Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

2 hours ago, jordan said:

Damn he looks pretty impressive, a lot of balls flowing through him, not panicking and making smart decisions. What a dream it would be to get him. Whats the England pool like for players like him? I thought he was more of a wing back but he's playing centrally here. 

Rico Lewis comes to mind of being a more wing back by trade but being good on the ball, 18 playing for Manchester City (though never at CB). So maybe we get lucky with guys being ahead of the pecking order for him and we can offer more permanent game time?

If there’s one thing that gives me hope with this kid is that we’re the only country to have given him a chance so far, I find a lot of dual nationals we fight over or lose it’s because they were passed on by Canada or ignored but he’s the complete opposite. I think for just the sake of potential you have to call him up ASAP and hope he accepts, could be an absolute game changer to our program.

8 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

If there’s one thing that gives me hope with this kid is that we’re the only country to have given him a chance so far, I find a lot of dual nationals we fight over or lose it’s because they were passed on by Canada or ignored but he’s the complete opposite. I think for just the sake of potential you have to call him up ASAP and hope he accepts, could be an absolute game changer to our program.

True but we also gave Tomori his first chance at international footy and he bolted as soon as he made the Chelsea first team.

Luc also AFAIK hasn't been in camp with us, he was just agreed but couldn't come.

7 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I think the most dangerous duals are the ones for nations around our level. We’ve seen guys like Musah, Eustaquio, Balogun etc. take the smart route in recent years with their choices and guys like Tomori will always serve as a cautionary tale. 

6 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Damn he looks pretty impressive, a lot of balls flowing through him, not panicking and making smart decisions. What a dream it would be to get him. Whats the England pool like for players like him? I thought he was more of a wing back but he's playing centrally here. 

Rico Lewis comes to mind of being a more wing back by trade but being good on the ball, 18 playing for Manchester City (though never at CB). So maybe we get lucky with guys being ahead of the pecking order for him and we can offer more permanent game time?

At FB: Lewis, James, Livramento, TAA (if he doenst move centrally), walkers-peters, spence, chilwell, shaw, sessegnon, Justin, lamptey, Thomas, Hall, laird,

CB: Stones, Guehi, Tomori, gomez, godfrey, Chalobah, colwill, white, harwood bellis

Theres tons of competition with guys who will be the vets when hes old enough to be in the england squad, guys who are slightly older and likely a bunch of guys who will develop later on around his age. 

He will have to become an elite player to have a chance. At 17 and getting prem minutes, he could become elite but I think theres a good chance we get him. 

I think hes the dual I want most followed by koleosho and then jebbo. 

He's a RB and was involved in our last U20 cycle, was in the 1st camp but withdrew at last minute because of Injury and then was not selected for the final roster for Qualifiers.

I think we should all take a deep breath here before we start calling him a dual-national panic or talking about the depth chart of England lol.  

I thought he had been involved with England at youth level but that seems to be another thing my brain made up! I am sure if he appears again in this tournament the England youth set up will be in touch if they haven't before. Definitely gives us a bit of an advantage (especially if we stayed in touch 🤞) and if we can arrange a Friendly for September it would be a great chance to call him without him having to get cap tied. He might join the new norm of playing the long game in u21 programs that will best enhance his career options and get his pro career stable. Doesn't mean it isn't worth asking though! 

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I thought he had been involved with England at youth level but that seems to be another thing my brain made up! I am sure if he appears again in this tournament the England youth set up will be in touch if they haven't before. Definitely gives us a bit of an advantage (especially if we stayed in touch 🤞) and if we can arrange a Friendly for September it would be a great chance to call him without him having to get cap tied. He might join the new norm of playing the long game in u21 programs that will best enhance his career options and get his pro career stable. Doesn't mean it isn't worth asking though! 

There ton's of teenagers in every team in the premier league/championship/league one seeing preseason minutes.  The bar to get a call up to England is very high unlike ours... for one of the U19/U21 teams yeah it's possible, but he'll end up with us in the end if he's still good enough.

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2023-07-16/luc-de-fougerolles/montrealais-de-seconde-generation-espoir-de-premier-plan.php

La Presse posted an article about him recently. He said he's not made any decisions about which nation to represent... door is open, even for countries other than England.

Quote from article:

However, he does not want to close the door to the English selection at this point. Or even to an as yet unknown selection.

“Maybe if I dig a little deeper, I could get another [nationality],” he drops.

Edited by PastPros

3 hours ago, Footyeh said:

He's a RB and was involved in our last U20 cycle, was in the 1st camp but withdrew at last minute because of Injury and then was not selected for the final roster for Qualifiers.

It's true that he has played as a RB during his youth career, but he's also been playing above his age group for most of that time. I suspect one of the reasons they used him as a RB was that he was not physically mature enough to play as a CB against the older boys. He looks to have the height to play as a CB and was used in that position at the end of last season. I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking to transition him to a CB role this year.

Looking across our pool of prospects, he's probably the most promising CB candidate that we have.

4 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

It's true that he has played as a RB during his youth career, but he's also been playing above his age group for most of that time. I suspect one of the reasons they used him as a RB was that he was not physically mature enough to play as a CB against the older boys. He looks to have the height to play as a CB and was used in that position at the end of last season. I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking to transition him to a CB role this year.

Looking across our pool of prospects, he's probably the most promising CB candidate that we have.

Who are our CB prospects. 
1. LDF 
2. Stefanovic
3. Chisholm - He could very quickly become #1 or #2 
4.Smith..ish
5. Knight Lebel
6. Pearlman
7. Yao

Are there others I am forgetting?

2 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

1. LDF 
2. Stefanovic
4.Smith..ish
5. Knight Lebel
6. Pearlman
7. Dunn
8. Ferkanus
9. Yao

1 minute ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I was gonna say Bombito but 1) he’s got national team game time and 2) might not even be a CB long term. Same age as Yao though

Oof! They do not feel the same age... Im not sure if that makes bombitos status go higher or yaos go lower. 

Imagine him and Knight-Lebel both start getting a good amount of playing time in the Prem/Championship this year and both commit to us. That would make our future CB outlook go from awful to amazing in one season. 

Just you guys wait when we put out a back 3 of De Frougolles, Knight-Lebel and Johnston against Brazil in the Copa America.

26 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Imagine him and Knight-Lebel both start getting a good amount of playing time in the Prem/Championship this year and both commit to us. That would make our future CB outlook go from awful to amazing in one season. 

Just you guys wait when we put out a back 3 of De Frougolles, Knight-Lebel and Johnston against Brazil in the Copa America.

image.gif.6e77428ea91cc1bb2095d94d2d2fd97a.gif

5 hours ago, Bigandy said:

1. LDF 
2. Stefanovic
4.Smith..ish
5. Knight Lebel
6. Pearlman
7. Yao

How can LDF be our top CB Prospect if he's played RB probably 95% of his career and no one here has probably ever seen him play outside of a few twitter clips😅

Chisolm is a LWB/LW.  

Knight-Lebel... we saw he wasn't any better than our domestic guys with the U20's.  

41 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

If we're talking fantasy and wishes, then ideally Johnston is not playing RCB.  That is not his best position. 

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

Someone like Josh Deming or anyone related to Canada soccer should try to reach out to get him an interview, it might help us by showing that we care and also give us some clarity on his current situation at the National and Club level.

Recent interview with him and his dad from Montreal press:

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2023-07-16/luc-de-fougerolles/montrealais-de-seconde-generation-espoir-de-premier-plan.php

Edited by PastPros

I had tweeted out to Peter Galindo like a year ago after the u-20 roster announcement and why wasn't De Fougerolles on the team. Peter did not respond, but I think his father had randomly replied to me and said that he wanted to be on the team but could not because he had to write his GCSEs (final exams in UK to get into Colleg/6th form)...so I guess there is hope