Luc de Fougerolles

canuckgbp

Does it feel a bit like our prayers have been answered post-World Cup?

I feel like the sentiment leaving that was “we need more talent coming through at the CB position” and the Soccer Gods said “Ok here’s de Fougerolles, Knight-Lebel, Stefanovic and a guy you haven’t heard of yet in Chisholm”. 

They might not all pan out (or play for us) but it’s exciting to see talent coming through. 

15 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Does it feel a bit like our prayers have been answered post-World Cup?

I feel like the sentiment leaving that was “we need more talent coming through at the CB position” and the Soccer Gods said “Ok here’s de Fougerolles, Knight-Lebel, Stefanovic and a guy you haven’t heard of yet in Chisholm”. 

They might not all pan out (or play for us) but it’s exciting to see talent coming through. 

Uhhh let's see these guys actually play meaningful games regularly and in the case of LDF actually see them accept a Canada call-up.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Uhhh let's see these guys actually play meaningful games regularly and in the case of LDF actually see them accept a Canada call-up.

For sure. We are miles away from some of these kids. But we are always miles ahead of where we used to be with youth prospects which is promising. 

45 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is it that? Someone in the comments said something about him having gone to a £30k/yr school- guess I have to brush up on my British accents 

A lot of time, the accent is as much about class as location, compare his accent to co-commentators like Andy Townsend or Tony Gale, who both spent formative years around South London as well, Gale with the Fulham academy. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Lazar has already turned down the US callups.

I think we’re good there, De Fourgerolles is the one where we need to get our own program going because England youth is going to call him. 

Oh, that I did not know about Lazar. That’s awesome news, I’m high on his potential. LDF is really going to be a hard one. He’s a British kid playing in England- don’t think we should be surprised if/when we lose him, but gosh, what a steal that would be if we can cap him. At least he plays a position where he could realistically come in and start right away. 

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Lazar has already turned down the US callups.

I think we’re good there, De Fourgerolles is the one where we need to get our own program going because England youth is going to call him. 

I wouldn't say so in the short term.  He is getting lots of hype in preseason but they have other centre backs just signed or injured.

And this is Fulham not Tomori's Chelsea with an ex-England player as manager.

Of course I have been wrong before. I think it will be one of those awful situations where we hope he doesn't get too good too fast.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Oh, that I did not know about Lazar. That’s awesome news, I’m high on his potential. LDF is really going to be a hard one. He’s a British kid playing in England- don’t think we should be surprised if/when we lose him, but gosh, what a steal that would be if we can cap him. At least he plays a position where he could realistically come in and start right away. 

Call him up now for friendlies and let him know that he'll be an important piece for us at an earlier time than for England. Could be an important piece for us at 20 years old in 2026, let alone potentially Copa next year. 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, he’s also a Canadian playing for Toronto and he’s gotten called to Canadian camps for the youth. They know him, I’d be really stunned if we lost him. Also helps that we have our boy Oso there to mentor him and recruit him.

Lazar is one of the better CB’s for his age in NA, I believe even top 3 from what I’ve heard, he really could be something.

LDF looks good but then next thing you know there’s 10 kids from city who are better then him… it’s tricky because there’s just so many. Not saying he isn’t good but maybe he isn’t their best prospect or close to it as they would have called him, if they do than yes he’s going to stick there throughout because of how much the play, just like our boy Jebbison whom we will get around 2025 or 2026 lastest. 

Just now, Dominic94 said:

Yeah, he’s also a Canadian playing for Toronto and he’s gotten called to Canadian camps for the youth. They know him, I’d be really stunned if we lost him. Also helps that we have our boy Oso there to mentor him and recruit him.

Lazar is one of the better CB’s for his age in NA, I believe even top 3 from what I’ve heard, he really could be something.

LDF looks good but then next thing you know there’s 10 kids from city who are better then him… it’s tricky because there’s just so many. Not saying he isn’t good but maybe he isn’t their best prospect or close to it as they would have called him, if they do than yes he’s going to stick there throughout because of how much the play, just like our boy Jebbison whom we will get around 2025 or 2026 lastest. 

I've watched a bit of Stefanovic's games with TFC and he looks very solid. Hoping that that -vic last name doesn't come with a Serbian passport though, don't want to deal with that again.

For LDF, totally. I think it's more about what the player thinks he can achieve vs. what's realistic. Even with 10 better City players and some 14 year old Premier League starter that is bound to come out of nowhere any time soon, at 17, starting friendlies for Fullham, if he cracks their team this year and I was his agent, I'd be pumping him up as the next big English wunderkid and tell him to pursue that dream until the wheels fall off; Canada will be waiting to cap him at 24 if anything.

Unlike Jebbison or Flores though, I think we can actually offer LDF playing time right away as a contributor, not just a cynical cap. He isn't in the premier league yet, but realistically, how far off is he from Vitoria and Miller if we were to give him the (lol) Bombito treatment and just throw him into the fire day 1? I think we can play him without sacrificing our team quality. Hell, give him the (again, lol) Bombito treatment and play him as a midfielder if that piques his interest too.

*the lol isn't a knock on bombito, just funny that he's the guy who got the red carpet rolled out for him