Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

40 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The mess against Ghana? Seriously, you're not one of those weirdos, are you?

Those Suárez hands was an absolutely essential football play. If folks don't think that was necessary, at that point in the game, I don't think we are on a football forum.

He stops a goal that would have eliminated Uruguay. He's expelled but his country survives, as the Ghana penalty hits the crossbar. They go to the final round of penalties, and Uruguay wins to move on, on a Abreu Panenka.

Message to young players: watch and learn, that is how football is played. 

Btw, another Uruguay players tried to do the same thing as Suárez, they both did. Because they both had football intelligence. 

Admirable, though I prefer the Ballack yellow that saw him miss the final in 2002, hauling down a Korea player. He knew what it meant, stopped the rival counter, then scored a few minutes later. Heroic tactical foul, then watch the final from the stands.

25 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

So, if we need a win against Morocco to advance to the knockout phase in Qatar, and we're leading 2-1 in 2nd half stoppage time, you'd prefer one of our players standing on the line simply allow a goal-bound shot to go in rather than stop it with their hands in order to satisfy your notion of fair play? Don't lie to yourself. 

Honestly, that is what I think of when I think of Uruguay and the World Cup. Same as, as good as he was, Rivaldo's phantom face shot. 

Win or lose one game, that is not what I would want a neutral's memory of Canada at the World Cup to be.

Honestly. Call me old fashioned or naive or whatever.

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Honestly, that is what I think of when I think of Uruguay and the World Cup. Same as, as good as he was, Rivaldo's phantom face shot. 

Win or lose one game, that is not what I would want a neutral's memory of Canada at the World Cup to be.

Honestly. Call me old fashioned or naive or whatever.

First of all, the 2 incidents you mention are nothing alike. 

Second of all, if your enduring memory of Brazilian football is of Rivaldo behaving like a knobhead, you either don't actually watch much football, or you're a sad dupe of the disingenuous media in the Anglosphere who try playing holier-than-thou over football culture in the rest of the world. 

Luis Suarez did what he had to do in a moment. He sacrificed himself to give his team....his country, frankly....a chance. They took that chance and he celebrated their success. Well done to him.

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Second of all, if your enduring memory of Brazilian football is of Rivaldo behaving like a knobhead, you either don't actually watch much football, or you're a sad dupe of the disingenuous media in the Anglosphere who try playing holier-than-thou over football culture in the rest of the world. 

Luis Suarez did what he had to do in a moment. He sacrificed himself to give his team....his country, frankly....a chance. They took that chance and he celebrated their success. Well done to him.

I agree, sad that some fans are so clued out they never watched and enjoyed Rivaldo, so clueless.

One of the most unique players of the 90s, not a typical footballer at all. Deserved his Golden Ball, though he won it after Van Gaal forced him onto the wing against his will. 

I've seen a dozen incidents in CPL this year where a player covers part of his body that has not been elbowed or hit, gamesmanship of course and not very honest. I can't think of a single name though. Not one. Doesn't stick, the legacy of such plays, however lacking in integrity in a given moment, is delible. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Nope.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

I would not want Canada or one our players tarnished like that.  Insults, implied or other-wise won't change that especially since "you don't watch much football" is one of the oldest and most tired of those.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Nope.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

I would not want Canada or one our players tarnished like that.  Insults, implied or other-wise won't change that especially since "you don't watch much football" is one of the oldest and most tired or those.

You put up Rivaldo against Turkey as your enduring image of Brazilian football. Not 5 World Cup wins. Not Pele against Sweden as a 17-year old. Not the iconic baby rocking celebration in '94. Not Ronaldo, pre- or post-knee ops. Not 5 Ballon d'Or winners. Not the 1982 World Cup team, widely considered the best international team to have ever played. Not a packed Maracana going nuts after a home goal. Not beach football on the Copacabana. Not the greatest football commercial ever made, with the '98 World Cup team tearing around an airport. Not Ronaldinho. Not Romario. Not Thiago Silva. Not Zico. Not Garrincha. Not even Rivaldo scoring one of the greatest goals of all time in the dying seconds of the last game of the season to rescue Barca with CL qualification. You see him against Turkey.

I stand by my statement.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

So, if we need a win against Morocco to advance to the knockout phase in Qatar, and we're leading 2-1 in 2nd half stoppage time, you'd prefer one of our players standing on the line simply allow a goal-bound shot to go in rather than stop it with their hands in order to satisfy your notion of fair play? Don't lie to yourself. 

Oh yeah, since you put it that way, I'd like to invite Suarez over to date my little sister.  

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

You put up Rivaldo against Turkey as your enduring image of Brazilian football. Not 5 World Cup wins. Not Pele against Sweden as a 17-year old. Not the iconic baby rocking celebration in '94. Not Ronaldo, pre- or post-knee ops. Not 5 Ballon d'Or winners. Not the 1982 World Cup team, widely considered the best international team to have ever played. Not a packed Maracana going nuts after a home goal. Not beach football on the Copacabana. Not the greatest football commercial ever made, with the '98 World Cup team tearing around an airport. Not Ronaldinho. Not Romario. Not Thiago Silva. Not Zico. Not Garrincha. Not even Rivaldo scoring one of the greatest goals of all time in the dying seconds of the last game of the season to rescue Barca with CL qualification. You see him against Turkey.

I stand by my statement.

That is not what I said.  

I said nope when you tried to put those words in my mouth.

My enduring image of Uruguay at the World Cup is Suarez cheating.

My enduring image of Rivaldo "as good as he was" -  notice the singular - not his team, was him cheating at the World Cup. 

If you want my one image of Brazil, there are many, but if it's one, it's Bobby Moore and Pele exchanging shirts. Probably the greatest defender and the greatest player ever.

Telling people what they think, not reading what they actually wrote and saying " you don't watch much football" has been used since I was on football forums 15 years ago. 

You are entitled to your opinion but doing those things doesn't do it justice.  And I happen to still disagree with you.

I have an lunch time relegation scrap I have watch, now later today. So I bid you goodnight.

11 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That is not what I said.  

I said nope when you tried to put those words in my mouth.

My enduring image of Uruguay at the World Cup is Suarez cheating.

My enduring image of Rivaldo "as good as he was" -  notice the singular - not his team, was him cheating at the World Cup. 

If you want my one image of Brazil, there are many, but if it's one, it's Bobby Moore and Pele exchanging shirts. Probably the greatest defender and the greatest player ever.

Telling people what they think, not reading what they actually wrote and saying " you don't watch much football" has been used since I was on football forums 15 years ago. 

You are entitled to your opinion but doing those things doesn't do it justice.  And I happen to still disagree with you.

I have an lunch time relegation scrap I have watch, now later today. So I bid you goodnight.

You do know that the narrative of Ghana being "robbed" is fake, Uruguay was the one robbed, first the foul leading to the free kick was a huge dive, and afterwards the player heading the ball leading to Suarez's handball was offside... 

So the whole Suarez's handball fiasco shouldn't had happened in the first place.

But yeah, poor Ghana, Suarez bad. 

1 minute ago, Whatdoiknow said:

You do know that the narrative of Ghana being "robbed" is fake, Uruguay was the one robbed, first the foul leading to the free kick was a huge dive, and afterwards the player heading the ball leading to Suarez's handball was offside... 

So the whole Suarez's handball fiasco shouldn't had happened in the first place.

But yeah, poor Ghana, Suarez bad. 

You play to the whistle, throwing up a hand is cheating, no matter what happened before. 

Again if Canada or a Canadian player got one more game at the World Cup, like Uruguay did, but they cheated in front of the world, I would take the one less game. 

16 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You play to the whistle, throwing up a hand is cheating, no matter what happened before. 

It's not cheating.  It's in the rule book so it can't be.  Handballs are an expected part of the game that are against the rules, and are codified as such.  

8 minutes ago, RJB said:

It's not cheating.  It's in the rule book so it can't be.  Handballs are an expected part of the game that are against the rules, and are codified as such.  

That something is not cheating because it is specifically forbidden in a rule book is one of strangest takes I have heard and against any definition I have ever come acrossed.   

37 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Again if Canada or a Canadian player got one more game at the World Cup, like Uruguay did, but they cheated in front of the world, I would take the one less game. 

Somehow I knew you were going to apply some weird mental gymnastics, choosing to ignore the facts of that match which I know for sure you didn't even watch, so basically talking out ignorance, not even going to bother with your mobile sense of morality lol, have fun. 

Just now, Whatdoiknow said:

Somehow I knew you were going to apply some weird mental gymnastics, choosing to ignore the facts of that match which I know for sure you didn't even watch, so basically talking out ignorance, not even going to bother with your mobile sense of morality lol, have fun. 

I did watch it at the Italian Centre Shop in Edmonton, where I worked as a summer job.  It was around the middle of the day if remember correctly and my shift started later in the afternoon. (Check back in the last year's Edmonton meet-up thread at Santa Maria Gorretti to see some clues on that if you want, if you are wiling to have your "for sure" shaken a little.)

The facts are you play to the whistle and throwing up your hand is cheating.  I am happy to end it at that.  

13 minutes ago, Whatdoiknow said:

"mental gymnastics!" says the poster who created a brand new account to debate dumb shit anonymously...

bravo.

13 hours ago, VinceA said:

Being honest considering how shitty TFC are at defending I'd rather have Johnston at wing-back than Laryea.

It's a good point. So much competition for that position. Good thing Laryea can play on the left as well. Maybe he challenges Adekugbe for LB. And with ZBG playing so well, that just adds another option to the mix. Great problem to have. 

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That something is not cheating because it is specifically forbidden in a rule book is one of strangest takes I have heard and against any definition I have ever come acrossed.   

Cheating is dishonest and sneaky.  It's trying to get away with something without officials seeing.  Put it this way: is fighting allowed in hockey?  It is, and it is part of the rules.  So, when a player fights they are doing so within the rules of the game, and they get punished.  Now, if a player sucker punches another, that is not ok; they were trying to get away with it.  

The big question for me is: Would you have done what Suarez did in that game?

Edited by RJB