Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

3 hours ago, downtownordinary said:

Much ado about nothing but I just want to say that if he plays with us he'll continue the strange coincidence of many Canadian Men's players with "de" names.  De Rosario, De Guzman, DeJong, DeVos.  We don't currently have one playing so we need him! 🤪

Yes, but there is also the other De Guzman that we lost out on, and that one really hurt.

4 hours ago, downtownordinary said:

Much ado about nothing but I just want to say that if he plays with us he'll continue the strange coincidence of many Canadian Men's players with "de" names.  De Rosario, De Guzman, DeJong, DeVos.  We don't currently have one playing so we need him! 🤪

I think we need to lean into this to get him to come over. Kind of like how teams give their star players #10.

"We want you to be the "de" of the Canadian national team for the rest of your career."

On 7/27/2023 at 6:02 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

Just as an aside, others to debut in the EPL at 16/17:

Jack Robinson, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Jose Baxter, Isaiah Brown, Matthew Briggs 

Most of those guys couldn’t play in MLS, so certainly no guarantees in any event. 

I agree that theres no guarantees but robinson is a premier league player/championship. He would arguably be our best defender outside of davies. Isiah brown is a prem/championship/eredivisie player. He would easily play in the MLS and be on our squad. Briggs was playing for years in the championship and even though he never really took off, he would have been good enough for MLS during the 2010ish era. 

The other 2 are complete flops. 

However, if you look at probabilities, I can look up loads of 17 year old prem debutants who become superstars or at the least, prem/championship quality players.  

If i look at 16 year old debutants in the MLS, there is not a single star (Pepi is arguably a star in fairness). Busio? JMR? Colyn?  
Now the jury is still out on 75% of them, but I know which odds im taking as a betting man. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I agree that theres no guarantees but robinson is a premier league player/championship. He would arguably be our best defender outside of davies. Isiah brown is a prem/championship/eredivisie player. He would easily play in the MLS and be on our squad. Briggs was playing for years in the championship and even though he never really took off, he would have been good enough for MLS during the 2010ish era. 

The other 2 are complete flops. 

However, if you look at probabilities, I can look up loads of 17 year old prem debutants who become superstars or at the least, prem/championship quality players.  

If i look at 16 year old debutants in the MLS, there is not a single star (Pepi is arguably a star in fairness). Busio? JMR? Colyn?  
Now the jury is still out on 75% of them, but I know which odds im taking as a betting man. 

Izzy Brown actually retired at age 26, though I agree he could have easily played in MLS/for Canada while he was playing.

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I wonder if these 16 year olds were put in too early. Would a stop along the way work better? For example, would a very young JMR do better with his development in the CPL, for example, for a year or two before making a hyped up but very short tenure in MLS? After all, they are not all called Davies. 

6 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I wonder if these 16 year olds were put in too early. Would a stop along the way work better? For example, would a very young JMR do better with his development in the CPL, for example, for a year or two before making a hyped up but very short tenure in MLS? After all, they are not all called Davies. 

I don't think they are put in too early from a development stand point. However, I do think that they may be better off developing with regular CPL minutes as opposed to 7 meaningless minutes at the end of the match. 

I don't understand the JMR to the CPL deal. I see it on Twitter too. He's shown he can play, he's been named to the MLS TOTW a few times, his issue is that TFC doesn't develop young players and he's played out of position. European teams have tried to acquire him but Toronto has turned them down.

Just randomly went through England's national team, and guys like Declan Rice and TAA all played relatively the same amount of minutes that JMR did at the same age- less even. Obviously playing time is good, but many players who spent a year or two as teenagers barely playing with pros become fantastic players. I think another factor is that in every sport there are players who peak as teenagers. We happen to only have 3 big clubs in our country so our misses are a lot more flagrant than in England where every team in the premier league can probably point to teenagers who have played for them over the last few years and went nowhere. This also means that a player like JMR looks like he's disappointing because the Liverpool transfer never happened, but the only reason this is an issue is because our best players need to go abroad to grow their careers. If JMR was born in Liverpool, he'd have grown through their academy, he would not have had covid ruin his transfer prospects, and maybe he only reaches their senior team at 21 or 22 which we'd all be fine with, or he'd have flamed out and ended up at a smaller english club which we'd also all be pretty fine with too. It's the same deal with Colyn- if he was born in the Netherlands, he wouldn't have made his VFC debut at 15, he would've made his Jong PSV debut at that age and would likely be at the same spot he is now. But because he's Canadian, because he had to play for Vancouver, it now looks like he went pro, then his career stalled, which I don't think is the case.

These players just take time to develop and a lot of these teenage phenoms aren't even at their peak ages yet.

2 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Compilation vid against Aston Villa, leaves out him giving up the penalty but still a good watch. Noteworthy play 25 seconds in, a few steps behind Ollie Watkins but shows good recovery speed, defending, and draws a foul. Pretty impressive

The kid has jets, balls and the drive.  Looks like a pretty good package!

2 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Compilation vid against Aston Villa, leaves out him giving up the penalty but still a good watch. Noteworthy play 25 seconds in, a few steps behind Ollie Watkins but shows good recovery speed, defending, and draws a foul. Pretty impressive

LDF displays some of his potential versatility in this clip. Aside from his ability to pick a pass in tight spots, one thing that stood out to me was how solid he appeared to be when isolated out wide. It appears his experience as a RB has helped as many fantastic CBs look shaky and are exposed when dragged out wide. He looks like he could be a quality RCB in a back 3/5 as well. **

**obviously this is all based on a super small sample size but it looks like a very positive start for LDF

Assuming he sticks and gets mins with the 1st team, why not commit to Canada?  It probably  comes down to whether he would start or get significant mins with the CMNT. In the case of Jebbo and probably Koleosho they would not be starting in the WC/NL given that David/Larin and Davies/Tajon/Richie/SA occupy the Striker/Wings/WB positions and thus it was preferable to stay with a high profile youth program and get lots of Euro youth games

10 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Assuming he sticks and gets mins with the 1st team, why not commit to Canada?  It probably  comes down to whether he would start or get significant mins with the CMNT. In the case of Jebbo and probably Koleosho they would not be starting in the WC/NL given that David/Larin and Davies/Tajon/Richie/SA occupy the Striker/Wings/WB positions and thus it was preferable to stay with a high profile youth program and get lots of Euro youth games

1. The youth camps & teams that other more prominent countries put on (such as England)

2. The self-belief that he can make the English team

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Fulham just signed Calvin Bassey a LB/CB from Ajax for 19M pounds. 

Perfect, that should knock him down a touch. Nows the time to cap him!

Seriously though, maybe he could get loaned somewhere? Seems talented enough to start in a lower league as opposed to playing youth ball again. Unless they still want him around the first team.