Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

21 minutes ago, RJB said:

Cheating is dishonest and sneaky.  It's trying to get away with something without officials seeing.  Put it this way: is fighting allowed in hockey?  It is, and it is part of the rules.  So, when a player fights they are doing so within the rules of the game, and they get punished.  Now, if a player sucker punches another, that is not ok; they were trying to get away with it.  

The big question for me is: Would you have done what Suarez did in that game?

Fighting is not allowed in hockey.  There are specific rules to punish it. Just not as severely as in other sports. Kicking someone is normally punished much more severely in hockey than in football because of the context of the sport.  Does that mean kicking someone is allowed in football? No.

"Violent conduct" for example fighting is part of the rules of football, so by your logic it is allowed in that sport as well.

There is nothing in the definition of cheating that says it has to be stealthy - it is doing something "dishonest" or "unfair" ie. breaking a rule or agreement that "gains you an advantage".

I could tell my wife I was going sleep with my co-worker and unless she agreed, I would still be cheating on her because I broke the "rules" of my marriage agreement.  You still would say I cheated on my wife.

I have answered the last bit a bunch of times, of course not.

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You play to the whistle, throwing up a hand is cheating, no matter what happened before.

Not anymore.  VAR will go back in time to find a foul in the build up, 5, 10, minutes, looking for a foul.

As an aside - yes, I'm still pissed that NZ had their goal waved off for a dubious foul in the build up against Costa Rica.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good catch, even I would not have gotten it, and I live in a neighbourhood with a few bars in Espanyol colours!

It doesn't help that the backpack is black and the printed logo is blue (Club Brugge colours).

I'm sure if it was a full colour logo it'd be harder to make that mistake.

I have checked the sports media in Slovakia, and no know reports.  The last one was on the 16th, and they said that tickets should be available in a few days.   I imagine tickets for the Bratislava will be available because people there are interested in watching Uruguay... and a little Canada ;)

The Real Madrid fan club also seems excited to watch Federico Valverde in Bratislava.

Edited by Buchta

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I didn't think Doneil was called but unless I am seeing things, that looks suspiciously like him walking behind Waterman and Laryea as the latter two greet each other.

Actually on a hockey site I frequent, a poster uploaded Canada's national team players in French and Henry was on that list. They probably forgot to remove his name after they found out he had an injury.

https://twitter.com/NiltonJorge/status/1570821311454408706?s=20&t=wyQueMgshAraDMLacHQ1QA

Edited by Sal333