was very vocal about getting their share.  To hell with the youth program or future mens camps that would have helped prep that team for the next challenge. It was a massive success in mens qualifying, but in typical CDN soccer fashion we pissed away the goodwill/positive energy fighting amongst ourselves, men vs women, players vs CSA, fans/players vs CSB/CPL.   I just hope that they finally sign whichever deals they still need too, get these growing pains out of the way and start pulling together....CSA, players(men/women), CSB, CPL, MLS clubs etc etc.   

You see what people are really about when money comes into the picture. It's unfortunate, because the amount of money everyone is clamouring over is a fraction of what is needed to develop the game at all levels in this country.

The bandwagon emptied 18 months ago and has been gone longer than it was around.

Over the last decade we've built a really good community in Calgary in support of both the pro club and the national teams and are very slowly starting to build a culture in the city. People stopped caring about this battle. Just get a deal done and move on with it.

Edited by shermanator

On 9/21/2023 at 3:33 PM, Bison44 said:

Its kind of funny, since they all parted ways, TFC and Vanney/LAG are still spending top of the table money...with middling to poor results.  Bez has been much more frugal at Columbus and fielded better teams.  

I honestly think Vanney and the 2015-19 braintrust just kind of lucked upon having their European DP scouted on transfermarkt and football manager actually be motivated and that damn good. Without Giovinco showing up way more than expected, the golden era is just a minor bump in results with no silverware. It's hard to give them much credit for the signing either given their repeated attempts at the same kind of thing

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Given the CSA handed CSB the rights to most CMNT games it shouldn't come as a huge surprise if the talking heads at halftime during a CMNT game sing from the CSB hymn sheet. 

Julian De Guzman played for the national team.

Julian De Guzman played for and then was GM of the Ottawa Fury and didn't want them joining the CPL.

Julian De Guzman works for TSN as a pundit, who doesn't carry national team games except for the World Cup and Copa America if we advance, because OneSoccer bought the rights from CSB who you say were handed the rights from the CSA.

And you think it is some kind of agenda for him to back his league and broadcasting rivals, and to go against the players from his former team?

Just now, Kent said:

Julian De Guzman played for and then was GM of the Ottawa Fury and didn't want them joining the CPL.

Julian De Guzman works for TSN as a pundit, who doesn't carry national team games except for the World Cup and Copa America if we advance, because OneSoccer bought the rights from CSB who you say were handed the rights from the CSA.

And you think it is some kind of agenda for him to back his league and broadcasting rivals, and to go against the players from his former team?

Yup.  

36 minutes ago, shermanator said:

You see what people are really about when money comes into the picture. It's unfortunate, because the amount of money everyone is clamouring over is a fraction of what is needed to develop the game at all levels in this country.

The bandwagon emptied 18 months ago and has been gone longer than it was around.

Over the last decade we've built a really good community in Calgary in support of both the pro club and the national teams and are very slowly starting to build a culture in the city. People stopped caring about this battle. Just get a deal done and move on with it.

I see it as those who have always controlled the money were then going to mismanage the new money and give it out to those who didn't deserve or earn it.  

24 minutes ago, Kent said:

I mean, there's people on here who believe TSN is out to "get" the CSB and sent their "hitman" after them.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'd be interested to know about the revised CSB deal Noonan had discussed. That all went pretty quiet.

Probably the WC sponsorship bonanza never happened.  Maybe next cycle???  

And the TSN CSB hitman wouldnt be DeG or any of the on air guys.....you know who it is........

33 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Oh man I remember how pissed off some posters were around here towards JDG when the CSA screwed over the Fury and he defended his club.  Guess he's back in the good books?

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is that what happened?  I remember JDG disparaging the CPL and the club resisting the push to integrate a Canadian team into a Canadian league. 

Actually, never mind. I don’t want to rehash this old stuff anymore.

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is that what happened?  I remember JDG disparaging the CPL and the club resisting the push to integrate a Canadian team into a Canadian league. 

Not going to say the Fury shouldn't have joined a Canadian league but the way they were strong armed and threatened was by the CSA was not the way to go about it.

35 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I see it as those who have always controlled the money were then going to mismanage the new money and give it out to those who didn't deserve or earn it.  

Prior to qualifying,  Herdman went on a podcast (Northern Futbol) and said THE most important aspect of qualifying was the bonus money because it would fund badly needed NT camps at all levels .......

34 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Probably the WC sponsorship bonanza never happened.  Maybe next cycle???  

And the TSN CSB hitman wouldnt be DeG or any of the on air guys.....you know who it is........

Well, since I never considered anyone to be a "hitman".... But I know some people declared it to be a TSN policy as a whole.

27 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Well, since I never considered anyone to be a "hitman".... But I know some people declared it to be a TSN policy as a whole.

I know neither network is clamouring for OneSoccer personalities but I’ve never seen any of them appear on their radio stations, yet they’ll have Kloke or others from outside the big two on there. Makes you wonder.

EDIT: I think Platt and KJ went on Sportsnet radio a couple times recently, so maybe it is just a TSN thing?

Edited by FreddyCanuck

21 minutes ago, FreddyCanuck said:

I know neither network is clamouring for OneSoccer personalities but I’ve never seen any of them appear on their radio stations, yet they’ll have Kloke or others from outside the big two on there. Makes you wonder.

EDIT: I think Platt and KJ went on Sportsnet radio a couple times recently, so maybe it is just a TSN thing?

There's only a small handful of TSN radio stations even left. I don't know what they devote their time to.

Sportsnet in Vancouver only occasionally talks soccer because they get a lot of backlash when they do. They've had KJ on in the past but honestly can't remember if that was before or after he went to OneSoccer.

24 minutes ago, FreddyCanuck said:

Wheeler fills in for the afternoon show host role on TSN radio every so often.

57 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

There's only a small handful of TSN radio stations even left. I don't know what they devote their time to.

Sportsnet in Vancouver only occasionally talks soccer because they get a lot of backlash when they do. They've had KJ on in the past but honestly can't remember if that was before or after he went to OneSoccer.

The morning guys in Vancouver on Sportsnet have been very open about not giving a shit about the backlash. Last week, they essentially said, if we have to talk Canucks every hour of every day, we will lose our minds. This was in response to complaints about Christine Sinclair talk. When there are matches, they will talk Canada Soccer in the lead-up and post-match. I believe they have had OneSoccer people on in the past. I'd say the sports hierarchy on Vancouver sports radio is: Canucks (by far), Seahawks (Vancouver's #2 team really), general hockey (NHL/international), soccer (international / Canada), baseball, Whitecaps, BC Lions, golf, rugby, NBA (last by a landslide - I think they spend more time speaking about Canada being a hammer-throw powerhouse than the NBA). 

47 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

The morning guys in Vancouver on Sportsnet have been very open about not giving a shit about the backlash. Last week, they essentially said, if we have to talk Canucks every hour of every day, we will lose our minds. This was in response to complaints about Christine Sinclair talk. When there are matches, they will talk Canada Soccer in the lead-up and post-match. I believe they have had OneSoccer people on in the past. I'd say the sports hierarchy on Vancouver sports radio is: Canucks (by far), Seahawks (Vancouver's #2 team really), general hockey (NHL/international), soccer (international / Canada), baseball, Whitecaps, BC Lions, golf, rugby, NBA (last by a landslide - I think they spend more time speaking about Canada being a hammer-throw powerhouse than the NBA). 

They do, when the story is big enough. But they also hold back from talking about it more than they'd probably like to, if it was totally up to them.

This last year I had someone who covers Cavalry in the local newspapers regularly in reach out to say that all local sports coverage is determined purely by analytics now; so things like page views solely determine what is covered. Meaning like all other local sports, the little soccer that is out there is at risk of going away in favour of even more NHL coverage because that's what gets clicks.

Cavalry has gotten a lot of love on Sportsnet 960 but the people who gave it that love are mostly gone and moved over to the FlamesNation podcast. And this despite people who work there being in the supporters section every game.

And then for supporter led content, there just is no audience for it. I've spoken to people who tried to make YouTube channels and they'd put in hours of work for a few hundred views. It just isn't worth the time to put in the effort. I've put in more effort than I should into growing the Foot Soldiers YouTube channel, which includes the odd clip of the national teams, and there just isn't much interest. Subtle plug please subscribe please please

I know local sports coverage has been dying a slow death for the last few decades, but if we want soccer to be covered even a little bit by TV stations and newspapers, it helps to share and read their articles and stories. So if you come across one, click it, read it, and share it. That helps keep it around and hopefully grow over time.

Of course, that requires that people actually care enough to consume the content.

Edited by shermanator

4 hours ago, Ivan said:

Prior to qualifying,  Herdman went on a podcast (Northern Futbol) and said THE most important aspect of qualifying was the bonus money because it would fund badly needed NT camps at all levels .......

And he’s right. They are badly underfunded and those camps need to be a priority. But that doesn’t mean the CSA was going to use that money to further camps for the various NT’s. 

4 hours ago, FreddyCanuck said:

TSN radio in Ottawa does a good job of covering Atletico and talking Canada soccer.