Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

25 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Herdman mentioned the possibility of an October camp for the out of season MLS guys. Honestly it would not be a bad idea. The US is going to be doing one.

Might be a good way to evaluate some guys who could be factors in 2023 and beyond.

This is how it could look:

Thomas Hasal
Isaac Boehmer

Lukas Macnaughton
Doneil Henry
Richie Laryea
Cristian Campagna
Raheem Edwards
Jakheele Marshall-Rutty
Marcus Godinho

Ralph Priso
Michael Baldisimo
Rusell Teibert
Jonathan Osorio
Noble Okello
Mark-Anthony Kaye
Ryan Raposo
Jayden Nelson
Deandre Kerr

Ayo Akinola
Lucas Cavallini
Osaze De Rosario
Sean Rea
Tosaint Ricketts

Campagna is there because Herdman knows him and HFX ain't making the palyoffs. Osaze is there just because I rate him lol. Rea as well although Valour are currently in a playoff spot.

Lets just leave off Pasher and Shaffelburg and put on every bit of scrub remotely resembling a player from TFC.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you did that without telling your employers and are just not going in that day, you are both officially Voyageurs.

Lol I'm filming a TV series in Liverpool ATM and am taking the day off and going back into work the 28th...(I never take days off especially during the week...so SHH...) Have to fly in and out of Vienna I think...

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Lol I'm filming a TV series in Liverpool ATM 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-waterfront-taken-back-time-24893192.amp

?

Ironic that you are filming in Liverpool now when he has moved all the way out to Basel.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

13 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I don't really have faith in them making the playoffs.

Agreed. They’re not making it. 

I was actually adding to your previous response, though. You were accused of putting “every bit of scrub remotely resembling a player from TFC” and I was pointing out that you listed several non-TFC players.

This is going to be a camp for MLS players not involved in the playoffs (or not on a long playoff run), so obviously it would mostly include TFC and VWFC players.

1 hour ago, RS said:

You also put in 8 Whitecaps players, but that must’ve been hard to notice.

True--I was mocking the whole premise, the Caps player list is as ridiculous as the TFC filler list. I guess I was impatient because it seems to totally miss the point.

1-if it is true the CSA will organise it, it is for the core WC players, to get them into game fitness before the WC. That is Cavallini up front, Kone, Kaye, Osorio and Piette in the middle; defenders being Waterman, Miller, Laryea and Johnston. Two keepers, Crepeau and St. Clair. Add Henry and even Edwards if you like; even Shaffelberg and Pasher: 15 in total. Someone else? Enough to play 7 a side, enough to line up in a scrimmage vs. a CPL or NCAA team. You need not one more, unless you have Campagna-type players helping the team train.

No scrub from any club.

2-remember you don't do that camp immediately after the season ends Oct 9, or 10 days after, maybe not even two weeks: unless you think they are going to do a month-long camp.

You let them rest after the season, and then seek to bring them back in and build them up to a peak for the Japan friendly. So you do it a few weeks before you have to be ready for the Japan friendly, late October likely. Even very early November could work.

3-we already saw how in January the CSA-Herdman were getting MLS players to train early in smaller groups, or giving them fitness programmes, to accelerate their readiness for that qualifying round. No reason that could not be done here as a preview to this purported camp. First, programs for individual fitness, then the camp.

4-the business of this or that player being in the playoffs: in fact, any of the Canadian core could be out of the playoffs by the time the camp is run. Not just those whose teams will miss them.

In fact, the only one who cannot be out of season already after the first round, mid October, is Crepeau because his team most likely gets a bye. St. Clair and Shaffelberg would face each other if the playoffs started today. Montreal would face Columbus and could be eliminated by the third week of October. So it's all moot.

5-semi finals of the playoffs is late October, and you need the players ready for the Nov 17 friendly vs. Japan. You could start in there do two weeks, a bit more, give them a short week off before the call-up drops. 

No scrub.

Playoffs not necessarily conditioning the camp.

Even if MTL say makes the final, you could let them celebrate the Cup, given them 5 days, then call them into a readiness camp 10 days before our friendly happens.

Any MLS player in our core NT set-up could make the camp, and any could benefit from it. Even those making the final. With no need for a single guy not already on Herdman's broader list.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

So cool seeing our crest next to theirs. We'll be up against some wonderful footballers.

Hope our boys are up-to-date on their tetanus shots with Suarez in the squad. 

An amazing baller, but a scum move. I will never forget the Chiellini bite -- or the others for that matter. No place in the game, and frankly, should have been banned for much longer. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

50 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

An amazing baller, but a scum move. I will never forget the Chiellini bite -- or the others for that matter. No place in the game, and frankly, should have been banned for much longer. 

Actually not, it was a long ban.

It's much worse to break someone's knee and destroy their career, and potentially much more damaging to elbow, causing long term concussion effects. Those actions maybe get 3 games max.

You're childish about Suárez regardless, the only striker to rival Messi and Ronaldo consistently over the last decade.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually not, it was a long ban.

It's much worse to break someone's knee and destroy their career, and potentially much more damaging to elbow, causing long term concussion effects. Those actions maybe get 3 games max.

You're childish about Suárez regardless, the only striker to rival Messi and Ronaldo consistently over the last decade.

You can disagree regarding the ban, but I'm "childish" about Suarez... What does that even mean???

3 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

He bite a psv player once  as well while in Ajax. I think it was much worst than the chiellini

7 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

You can disagree regarding the ban, but I'm "childish" about Suarez... What does that even mean???

It was like a decade ago, and it was a single incident. 

There was not even mid-term consequences for the person who suffered it. And zero repetitions.

So grow up, it's childish to harp about such things then a guy on your team has probably broken a knee, destroys a career and you've not batted an eye.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It was like a decade ago, and it was a single incident. 

There was not even mid-term consequences for the person who suffered it. And zero repetitions.

So grow up, it's childish to harp about such things then a guy on your team has probably broken a knee, destroys a career and you've not batted an eye.

It was not an isolated incident. He's a repeat offender. Breaking someone's knee has no place in the game and neither does biting.

But I guess @Sal333 was right. You seem to think biting isn't that serious. You are entitled to that opinion, but I happen to think it's very serious. For someone who has done it habitually, Suarez is extremely lucky to still have a career. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

3 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Does anybody have any betting odds for Canada vs Qatar? Bet365 hasn't released theirs yet. I'm going to be very curious about the betting odds because I think Canada will comfortably win this. People overestimate Qatar imo, including bookies.

I don't think anyone's released any yet. 

4 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Does anybody have any betting odds for Canada vs Qatar? Bet365 hasn't released theirs yet. I'm going to be very curious about the betting odds because I think Canada will comfortably win this. People overestimate Qatar imo, including bookies.

it's a friendly match, so I don't think we'll see any odds until 1-2 days before the match...

there are advance odds for the world cup matches, and you could sort of derive some odds based on what qatar and canada are to win outright:  qatar at 351,  canada at 151.   same logic applies to each team to qualify from the group stage:  qatar at 7, canada at 3.75.  

i would expect canada to be favoured to win the friendly based on that. 

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I am most definitely one of those weirdos

So, if we need a win against Morocco to advance to the knockout phase in Qatar, and we're leading 2-1 in 2nd half stoppage time, you'd prefer one of our players standing on the line simply allow a goal-bound shot to go in rather than stop it with their hands in order to satisfy your notion of fair play? Don't lie to yourself.