Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

37 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What makes this situation different than Tomori etc. is the 2026 World Cup. Does he want to be playing in a World Cup at 20 or for England youth? That’s going to be a tough call for him. 

hes going to play for england youth not only for oppourtunites but because hes not canadian hes dad is. hes english 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What makes this situation different than Tomori etc. is the 2026 World Cup. Does he want to be playing in a World Cup at 20 or for England youth? That’s going to be a tough call for him. 

He could always make his WC debut for England in 2030 and still be eligible for 4 world cups (if everything in his career over the next two decades goes right, of course).

On 8/3/2023 at 10:04 AM, VinceA said:

I hate how pessimistic I've become when it comes to Dual-nats. I have no faith in this guy playing for us.

I don't see it as pessimism, just realism.  Some guys will play with us, others won't.  And that's okay.

We have a great starting 11 and a pretty damn good bench when everyone is healthy.  There is no dual-nat out there that would immediately walk into our starting 11.  Most would have to work pretty damn hard just to make our bench.  This is no longer 2015 where we needed anyone of quality. 

Sit back, enjoy hearing about this kid and if he moves on to England, then he'll be just another player in another league and you can move on to the next kid.  My mental health is much better these days in this respect.  I don't get wound up one way or another.  Every dual-nat that commits to us is a bonus and not a make-or-break decision.

16 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I don't see it as pessimism, just realism.  Some guys will play with us, others won't.  And that's okay.

We have a great starting 11 and a pretty damn good bench when everyone is healthy.  There is no dual-nat out there that would immediately walk into our starting 11.  Most would have to work pretty damn hard just to make our bench.  This is no longer 2015 where we needed anyone of quality. 

Sit back, enjoy hearing about this kid and if he moves on to England, then he'll be just another player in another league and you can move on to the next kid.  My mental health is much better these days in this respect.  I don't get wound up one way or another.  Every dual-nat that commits to us is a bonus and not a make-or-break decision.

Same, except in the case of CB's that can immediately walk in and solidify CANMNT.

18 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I guess it depends if he gets game time and where but this kid plays in positions we struggled with this summer (and really at the World Cup.)  I don't think I can be quite as casual.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

Same, except in the case of CB's that can immediately walk in and solidify CANMNT.

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I guess it depends if he gets game time and where but this kid plays in positions we struggled with this summer (and really at the World Cup.)  I don't think I can be quite as casual.

Yeah, I get that people are worried about the middle of defence after this summer, but I have a number of thoughts on that:

1) He's played a few preseason games.  Let's see how he does on a regular basis at top speed. 

2) CONCACAF is a different breed.  You can be playing in a top five league and still struggle against CONCACAF opposition for various reasons.

3) We spent most of the summer cramming square pegs into round holes: insisting Bombito is a DM, McGraw as an outside CB, Vitoria into a position that requires a body 10 years younger, panic-station defending for the last ten minutes against Guadeloupe.  All good experiments, but experiments nonetheless.

LDF will not solve our backline today.  In five years, he might be another piece.  But many things can happen in five years: AJ's intelligence or Bombito's athleticism might make them elite CBs, McGraw might be best in the middle rather than trying to keep up with speedy wingers on the outside, Miller might continue to progress as a late-bloomer as might Kennedy, Cornelius might continue his upward trajectory.  Also, we might abandon three at the back making the hole less of a problem. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this kid and hope he knocks it out of the park.  But if he chooses England, then on to the next one.  My guess is that kid is playing in NCAA right now and no one knows about him a la Johnston and Bombito.

11 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, I get that people are worried about the middle of defence after this summer, but I have a number of thoughts on that:

1) He's played a few preseason games.  Let's see how he does on a regular basis at top speed. 

2) CONCACAF is a different breed.  You can be playing in a top five league and still struggle against CONCACAF opposition for various reasons.

3) We spent most of the summer cramming square pegs into round holes: insisting Bombito is a DM, McGraw as an outside CB, Vitoria into a position that requires a body 10 years younger, panic-station defending for the last ten minutes against Guadeloupe.  All good experiments, but experiments nonetheless.

LDF will not solve our backline today.  In five years, he might be another piece.  But many things can happen in five years: AJ's intelligence or Bombito's athleticism might make them elite CBs, McGraw might be best in the middle rather than trying to keep up with speedy wingers on the outside, Miller might continue to progress as a late-bloomer as might Kennedy, Cornelius might continue his upward trajectory.  Also, we might abandon three at the back making the hole less of a problem. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this kid and hope he knocks it out of the park.  But if he chooses England, then on to the next one.  My guess is that kid is playing in NCAA right now and no one knows about him a la Johnston and Bombito.

Nothing is for sure in football, of course, but you when you are us and have the disadvantages we do, we need to bet in players early.  

I was tampering my expectations based on his limited achievements up the thread.  I have seen many players come and go, in a few Premier League games let alone preseason ones. But if he gets time along side Ream and Jedi Robinson, he can contribute in CONCACAF pretty quick.

But all that doesn't change what we need to do.  Whether we want to protect our feelings about his possible jilting us or not.

11 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Agreed with it all, especially the bold part!  We keep trying to experiment with everything except just accepting we don't have the proper tools to play 3 at the back.  Solution might be as simple as playing two pillars like Bombito and McGraw in the middle and focus on our strength which is on the flanks and up top.

Starting to seem like Herdman only knows and understands how to coach the back 3 and he refuses to learn or adapt.

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

Solution might be as simple as playing two pillars like Bombito and McGraw in the middle and focus on our strength which is on the flanks and up top.

Our team would look very different with a backline of Bombito and McGraw/Miller with Laryea and Davies on the outside and AJ playing DM.  I think that might be a back five that would be tough to play against.

All that to say, there are options.  It's not all doom and gloom if a 17 year-old decides to play internationally for the country he was born and lived in his entire life.

Life is so much better as an optimist. 

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Our team would look very different with a backline of Bombito and McGraw/Miller with Laryea and Davies on the outside and AJ playing DM.  I think that might be a back five that would be tough to play against.

All that to say, there are options.  It's not all doom and gloom if a 17 year-old decides to play internationally for the country he was born and lived in his entire life.

Life is so much better as an optimist. 

I am optimistic about going after him and getting him.  I don't think there is any real optimism in not caring or pursuing.  Maybe I am misunderstanding? 

Tomori getting England caps was disappointing but made nothing doom and gloom, some of the great Canada experiences I had came in the immediate year and bit after.

I am West Ham and Canada, bad things happen, dreams fade and die, you  make new ones.

(Side note: If AJ is Johnston, he needs to stay on the outside or in a 3 where he can get outside easy, one of the best crossers we have. I would move Laryea central before him.) 

Only reason I have a glimmer of hope is that he did accept a U20 call up with us, and I think that Herdman/Canada Soccer will be so enthralled with a young premier league player, especially after losing Tomori, that they can offer him whatever it takes to bring him over. Not sure what that looks like, but if they offer him the same opportunity they gave Bombito at the Gold Cup, but at Copa America, that's probably more than what England can realistically offer him for the next several years. Still an outside shot, but maybe if his dad is Quebecois Ivan Mitrovic, we might have a shot.

Edit: he follows england but not us on IG and liked all the comments on his contract signing post except the ones telling him to play for canada. we're so done

Edited by InglewoodJack

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

he follows england but not us on IG and liked all the comments on his contract signing post except the ones telling him to play for canada. we're so done

His dad likes posts on Twitter with Canada flags but you can probably take that with a grain of salt

He hasn't attended an official England camp since u16. However he is open to it.

He's also very open to and would likely accept a call from Canada.

I mean, he did prepare a package with the FFC academy which they sent to the CMNT. That shows quite a bit of intent. 

Starting in the summer series isn't indicative of his current ability. Fulham has a CB crisis currently and he's one of 3 CB's with senior contracts. However sky is the limit with him. 

23 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

We Canadians do have lots of accents. Which is the most interesting? I like the Newfoundland accent - very unique.

The first time I heard Squizzato speak in an interview, I was like "Why does he sound so familiar to me" Then it hit me he talks exactly how I do. Apparently we have some sort of St. Clair West accent or something LOL